PDA

View Full Version : Q7 engine choices

Benman
February 24th, 2006, 22:38
Which would you prefer?

Ben:addict:

freerider
February 24th, 2006, 23:36
I would prefer the big diesel engine (taking money not into account). This is because the Q7 is a cruizer and diesel engines are made for this. Low-end torque makes it easy and comfortable to drive (not a lot of shifting, not nervous,...). This is not a racing machine, so a high revving engine with low torque is a big no no, especially with this kind of weight. But I'm from Europe, so I like (turbo-)diesel engines a lot for everyday driving. Especially when you look at the mileage and the diesel-prices here. You would need one hell of an petrol engine to get the same low-end torque as the diesel one(s). So I just picked the largest one :hihi:

Greetz Johan

steve
February 24th, 2006, 23:47
I voted 4.2TDI. I'd put a chip in it, get it close to 400hp and cruise on waves of torque :)

Question regarding the poll: What is a Twin Turbo Naturally Aspirated engine?:p

Benman
February 25th, 2006, 00:38
Originally posted by steve

Question regarding the poll: What is a Twin Turbo Naturally Aspirated engine?:p

LOL!!! See what happens when I type too fast!;) :D

Me, 4.2 TDI all da way! The Q7 is made for that kind of motor! Since we won't get that here, I'll have to settle for the 4.2 FSI. Although, who's to say I can't convince the Mrs. to do a TT mod to it. You know, for the torque and all.;) (Stock tranny can handle up to 750Nm!!!).

AndyBG
February 25th, 2006, 02:13
4.2 TDI

If diesel is good for Le Man Audi than it is for main also!

DIESEL is future!

:D :p :D ;)

Iceman
February 25th, 2006, 16:38
Originally posted by Benman
Which would you prefer?

5.2 V10 FSI 450 hp.
Coming soon. :D

wfg, Hans.

sturs6
February 26th, 2006, 04:13
Along with Ben I am another US Citizen who would love to have the TDI 4.2 but will have to settle for the FSI 4.2... I guess settle is not a good choice of words but you know what I mean.
:cheers:
Stuart
Q7

gjg
February 26th, 2006, 16:22
not contesting here - didn't BMW say they will bring the 3.0 diesel X5 to US? And so is MB for the M class?

Audi has such great diesel engines ..... perhaps some fart in AoA will finally wake up and use brain ....

tailpipe
February 26th, 2006, 17:35
Very interesting poll.

I am sure this engine must make it Stateside. The question is when not if.

BTW, just saw the new Q7 up close and personal. It is ENORMOUSLY HUMUNGUS. It must be the biggest mainstream SUV.

gjg
February 26th, 2006, 22:59
It must be the biggest mainstream SUV.

is it bigger than Chevy Suburban?

Benman
February 27th, 2006, 17:32
Originally posted by Iceman
5.2 V10 FSI 450 hp.
Coming soon. :D

wfg, Hans.
Iceman,

You now have you're say (poll's been edited for you.;) ).

Originally posted by tailpipe

BTW, just saw the new Q7 up close and personal. It is ENORMOUSLY HUMUNGUS. It must be the biggest mainstream SUV.

Tailpipe, as George says, it ain't bigger than the Beasts we're used to out here. It might be big where you're at, but most SUVs in the US are as big or bigger!

Iceman
February 27th, 2006, 17:50
Iceman,
You now have you're say (poll's been edited for you.;) ).
But i have alredy voted on 4.2 TDI.
If you can change that to V10 FSI that will be great. :D

wfg, Hans.

Benman
February 27th, 2006, 18:12
Originally posted by Iceman
But i have alredy voted on 4.2 TDI.
If you can change that to V10 FSI that will be great. :D

wfg, Hans.
You've got your V10 FSI.;)

Iceman
February 27th, 2006, 18:15
You've got your V10 FSI.;)

Thanks mate.

wfg, Hans.

Benman
February 27th, 2006, 18:34
BTW George, just checked BMW USA website. Doesn't show any Deisels for US, at least not CA. Figures.:rolleyes:

Benman
March 3rd, 2006, 17:15
Well, nobody's picked the 3.6 yet? Wow, what a suprise.:rolleyes: :trash:

AndyBG
March 4th, 2006, 02:23
Well, nobody's picked the 3.6 yet? Wow, what a suprise.:rolleyes: :trash:

If its performance is going to be similar to 3.2 V(R)6 that is in Touareg, there is no point buying a car with that engine.

I had a personal expirience with that engine in Touareg and all i can say that is pointeles, fuel consumption is 99% same as with 4.2 V8, but all other is well below 4.2 V8 (speed, sound...)

Big disapointment, at least for me.

Benman
March 6th, 2006, 16:49
Originally posted by AndyBG
If its performance is going to be similar to 3.2 V(R)6 that is in Touareg, there is no point buying a car with that engine.

Big disapointment, at least for me.
I agree Andy. Everyone who has driven the the V6 Touareg and Cayenne says the engine is a total dog (no offense intended to canines :D ) and is slow as all get out.

One thing I am suprised about in the poll, is that the 3.0TDI only has 2 votes! I really thought it would have had more??? Even the 4.2 FSI has 5!!!

AndyBG
March 6th, 2006, 18:08

One thing I am suprised about in the poll, is that the 3.0TDI only has 2 votes! I really thought it would have had more??? Even the 4.2 FSI has 5!!!

That is becouse you put that sweet 4.2 TDI on the list, so everybody ho likes DIESEL (me to) click on it.

I am 100% sure that the ''real world'' winner (in Europe) is going to be 3.0 TDI.

Benman
March 6th, 2006, 18:23
That is becouse you put that sweet 4.2 TDI on the list, so everybody ho likes DIESEL (me to) click on it.

I am 100% sure that the ''real world'' winner (in Europe) is going to be 3.0 TDI.
Ah, makes sense. V10TDI now has more votes than 3.0! I take it, we all like POWER!:D :thumb:

AndyBG
March 6th, 2006, 18:33
BTW, I read somewhere that VW is droping V10 TDI production in all models by the end of year, it has to do something with CO2 emisions, but this information should be taken with reserve, unreliable source.

Benman
March 6th, 2006, 18:36
BTW, I read somewhere that VW is droping V10 TDI production in all models by the end of year, it has to do something with CO2 emisions, but this information should be taken with reserve, unreliable source.
Really? I thought they just dropped it from the States?

AndyBG
March 6th, 2006, 18:44
''EURO 5'', i think it can't pass those standards, but as i sead, i am not sure.

Will see.

Benman
March 15th, 2006, 20:14
Ok, confess! Who picked the 3.6L?:D

gjg
March 15th, 2006, 20:38
Q is orderable with 3.0 TDI here - I will try to test drive one as soon as I locate stealer with diesel demo .

So far I was not able to get ANY info on 4.x TDI availability in Q - any info anyone? :vhmmm:

Benman
March 15th, 2006, 20:44
Originally posted by gjg
Q is orderable with 3.0 TDI here - I will try to test drive one as soon as I locate stealer with diesel demo .

So far I was not able to get ANY info on 4.x TDI availability in Q - any info anyone? :vhmmm:
Well, since you're right next to Germany, I'm sure you'll be getting the 3.0TDI way before we do.

I just checked the German home site and the 3.0TDI is currently available on the "Konfigurator" with a base price of 48,900.00 Euro. Maybe just drive over there and buy one. :D

gjg
March 15th, 2006, 21:10
I will test drive it .... 4.x TDI would be much better ...:thumb:

tailpipe
March 15th, 2006, 21:32

This is correct. It is a very dirty engine. Another reason why it is not being developed further is bcause it is extremely heavy. (I believe they tried to stick it in a Bentley.) instead, Audi is developing a new lightweight V-12 TDI, based on R10 techology, of course. This will be available in the Q7, A8 and possibly even in the next RS6. I kid you not. I hear a peristent rumour that two Rs6 engine options are being considered, but I will get shot if i say anymore.

A high performance diesel delivering great fuel consumption is definitely in the pipeline. It should be available in Bentleys as well as the Volkswagens.

Erik
March 15th, 2006, 21:45
Once the diesel-Audis start winning LeMans there might be different opinions about diesels... :hahahehe:

I thought Audi would stop doing the LeMans, but it might be the start of a new era.

AndyBG
March 16th, 2006, 01:50
Well, all thing have to end sometime, same is with great V10 TDI, it played its role very good in times of his market life now its time for younger, V12 TDI!!!

Benman
March 16th, 2006, 20:07
Originally posted by Erik
Once the diesel-Audis start winning LeMans there might be different opinions about diesels... :hahahehe:

I thought Audi would stop doing the LeMans, but it might be the start of a new era.

I'm hoping that their "inevitable" win this year will change things in the American market for diesels. It's about time we saw more on the road, especially sporty ones (cause the Big Rigs don't count! :trash: :D ).