PDA

View Full Version : Audi dropping free maintenance

firewired
February 17th, 2006, 04:24
Is anyone else surprised that Audi is dropping their included maintenance just when sales are really taking off, in order to increase profits? Another article states how they are trying to pass on more profits to dealers. I am surprised as hell, and I totally did not expect this. See linked articles:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060212/SUB/60212018

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SUB/60210144/1078&refsect=

jasaretta
February 17th, 2006, 06:19
Not in Australia

Vorsprung
February 17th, 2006, 07:55
Not in South Africa

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 15:49
Originally posted by firewired
Is anyone else surprised that Audi is dropping their included maintenance...
Didn't see the whole thing being dropped, but feared it might be heading there when they first said that starting 2004, no more brake related maintenance (for all 04' models and up).:( Seems brakes were just the start!:(

What really is bad (like the article points out) is what about people who are not getting their first Audi? What about the repeat customers? What about the Q7 I plan to get for the Mrs.

More importantly, what about all those folks who put down deposits on the RS 4?!?!?!? OM Goodness? Can you imagine their fustration! Being on the list for like 2 years only now to be told there will be ZERO free maintenance?!? That seems bogus to me! Especially when BMW still does!

Wow, maybe Bajo was right! Dang, that may effect my purchase plans... :w:

Ben:addict:

firewired
February 17th, 2006, 18:09
Good point. I have been on the list for both the RS4 and E90 M3 for some time. This development is just one more thing to sit back and give me pause in trying to decide one over the other.

Audihead
February 17th, 2006, 18:50
I'm really pissed about this one. Let's hope they will do something special for the RS4. http://dtwaudi.com/images/smiles/cussing.gif

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 20:14
Originally posted by Audihead
I'm really pissed about this one. Let's hope they will do something special for the RS4. http://dtwaudi.com/images/smiles/cussing.gif
They'd better, especially for all those who have been waiting patiently for this car.

Had they pulled this crap when I was waiting for the RS 6, I'd (believe it or not people) have asked for my deposit back and walked!

Ben :addict:

Audihead
February 17th, 2006, 22:03
I have it on good authority from an inside source that Audi is getting ready to announce a new plan. It will be called Audi Care. This will be a 4 year 50,000 mile scheduled maintenance plan that you have to purchase at the time of delivery. It will cost $550. You will get your maintenance, but you have to buy it now. Watch for it in the coming weeks and months.

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 22:07
It will be called Audi Care. It will cost $550. You will get your maintenance, but you have to buy it now.

Buy it now or anytime before you take delivery? Doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a plan before you even know if you're getting a car? No?

Well, $550 ain't free, but at least it's a lot better than a sharp stick in the eye!

Audihead
February 17th, 2006, 22:24
Originally posted by Benman
Buy it now or anytime before you take delivery? Doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a plan before you even know if you're getting a car? No?

Well, $550 ain't free, but at least it's a lot better than a sharp stick in the eye!

When you take delivery.

Benman
February 18th, 2006, 00:18
When you take delivery.

Also,

will the $550.00 apply to all of you with the high end RS 4?

I'm thinking that a Hi Po car like the RS 4 and S8 might command a premium over the regular Audis.

BBGT2
February 18th, 2006, 01:20
[i] (believe it or not people) have asked for my deposit back and walked!

Ben :addict: [/B]

Yeah right, AHA, SURE you would have.
J/K

I feel ya brother, I feel the same way you do.

Bajo:addict:

gjg
February 18th, 2006, 07:52
Originally posted by Benman

read the fine print when you get this I'd say - I'll bet that some parts will be excluded (like breaks ....)

:doh:

firewired
February 18th, 2006, 08:38
I just think the timing on this thing stinks. Audi is finally starting to sell more cars, for some customers making a switch from a competitor (say BMW) one of their big concerns is reliability, or Audi's reputation for having a somewhat tenuous history of it.

I understand your points that the numbers we are talking about are not that large when speaking about a $70K vehicle. I didn't mind that my Porsche did not include such a plan, but they never have. I also took comfort in that Porsches have for quite a longtime have been rock hard reliable, only being surpassed on J.D. Powers reliability questionnaire by Lexus.

For someone like me who has been trying to decide between the RS4 or the new M3, it has really given me a little bit of pause, and one more thing to think about. I have been on both wait lists for a while, but was set in my mind on the RS4, probably swayed in the end for things that you all consider inconsequential. For instance I love the Audi interiors better, I felt the telematics were superior, I love the super stealth factor, the extremely limited production, and the fact the RS4 is not associated with any boy racer image. I was sold on the RS4, my wife was really considering an A6 avant. Not trying to engage in hyperbole to be dramatic, the announcement had the same effect on both of us, maybe for different reasons. When I think about it intellectually I realize that we are not speaking about a large amount of money, but the announcement has made us both feel a great deal more uneasy about making the switch.

For one I think the message that AoA is sending is backwards. "dealers first, customers second." One way to not attract new customers, is screw them and reward the dealers right out of the gate. If they wanted to, as the second article states, increase the profit margin of their dealers from 1.5 to 3%, find another way to do it that doesn't make your prospective customers feel not valued or screwed. Either find somewhere else to get the percentage from, phase it in an increase gradually over time, or don't say anything and increase the MSRP by the 1 - 1.5% you need to come up with. I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if the price of the vehicle went up by 1% in September. Not with how well the Euro is doing against the Dollar, unless Audi has to increase the price of the vehicle anyway. Can you imagine if for MY07 cars, if they not only take away the included maintenance, but have to raise the price of the vehicles because of the weak dollar.

I think BMW is playing this right from a PR standpoint. Check out this recent article whose timing corresponds to Audi's announcement:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/FREE/60212004/1041

QuattroFun
February 18th, 2006, 19:16
With all due respect for the disappointments you feel, this whole freebie discussion is completely surreal from an European perspective...

Tanner
February 19th, 2006, 04:07
Well for NA drivers, hang on, there might be news coming in the near future regarding to the maintenance program and will not abandon "loyal customers".

That's according to one working at a dealership in the US.

Audihead
February 20th, 2006, 01:36
Originally posted by Tanner
Well for NA drivers, hang on, there might be news coming in the near future regarding to the maintenance program and will not abandon "loyal customers".

That's according to one working at a dealership in the US.

I have it on good authority from an inside source that Audi is getting ready to announce a new plan. It will be called Audi Care. This will be a 4 year 50,000 mile scheduled maintenance plan that you have to purchase at the time of delivery. It will cost $550. You will get your maintenance, but you have to buy it now. Watch for it in the coming weeks and months.

Benman
February 20th, 2006, 15:05
Originally posted by Bajors6
Yeah right, AHA, SURE you would have.
J/K

Ok Bajo, ok... you caught me, we all know I was full of crap on that one!!!:trash: :D

Originally posted by gjg
read the fine print when you get this I'd say - I'll bet that some parts will be excluded (like breaks ....)

You bet I will!!!
:thumb:

Originally posted by QuattroFun

With all due respect for the disappointments you feel, this whole freebie discussion is completely surreal from an European perspective...
A good point. But the main issue we have is the taking it away without notice. If you're living in a place with no free medical (like US) there is no issue if they take it away (cause you never had it). But imagine countries that had free medical, and then they suddenly decide, "Hmm... no more free medical for anyone!". Then there'd be an issue. Why? Because the people got used to it!

If you plan on taking something away, give people ample time to abondon ship. All the ones waiting for the RS 4... they should have been told about this in advanced! Not a few months before they take delivery! That's crap!

Also, I'm with firewired! If the dealers need another 1-2%, then raise the price of the car 1-2%. No one will be "outraged" when a $60K car becomes $61K.:doh: In fact, we expect new models to cost slightly more than the previous ones! Reality is what we perceive it to be. Taking away the "free" maintenance and then charging $550.00 is actually worse than raising the price by $900.00 and keeping the free maintenance. Because we perceive it to be.

CarbonFibre
February 20th, 2006, 17:01
Audi has raised their prices enough already. Was free maintinence ever in Europe? I don't know if it ever was or currently is. Does BMW do any of that there either? I know they do here.

Audi and parent company VW don't exactly make the numbers they want in the US compared to MB and BMW, so I guess this is just one way they are trying to boost profit margins hoping nobody would notice or mind. The $550 would still pay for itself over the maintinence duration though right?

firewired
February 20th, 2006, 19:40
I think it is also a perception thing which Audi will unfortunately loose out on with the dropping of their included maintenance plan. It just seems to not make a lot of sense to give BMW the bragging rights to having the one and only plan, particularly when they are trying to gain more market share from people who were previously BMW buyers.

firewired
February 20th, 2006, 19:40
I think it is also a perception thing which Audi will unfortunately loose out on with the dropping of their included maintenance plan. It just seems to not make a lot of sense to give BMW the bragging rights to having the one and only plan, particularly when they are trying to gain more market share from people who were previously BMW buyers.

Benman
February 20th, 2006, 22:24
Originally posted by firewired
Exactly!

No, free maintenance is not available in most European countries.

And yes, if the $550.00 maintenance pkg does cover everything, than it would be worth buying. That is, if you plan on keeping the vehicle as some people like a different/new car every other year...

lcrcr
February 20th, 2006, 23:09
I must be missing something here. Right now Audi pays for a visit each year for my S4, plus an early one at 6 months. Plus (maybe) a set of wiper blades if I need them. Am I really going to be paying more than $550 if they don't make them "free".

I currently alternate the one year visits with an interim one of my own to get the oil/filter changed. That costs me $50-60. This doesn't add up. Are you guys thinking that all of a sudden they're not paying for some additional stuff?