PDA

View Full Version : RS6 update..

Hy Octane
February 17th, 2006, 17:02
Well, I had the knock sensors replaced in hopes it would fix the intermittent power loss I have had since birth.. No change.. Audi techs believe its software related and that one of the 'invisible' codes written to protect the motor is triggering this.. but they cant get Audi to tell them how to proceed.. apparently, Audi corp is so protective over this stuff they wont tell their techs about it..

Last week I noticed a knocking sound coming from the steering rack.. this got worse by day so I pulled in yesterday and i'm glad I did. It turns out to be the three (thats right, only three) bolts holding the rack in were very loose. Had I not had them tightened, the whole thing could have dropped and been ugly....
I'm starting to realize that my latest lemon may never work right and I must now look at the reality of giving back my car..

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 17:16
Originally posted by Hy Octane

I'm starting to realize that my latest lemon may never work right and I must now look at the reality of giving back my car..

Paul:cheers: ,

I'm so sorry to hear about your woes... it really is not supposed to be like that. You don't deserve such horrible luck (what's the saying, "Nice guys finish last"?). You have shown such patience with all of this and still, after all this time, you have still refrained from ranting and raving.

As sad as this is to say (and I can't believe it's coming from my mouth), you may be right. It may be time to throw in the towel. I don't know what to recommend. I don't know what to say, only that I wish you the best of luck on whatever you decided to get. And considering this link: http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8411 , another Audi is not the for sure way to go.

I sure hope you get a better experience with whatever car you get, The Lord knows you deserve it.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

nene
February 17th, 2006, 18:47
I'm with the BenMan on this one. So sad that such an issue is happening to you.

RobertV
February 17th, 2006, 20:21
Paul,
I wish you luck with the path you end up taking. You have been a saint with all of the issues you have had.
I'm sure that AOA will do the right thing and will respect your wishes. You sure do meet the requirements for lemon law.
I do hope that you have some miles with smiles when the beast was running well.
I do recall a few good posts from you :)
If you do go lemon, please let us know what your next ride will be.
The best to you and yours.

JAXRS6
February 18th, 2006, 16:36
So sorry ... but I hope the lemon process goes well if you pursue it. Maybe some of my experiences can somehow help.

I'm probably around #3 or so for downtime on my RS6, having one instance of a 30-day stay and three of two weeks duration. I neared a lemon decision more than once. And I used the lemon threat as part of my argument with AOA as I was approaching 50K mi (end of factory warranty) when arriving in Florida last November with my CEL on even after stopping at a dealership in Atlanta. Without shouting, I noted my car qualified as a lemon on at least two threshholds and strongly suggested they consider extending my warranty. And after looking into my car's service records, they did -- for another 12K mi and 12 mo as long as I'm the owner.

My engine performance issues disappeared 35K mi ago, after the wiring harness was replaced. It's a huge job and I doubt AOA wants to pursue it often, but in my case it was not even an AOA decision. I was so pissed about an earlier instance of poor communication between Germany and AOA, which caused the 30 day downtime, that AOA arranged for my dealer tech to get on the phone with an Audi tech in Germany. They spoke for an hour, I was told; the wiring harness was replaced, and that was the end of my engine problems. (Earlier failed efforts included replacing the ECU twice.)

Lifestyle was another factor in my decision to hang on. When I had too much downtime with my 1972 XJ6, I had to get rid of it because it was interfering with my career. But now I'm (semi-)retired, so that's not a factor.

I decided to keep my RS6 because I love it when it's running right, and after shopping around I can find nothing to compare. Every alternative requires giving up something -- power, AWD, sedan comforts, etc. The RS6 gave me a good run with no problems (35K mi) and could do the same again.

My snowbird lifestyle lends itself to two vehicles, so recently I purchased another (SRT6). This gives me transportation at both condos while also cutting in half the high rate of mileage being accumulated on the RS6.

Beyond such personal circumstances, before lemoning the car I would think about the fact that at least two guys on this board came back to the RS6 after getting rid of theirs initially.

You certainly have had extreme problems with your car -- more than enuff to justify lemonhood. Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well for you! :D :D :D

PS - There's another thread or two about lemons that might be of interest. One conclusion I recall is that lemoning can take a long time and not always have a great amount of $$$ at the end -- depending in part on what state you're in, I think. Consensus seemed to be that an Audi buy-back is much preferred, and I know there was AOA discussion about that with my car at one point.

Aronis
February 19th, 2006, 13:42
Hy Octane,

You are a Saint to put up with all this.

I'd have blown a gasket by the first month!

Perhaps a shinny new S6 V10?

Mike

noushy
February 19th, 2006, 17:01
My car has started to have an annoying clicking sound through the relays at cold start. I does not seem to affect power, but audi will not fix it. I am getting the impression that there are somethings out there that AOA has no desire to fix or report. I suspect they are trying to avoid more massive recalls or repair work due to cost. My advice is keep pressing the issue, Audi does not want a major public issue out of this, especially in light of previous debacles. RS6 owners are near the top of the crop for them, and they need us to keep cars like the S6, S8, and RS4 selling.

Noushy

JAXRS6
February 19th, 2006, 17:23
Originally posted by noushy
My car has started to have an annoying clicking sound through the relays at cold start. I does not seem to affect power, but audi will not fix it.

That's a bit disturbing, doc. What is Audi (the dealer I presume) saying? If it's intermittent and the CEL is not coming on and they cannot diagnose, perhaps it's understandable, but ... please tell us more. Did they actually hear the clicking and refuse to fix it even though you are still under warranty? That is outrageous, if true!

What dealer, or is it AOA?

noushy
February 19th, 2006, 18:02
Jack,
It has something to do with the intake and the return gases, and yes it is a series of relays (I think a pair on each side) located in the drivers footwell area. They fixed the problem once, and it returned. They (AOA and Rochester Hills) say that it does not cause any major problem and audi is not going to fix it. My car did not have that problem until about 30k miles. It only happens when the car is cold, and it initially takes off. Once on way, it rarely happens except at stop lights. It does not seem to affect high speed driving, only initial take off. Engall knows about it, but he says there is not much he can do. It is going in next week for the 35k service, and to fix the onstar again (fifth time). I think I will bring it up again, but either way, I am only keeping the car another 10 months. The way Audi seems to be taking car of people with this car, I would strongly advise not keeping it past the warranty. If I buy another Audi, it will be an S6 or S8.

Noushy

mmaturo
February 19th, 2006, 23:53
Well now I know what the clicking is...mine does exactly the same thing at the same times you mention, and yes it is damn cold out. Only has been doing it since my last engine out experience two months ago. 33K on the clock. I was beginning to wonder if it was my dead pedal or something low under the dash loose that maybe it was wieght shift at starting off the line, but clearly is a relay of some type.

Hy Octane
February 20th, 2006, 21:06
Mine has a clicking sound but it comes from the EVAP valve located on the passenger side of the engine bay just in front of the firewall. Its the deal that recycles the fuel vapors from the tank to the motor. It clicks really loud sometimes and others you cant hear it.. Audi already replaced mine .. the new one is a little quieter but still clicks..They all do it.. nature of the beast/...

noushy
February 20th, 2006, 21:42
Hello all,
The clicking sound I was referring to is a series of relays, and it is in the drivers footwell, not the passenger side. It only does it on cold starts, and when pulling away from a stop. It does not do it on hard acceleration at speed, (ie on the highway), but usually from leaving the driveway/garage in the mornings.

Noushy

mmaturo
February 20th, 2006, 22:33
Mine is the same as Nousy's.

Paldi
February 22nd, 2006, 03:26
Was there a service event in the past that required removal of the rack? That's a very unusual issue indeed!

Hy Octane
February 22nd, 2006, 18:22
It has had so many shop visits that the answer to that is probably, but unknown..