PDA

View Full Version : MTM exhaust - how does it work?

Squirrel
February 17th, 2006, 03:30
Hi everyone...just took delivery of my RS6 yesterday after contemplating for a year or so. Avus silver with black interior. This car was in Montana and Minnesota before coming to Texas and being certified.

First question is about the exhaust. A previous owner installed the quad pipe MTM setup (which sounds very nice IMO). Can anyone tell me how the throttle valves operate? I would've thought that engine intake vacuum would keep them closed, and they would open at anything more than atmospheric pressure, but they are open at idle. Of course I can't see what they are doing when I'm driving. Its also possible they may have been disconnected during certification - how would I know?

Are there electronic controls too?

gjg
February 17th, 2006, 13:10
check with Mike Hoppen in FL

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/index.htm

he's the MTM rep in US.

:idea:

gjg
February 17th, 2006, 13:13
Joe Hoppen Motorsport, Inc.

6245 Clark Center Avenue Unit M,
Sarasota, FL 34238

Phone: (941) 924-6380
Fax: (941) 924-6980

Email: hoppen4mtm@aol.com

TaTaPiRaTa
February 17th, 2006, 13:14
They work like this that when idle they are open, when the revs are rising one pipe each side closes, after 3/4k rpm they open again. it is computer controlled, you can adjust it at MTM shop.

Mine works perfect :)

Squirrel
February 19th, 2006, 16:12
Discovered this weekend that someone has cut the vacuum lines from the actuators, so the system is not functioning. If anyone has any installation documentation, I would appreciate the info, but in any case I will call JHM for advice. I'm sure its designed to connect to intake manifold vacuum somewhere up front.

There is a slight drone at cruise, which I imagine I can eliminate if the flaps close as designed.

AndyBG
February 25th, 2006, 03:47
Squirrel,

can you post some pictures of your car with that exhaust, if its not a problem?

ANDY

Squirrel
February 25th, 2006, 14:45
Here are a couple...no handy close-ups showing the internal workings, but there is a butterfly valve just inside one tail pipe on each side. Vacuum actuators are on top of those two tailpipes.

I've traded email with Mike at JHM and he will be sending install instructions so hopefully I can get it hooked up and working soon.

This car may look familiar...it was on ebay a couple of times in the past few months (I bought from the local Audi dealer). This one has also been discussed on AW forum as the lowest documented VIN # 903988.

Squirrel
February 25th, 2006, 14:45
one more...

AndyBG
February 25th, 2006, 15:52
Fine looking car, i must say.