PDA

View Full Version : Week three in the shop for DRC system

Aronis
February 17th, 2006, 13:53
Well this is the end of week three for the repair for my DRC system.

Week one - drop off week - parts were in - or not in - two left side control valves, need a left and a right.

Week two - right and left valves in, installed, On-Star module changed (but not coded at On-star). Pick up last Sat, rear shocks clunking, handling terrible, On-Star not on. Took car home, dug out On-Star, called in ESN and SIDN to On-Star, got On-Star working and phone also, had to eat left over minutes since dealer did not take note as stated of how many minutes were left. So I planned on taking the car to another dealership, got half way there, got call on my cell phone from the original repair site, he really wanted me to let them try again, so I turned around and brought car back to them and got a nice loaner (A6 :)) , now end of week three waiting on two rear shocks.

Week three - they located and ordered two rear shocks (right and left) but still reluctant to order front shocks as well. So far no word on parts, but expect them in today! Perhaps they will have the new rear shocks in early next week.

Moving tomorrow, truck all loaded, leaving at 5 am, trailering the A6 loaner so I have a ride back home after the move to apartment. LOL.

Next step after DRC is repaired, new tires - going with PS2's as they appear to get the most complementary comments here and I have had them before on an M3.

Mike

:mech::addict: :mech: :w:

nene
February 17th, 2006, 15:45
Thanks for keeping us posted Mike. Let's hope that the rear shock replacement put an end to this nightmare. After observing that the issue remains only after valve replacement, one wishes they'd be smarter about replacing all parts that my indeed new attention. Keeping fingers crossed.

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 15:57
Originally posted by nene
After observing that the issue remains only after valve replacement, one wishes they'd be smarter about replacing all parts that my indeed new attention.

Mike:cheers:

That is just ridiculous! They STILL haven't ordered all the correct parts?!? Man, I can only imagine how tweaked you must be! Three weeks, that just sucks. Your getting up there with HyOctane!

Hope this ends soon for you (and in a good way).

Ben:addict:

gjg
February 17th, 2006, 17:58
Mike, we (rather my partner) had the same issue around three times - at the end, after major pissing contest with the local equivalent of AoA (much smaller but about the same shitty attitude) car went to different dealer and viola .... properly pressurized DRC does wonders ....

this is 01/2004 manufacturing date Avant.

I had - so far - not a single problem with my + since I got it, manuf. date 07/2005

it is rather shocking to see such level of service provided in US - it also demonstrates the committment and ability of AoA to provide quility service for cars they sell ...

On the other hand, don't worry - next one will not have 3 or 4 years of warranty services and you will have better incentive to make the dealership work for the money. That is, if you will go that way. :doh:

Aronis
February 17th, 2006, 21:23
One more part on order, seal kit, due in on Saturday.

Supposed to be finished on Tuesday.

Mike

Aronis
February 22nd, 2006, 02:37
Week 4.

The new rear shocks are in, and the system recharged. I have not driven the car yet, was going to pick it up today after hearing it was 'done'.

But they wanted to keep it a few more days to drive it again after it sat in the cold!

Apparently today the drove it again and heard a thump from the rear. This was not as loud as before, but 'still there' even after changing the shocks, thus they came to the conclusion that it 'must be something else.'

This is despite the fact that the thump as very loud before and the ride was horrible.

I was told they took everything out of the trunk trying to find the thumb, and somewhere along the way disconnected what ever control module which leads to the keys being decoded to the car! This is more than just a dead battery in the key which requires an easy recode which anyone can do....so they need all the keys to recode. I wonder why this module needed to be disconnected?!?

So, apparently the ride is ok and the loud noise is gone, but they are going to keep working on the car for another week to find the last little noise.

I told them I dropped a small flash light somewhere behind the rear seats about 6 months ago, but they too had the back seats out and could not find anything. ( I looked for that flash light for about an hour! Crazy, it disappeared somewhere back there!)

I guess since I complained to AoA, they are not going to leave any bolt unchecked!

Mike

:cry:

Benman
February 22nd, 2006, 15:57
Originally posted by Aronis
Week 4...

:cry:
A whole month without the Beast!?! I can't imagine! Sorry to hear they are still "fixing" the car.:cry:

Aronis
February 22nd, 2006, 18:09
they realized I am a fussy Bastard and don't want to take any chances..LOL

Benman
February 22nd, 2006, 18:23
they realized I am a fussy Bastard and don't want to take any chances..LOL

When it comes to the Beast, aren't we all?:D

Aronis
February 22nd, 2006, 18:34
that is one of my biggest gripes (don't want Iconcls getting on my back for complaining here....)

We buy their High End Car's and get treated like we just Ripped Them Off and left the lot for 10,000 below sticker price....with a life time of free gasoline!

I'm getting a Honda Civic after this lease...

Mike

Benman
February 22nd, 2006, 20:11
that is one of my biggest gripes (don't want Iconcls getting on my back for complaining here....) :D

We buy their High End Car's and get treated like we just Ripped Them Off and left the lot for 10,000 below sticker price....with a life time of free gasoline!

I'm getting a Honda Civic after this lease...

Mike

They sometimes do act as if we're doing them a favor! Weird? I thought only Ferrari owners had to put up with that!:hihi:

BTW, for what it's worth, if you're serious about the Civic, get a Toyota instead. Personally, I prefer Hondas over Toyotas, but lately, the CSI for Honda dealers has been down. Toyota right now stands unbeatable (last year 97%! Incredible!).

Minou
February 27th, 2006, 22:56
I gather you are in the USA with your problem, let me assure you that over here in the UK things are no better. My Audi dealer in Leicester has had my Rs6 4 times for up to 2 weeks at a time to sort out the suspension, they have just finally decided that it is a DRC valve problem, which I suggested to the mechanic in January, and the part is on back order from Germany and due to arrive on march 8th. This after replacing rear shocks and front struts and bleeding the system, all to NO change. Even though they road tested the car each time and brought it back to me as"OK now".

Having run numerous Range Rovers for many years (my first was 3 years after they were produced) in standard and Overfinch modified form (small block Chevy with appropriate handling and brake mods) I have to say that the worst cars I have for being in the garage have been german, BMW and Audis. I am heading back to a uprated Range Rover I think.

German engineering and service leaves a lot to be desired.

colin

Benman
February 27th, 2006, 23:34
Originally posted by Minou
I gather you are in the USA with your problem, let me assure you that over here in the UK things are no better.

colin

Well Colin, misery loves company so at least we don't feel alone.

Aronis
February 27th, 2006, 23:39
I don't thinks its an issue of German Service, but service for a German Car in another country by service people who are NOT car enthusiasts! Why are they in that business? I don't know.

I am not about to being week 6 in a few days.

AOA Advocates have upped the anti to the regional service rep...what ever that means.

I keep asking if the Mechanic in Latham could pick up the telephone and speak with the Mechanic in so other dealership who has successfully fixd this system on another car.

Speaking with the "Resources" at AOA is useless unless one of those resources is a guy who has actually fixed this sytem before! The technocrats on their PC"S looking up specs on the system is of no use here.

The began asking questions about my lease, how long etc. today.....I think an early lease end is going to be offered.

Mike:vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy:

Benman
February 27th, 2006, 23:46

The began asking questions about my lease, how long etc. today.....I think an early lease end is going to be offered.

Mike:vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy:

Very sucky to hear!:( Sorry that things have still not worked out for you. Paul (HyOctane) seems to be in the same boat (only his is not a lease).

Well, if you do go back to Honda, the all new Civic Si Sedan is coming out. ;)

Aronis
February 27th, 2006, 23:57
Oh!

I have family (outlaws in Canada) and a family member of my wife has a guy who works for Honda where they make the Civics....they can't make enough Si s LOL..selling well I guess.

I looked at the stripped Civic sedan....14,000 off the lot.....

LOL

Mike:trash:

Aronis
March 1st, 2006, 01:40
Spoke with Assistant of AOA VP today!

Another "we will look into it"

LOL

Drove a VW GTI tonight....6 spd DSG auto....58 miles on it so was easy on it, but VERY nice...loaded for 28k, loads of room front and back, I was very surprised!

Civic too small.................

I'll hear more tomorrow, perhaps end of lease comes early....

uurrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh

Mike

mr
March 1st, 2006, 10:01
Drove a VW GTI tonight....6 spd DSG auto....58 miles on it so was easy on it, but VERY nice...loaded for 28k, loads of room front and back, I was very surprised!

did you drive the golf GTI???
I'm surprised, that you say it has more room in the back than the honda civic.
I also test drove one a few months ago -> great car in my opinion.

rgds
mr

Aronis
March 1st, 2006, 13:18
yes, it's head and shoulders above the civic for fit and finish as well.

They "compair" them in car mags, but it's a bit of a lop sided comparo because the VW is really alot bigger car! Maybe the length and width are similar, but the interior dimensions are hugely different.

0-60 is not great (6.8 sec) but highly tweakable engine...just too bad it's not AWD.

The A3 AWD model jumps up to 42,000 dollars! Big jump to get AWD (although it is also an S line loaded), I'll have to price the S4's as I have seen them NOT SELLING WELL, so I have seen them LOADED for 50,000.

But although the 28,000 GTI loaded is temping....I'm still contemplaiting the 14,000 stripped car.....then in a few years....M5.

Mike

eph94
March 2nd, 2006, 18:31
But although the 28,000 GTI loaded is temping....I'm still contemplaiting the 14,000 stripped car.....then in a few years....M5.

I'm still tooling around in our 115HP Mini Cooper!

I thought it would hard to be drive such a low-powered car after being in the RS6 for a couple of years, but it's not that way at all for me.

Ideally, I'd like a 997 C4 or C4S as the replacement for the RS6. The problem is that any car without some form of automatic transmission has an extremely low WAF (wife acceptance factor) in my household. I'm hoping in the next year or two, Porsche will come up with a version of SMG/DSG for the 997. I don't want the tiptronic.

Benman
March 2nd, 2006, 19:11
Originally posted by JJV-MA
The problem is that any car without some form of automatic transmission has an extremely low WAF (wife acceptance factor) in my household.

:applause: :applause:

I have that same problem!:D