PDA

View Full Version : Audi A2 successor

eazy
February 16th, 2006, 09:37
Hi guys,
it seems that there will come a little fast car:

Audi is almost going to double its model line-up until 2015, this was revealed today by Audi's head Dr. Winterkorn.

Audi wants to increase its sales up to 1.4 million units in 2015 with a model line-up of around 40 models, currently they have 22.
High focussed markets are the US, China, Russia, the Middle East, South Korea, Japan and Australia.

The future model line up will include more cabriolets, coupés, sports cars and SUVs.

Besides the already seen picture of the supposed Audi A1, he confirmed that there will be a successor for the Audi A2. But he will have nothing in common with the recently stopped Audi A2.
"We are now thinking about an extremely sporty, small car including Audi's quattro drive, an absolute eye catcher", Dr. Winterkorn said.

It's rumored that the Audi TT Shooting Brake will be the blueprint for the Audi A2 successor.

Source: Autohaus, read on germancarblog.com

greetings

eazy

tailpipe
February 16th, 2006, 12:34
My other car, or rather my wife's car, is an Audi A2.

At the time it was launched, it promised to be a sensational car:

Small on the outside... but big in the inside...

Plenty of pace... but also extremely frugal...

Bristling with technology... yet extremely practical.

Above all it was elegantly stylish and in its own way every bit as good looking as the TT.

It was a mini MPV before the concept was invented and showed just how creative and technology-driven Audi was.

Unfortunately, it was released without being properly developed and has some pretty glaring faults. The suspension is so hard that it will remove fillings from your teeth should you hit a bump. The A-pillars create a dangerous blind spot. And there just isn't quite enough leg room in the rear or enough storage space in the boot. The hatch didn't close properly on early models and needed to be redesigned and the seats don't fold easily. Worst of all was the cost. Being made from aluminium made it the most expensive car in its category.

Despite these shortcomings, we love our A2. It is genuinely a small car that drives and feels like a big car. It is in another league above the original A-Class.

Sales, however, have been slow. While the concept has taken a while to catch-on, the price was a real barrier to many potential buyers, who couldn't see the value of aluminium. In short, the A2 invented a new category long before the new mini did, that of the premium super-mini except that the A2 was practical as well as cool. it is only now that this category has achieved mainstream credibility.

Seeing how much progress Mercedes-Benz achieved with the new A-Class, which had many of the same deficiencies as the A2, I am very much looking forward to the new A2. The bad news is that it won't be aluminium. But if it can replicate the advantages of the current model and overcome its shortcomings, Audi could have a real winner on its hands. Whatever this car turns out to be, I just hope that it isn't simply a more expensive VW Polo.

eazy
February 16th, 2006, 14:50
@tailpipe

I agree with most of your arguments.
I love the styling of the A2, but most of people hate it. :doh:

Benman
February 16th, 2006, 19:36
Originally posted by eazy
@tailpipe

I agree with most of your arguments.
I love the styling of the A2, but most of people hate it. :doh:

Never got to see one till I was in the Fatherland. Loved it! The coolest little car ever! Hopefully the MkII will be everything and more that the first one one. But if it ain't going to be ASF, Audi has it's work cut out right out of the gate!

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
March 8th, 2006, 02:08
Something about this theme...

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060306/SUB/60303100/1078

freerider
March 8th, 2006, 13:38
I think this article is wrong. The Shooting Brake won't be the next A2, it shows how the next TT wil be. There are rumours that there will be a TT roadster, TT coupe and TT Shooting Brake. And the competitor for the mini will be the A1 IIRC.