PDA

View Full Version : Spring: time to turn new leaf: Movit+HRE

nene
February 16th, 2006, 04:58
Yeah! Spring time is right around the corner. That means Mod Time!

Just placed a order for Hotchkis Sport Anti-Sway bars. Along with that, I'm getting a set of 19x9 HRE 545 for the beast. I am tired of the car looking stock during the Winter months. Now my decision is between HRE or Volks during the Winter.
HRE will be brushed spokes with polished lip + clearcoat for extra protection.

Ok, so why the decision for 19" all year round? Because the darn Movit brakes going in...that's why. Movit makes 370x35 that fit up front inside the 18" rims, however I really want the 380x32 up front. That means, 19" all year round. Price is the same on the brakes for the 6-piston setup. Red calipers for sure.

I was thinking of going with 275x35 Pilot Sports A/S for the Winter months, or I can stick with Dunlop M3s as they are awesome. This will be last decision.

Erik...I am thinking of changing my license plate to "RS6 COM", as long as it is okay with you. Just a crazy thought that crossed my mind.

Some teaser pix.

http://www.hrewheels.com/images/wheels/545_lrg_s.jpghttp://www.hrewheels.com/images/wheels/545_lrg_a.jpg

http://www.movit.de/images/audrs606.jpg

Erik
February 16th, 2006, 08:32
Originally posted by nene
Erik...I am thinking of changing my license plate to "RS6 COM", as long as it is okay with you. Just a crazy thought that crossed my mind.

You are very welcome to do so! :0:

Benman
February 16th, 2006, 18:32
nene,

380s?!? Sweet man, sweet! My goodness, even in winter your Beast isn't "allowed" to look stock. And folks say I have it bad!

As for plates... I still haven't put mine on yet!:hihi:
:cheers:

Ben:addict:

gregoryindiana
February 16th, 2006, 23:11
[B]Movit brakes going in...that's why. Movit makes 370x35 that fit up front inside the 18" rims, however I really want the 380x32 up front. That means, 19" all year round. Price is the same on the brakes for the 6-piston setup. Red calipers for sure.

Nene;

Where are you getting your Movit brakes??

Is there a US supplier? I could not find a link to a US outlet on the Movit web site.

nene
February 17th, 2006, 03:15
Here's the info on the Movit setup:

1. My contact seems to be in Europe from what I gather. His name is Per Ericsson, and you can contact him at info@alltombilen.com.
This person has been amazing. Answered all my questions promptly, and unbelievable customer support thus far.

2. 380x32 6-piston front brakes (19" rims only) or 370x35 6-piston front brakes (18" rims). Both are same price. They also have a 370x35 4-piston that is about $500 cheaper.
342x28 4-piston rear brakes.
The stock setup is 365x34 (front) & 335x22 (rear).
The kit comes with braided brake lines and pads. You can buy additional pads at any local Porsche dealership.

3. The price for the kit I'm ordering is $5878 USD. There is roughly $200 extra charge for shipping. Arrives in about 3 weeks from the time the money reaches Movit. Small caveat: in addition to the amount mentioned above, there is an additional $1000 charge because they require to send back to them the rear stock knuckles. So when the work is done, you send back to them the stock rear knuckles, and they will reimburse you the $1000 deposit. I guess they modify these and sell it to the next potential owner.

4. They do the charge via invoice sent to you by mail. In turn you go to your bank, and send bank transfer to speed things up.

I got this person's contact from Movit's website directly. There was a form there for inquiries, which I filled out, and got an e-mail back the following day. The turnaround was quick, so I believe it's a legit operation.

Contact Per if you have any interest. I am sure he'd like to hear from you.

I think the Volks will be the Winter setup, and the HRE will have to be for the Summer. We'll see once they get in my hands.

gjg
February 17th, 2006, 07:43
nice plan, nene. I'm in for Movit's this summer (along with MTM)..

HRE will be real PIA to keep clean in winter .....

RS4Ever
February 17th, 2006, 08:12
wow sounds great!

when can we expect some pics?

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 15:15
Sounds sweet nene, direct from the source! Big brakes for sure and according to Nordschleife, some of the very best! Also those same brakes are used (at least in past years) on all Ring Taxi cars, and I can personally vouch for extreme performance!!!

Post pics!:thumb:

nene
February 17th, 2006, 15:43
I think the whole setup will be done by April, depending on soon things get here. As the weather starts to warm up, and all put together, pix will surely arrive.

This plan was just put in motion a couple of weeks ago, thus not all here yet.

I am thinking that the HRE being a 3-piece rim, it may be too much of a pain to keep clean during Winter. At least they have one less spoke than the Volks. Decision has been made to use Volks during Winter with 255x35x19 Dunlop Wintersport M3s.

TaTaPiRaTa
February 17th, 2006, 15:46
Here's the info on the Movit setup:

1. My contact seems to be in Europe from what I gather. His name is Per Ericsson, and you can contact him at info@alltombilen.com.
This person has been amazing. Answered all my questions promptly, and unbelievable customer support thus far.

2. 380x32 6-piston front brakes (19" rims only) or 370x35 6-piston front brakes (18" rims). Both are same price. They also have a 370x35 4-piston that is about $500 cheaper.
342x28 4-piston rear brakes.
The stock setup is 365x34 (front) & 335x22 (rear).
The kit comes with braided brake lines and pads. You can buy additional pads at any local Porsche dealership.

3. The price for the kit I'm ordering is $5878 USD. There is roughly $200 extra charge for shipping. Arrives in about 3 weeks from the time the money reaches Movit. Small caveat: in addition to the amount mentioned above, there is an additional $1000 charge because they require to send back to them the rear stock knuckles. So when the work is done, you send back to them the stock rear knuckles, and they will reimburse you the $1000 deposit. I guess they modify these and sell it to the next potential owner.

4. They do the charge via invoice sent to you by mail. In turn you go to your bank, and send bank transfer to speed things up.

I got this person's contact from Movit's website directly. There was a form there for inquiries, which I filled out, and got an e-mail back the following day. The turnaround was quick, so I believe it's a legit operation.

Contact Per if you have any interest. I am sure he'd like to hear from you.

I think the Volks will be the Winter setup, and the HRE will have to be for the Summer. We'll see once they get in my hands.

Do you think front only Movit would be ok? Do you have any info on pricing for front only? Replacement cost of pads front as well as replacement cost of front disks?
:addict:

nene
February 17th, 2006, 18:53
Since the fronts are the ones that you use mostly in the car, I think that alone is enough. I am getting the rears mostly for cosmetic purpose, as I want it to look identical.

Here is the info I got from Per on the front setup and pricing:
370x35 4 piston calipers @ $2800
370x35 6 piston calipers @ $3489
380x32 6 piston calipers @ $3489

I only inquired about the pads, and Per mentioned that I can get them from a local Porsche dealership. I will check with him on the rotors as well. Pricing for the replacement is unknown at this time.
Feel free to send him e-mail with any concerns. I am sure he will promptly reply.

Qisha
February 17th, 2006, 19:57
Dear Nene,

if you allow me to recommend something:

go with the 396x36 on the front. They fit the OE 19" Wheels with 5mm Spacers. This Rotors are the latest improvement Movit offers. If you need further Details, and your source is not able to assist, go ahead and talk to Guido:

g.frensemeyer@movit.de

Qisha

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 20:12
Originally posted by Qisha
Dear Nene,

if you allow me to recommend something:

go with the 396x36 on the front.
Qisha

396?!?!? That is stinkin huge!!!

I see Icon getting those! :D

nene
February 17th, 2006, 20:53
Thanks Q! I will talk to Per about this.
Since I'm having wheels made, I won't have to use spacers, as long as I can get the brake template.

Thanks again.

Pelle75
February 18th, 2006, 07:56
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
Do you think front only Movit would be ok? Do you have any info on pricing for front only? Replacement cost of pads front as well as replacement cost of front disks?
:addict:

Dear Marcin,

Please send me an e-mail which kit you are interested in so I can send you the price on the replacements rotors and brake pads.

per@alltombilen.com

nene
February 18th, 2006, 19:03
I want to thank Per (Alltombilen.com) and Guido (movit.de) for their quick replies and amazing customer service.

It is really amazing the one-on-one interaction I've had with these folks, and makes me extremely excited about the kit.

iconcls
February 18th, 2006, 19:36
Originally posted by Benman
396?!?!? That is stinkin huge!!!

I see Icon getting those! :D

I think the 6-pot Movit and STaSIS BBK are both very comparable in performance and price but really wanted stateside dealers for service, hence I went with the Alcons. It'll be interesting to see how the Movit choice unfolds for Nene

nene
February 19th, 2006, 16:01
I always wanted a setup that you can see the nice calipers front and rear. I checked with Per and the 396x36 setup is for 20" rims. They fit under the Audi 19" and Brabus 19", however it most likely won't fit under all 19" rims. I don't want to have to deal with this sort of unknown, so the 380x32 is good enough.

Both pads and rotors can be purchased from a local Porsche dealership. I've had my previous Brembo BBK serviced at my dealership just fine, and they actually enjoyed the change in work. The indy shop that did the work at first, left some air bubbles in the brake system, so I had the dealer change the brake fluid once again, and it was working really great. I know I can trust this dealer to do the install and service.

Since the replacement parts can be purchased from Porsche, I wonder if later I can upgrade the pads and rotors to C-A-R-B-O-N! If that is the case, I can see it done at the next service interval! Will have to check with Per on this one. Maybe Movit will have a Carbon setup soon to.

noushy
February 19th, 2006, 16:57
Nene, the HRE wheels run great, but the clear coat will not last in winter. Heck they do not do well in the summer. I have had to send mine in twice to have the clear redone on 3 of the wheels. Once you get a chip in it, corrosion begins and then all hell breaks loose. I have owned 3 sets and they all will do this. I run the stock rims, or a set of 1 piece painted rims in the winter and use the HRE wheels in the summer. Need to be meticulous about cleaning as well. The break dust builds up and becomes hard. Sometimes you have to risk scratching the clear to get it off. Email me if you want more details. For my cayenne, I ordered the centers painted to the car, and the lip polished and clear. That way, if i ever have to replace anything, it is just the rim part. The painted centers hold up pretty well.

Noushy

nene
February 20th, 2006, 00:25
Noushy,
I heard HRE is clear coating the lips this time around. I think they started to do it as folks were complaining.
Thanks for the heads up. I think the Volks will hold better during the Winter as well.

noushy
February 20th, 2006, 02:04
I should warn you about volk racing wheels as wheel. I had a pair of two piece wheels, beautiful in appearance on my gs400. The lips are extremely soft, and the finish does not hold up. I had to get rid of them. I would not recommend those either for winter application. Plus, they are not made hubcentric, but rather with spacer/adapter rings. Stick with something like abt, mtm, bbs, hre, fikse. These wheels will be a perfect fitment for the car. Buy a one piece wheel for the winter tires, and buy something lighter and flashier for the summer.

Noushy

Qisha
February 20th, 2006, 07:57
Dear Nene,

i would recommend:

http://www.mtm-online.de/imgneu/newsneu/38_1_b.jpg

You can get thoose in the shown colours and the following sizes:

8,5x19" ET30, with 255/35 19Y
9,5x19" ET30, with 275/30 19Y

I like the Titanium Finish and the 9,5x19" with 275/30 19Y Tires. The Car looks a lot different with this size of Wheel/Tire Combo.

:0:

http://www.mtm-france.com/mtm_allemagne/mtm_rs6_clubsport.jpg

Qisha
February 20th, 2006, 08:06
Dear Nene,

here you can see the 396x36 Set-up mounted on a RS6. Note the different Hand-brake Set-up on the rear. The Wheels used are OE Audi 8,5x20". The OE 9x19" also fit this application.

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/503/1460rs6-1.jpg
http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/503/1460rs6-21.jpg
http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/503/1460rs6-31.jpg

shimmy
February 20th, 2006, 12:59
O

what are these wheels. they look superb compared to others that have been posted esp the dark ones.

Do you have a web link to the manufacture?

BBGT2
February 20th, 2006, 13:22
Originally posted by shimmy
O

what are these wheels. they look superb compared to others that have been posted esp the dark ones.

Do you have a web link to the manufacture?

Wheels are made by MTM if I am not mistaken here is the link.

http://www.mtm-online.de/

MTM is one of the biggest and best Audi mod superstore.

Bajo:addict:

Benman
February 20th, 2006, 15:12
Originally posted by iconcls
I think the 6-pot Movit and STaSIS BBK are both very comparable in performance and price but really wanted stateside dealers for service, hence I went with the Alcons.
Sounds like a Cop Out. J/K:trash: :D

Alcon, very nice as well, Bauer raves and raves about them. How are they so far?

nene
February 21st, 2006, 00:36
The MTM wheels are too close in style to the stock setup. I want something with less spokes, or at least thinner spokes to show the hardware. After all, not much worth spending the money for them in my case, as I've yet to track the beast, and not looking into it as a track car. Thanks for the pointers Q. Really appreciated all the work you've done.

Erik
February 21st, 2006, 07:46
Originally posted by Bajors6
Wheels are made by MTM if I am not mistaken here is the link.

The MTM bimotos are similar, but I think these are regular Audi 20" (Audi A8).

http://www.rs6.com/articles/011.html

Not sure if you can get the bimotos in 20" yet.

http://www.rs6.com/gfx/articles/011b-l.jpg

On the RS6

"For the RS4 B7 and the RS6 we offer winter tyres in original size 255/35R19 for 9x19 inch standard rims. Also possible is the combination with bimoto rims in 8,5 or 9,5 inch spreads. Price example: Bimoto rim 8,5x19 ET30 LK5x112 with tyre Dunlop Winter Sport D3 255/35R19 for 3161,88 incl. mounting, without tax or shipping. All in stock! Please contact our sales men Mr. Linke or Mr. Costakis for further informations by mail info@mtm-online.de or hotline 0049841/9818888!"

http://www.mtm-online.de/imgneu/teilemarkt2/6_1_b.jpg

MTM bimoto (above) vs. what Quisha posted

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/503/1460rs6-21.jpg

Qisha
February 21st, 2006, 07:58
Dear Nene,

you might like the ABT Wheels instead of the MTM:

http://www.abt-sportsline.de/galerie/images/bildgalerie/rs6_avant/03011501P.jpg
http://www.abt-sportsline.de/galerie/images/bildgalerie/rs6_avant/03010804P.jpg

These are available as:

SP1 8,5x19" ET32 with 255/35 19Y or
SP2 9x20" ET30 with 255/30 20Y

ABT has a special at the moment, "used but 100% clean Wheel Sets" up to 66% discount. Contact: shop@abt-sportsline.de

OR

RH Wheels:

http://www.rh-alurad.de/bildholen3.aspx?id=38

8,5x20" with 255/30 20Y (3 Piece Design)

http://www.rh-alurad.de/bildholen3.aspx?id=68

8,5x19" with 255/35 19Y or 9x20" with 255/30 20Y (2 Piece Design)

@Erik

You are right Erik, the Wheels shown on the Pictures i posted are OE Audi Wheels. The are used on the A8 as 8,5x20" or 9x20".

iconcls
February 21st, 2006, 12:53
Dear Nene,

i would recommend:

http://www.mtm-online.de/imgneu/newsneu/38_1_b.jpg

BiMotos weigh like a biiiiillion pounds, right.

iconcls
February 21st, 2006, 12:57
Sounds like a Cop Out. J/K:trash: :D

Alcon, very nice as well, Bauer raves and raves about them. How are they so far?

On the street they're equivalent to the OEM, but then the stock calipers are plenty good for American roadways anyways.

End of April is the Chicago groups first DE, that's when I'll know if I'm a dumbass or not--or at least a dumbass for spending that kind of $ on an RS 6 BBK.

Benman
February 21st, 2006, 15:52
On the street they're equivalent to the OEM, but then the stock calipers are plenty good for American roadways anyways.

End of April is the Chicago groups first DE, that's when I'll know if I'm a dumbass or not--or at least a dumbass for spending that kind of $ on an RS 6 BBK.

For street use, you're right, OEM is PLENTY, plenty fine.

Real test will be your next track event. April is it? Let us know the results, I'm sure they'll do great.:thumb:

nene
February 21st, 2006, 16:40
... that's when I'll know if I'm a dumbass or not--or at least a dumbass for spending that kind of $ on an RS 6 BBK.

What you do with your cash is your biz! I believe that no-one on this board will board will attribute the associated equivalency of 'iconcls' with the 'arse' one. Unless no.radar wishes to chime in. He like to provoke in fun!

For a beast our size/weight, it is hard on any set of brakes at the track. The Alcon setup is sweet though.

gjg
February 21st, 2006, 20:18

.... the stock calipers are plenty good for American roadways anyways. ...

that about sums it up - ok for little driving. Here, at autobahn speeds, they suck .... :doh:

Benman
February 21st, 2006, 20:25
Originally posted by gjg
that about sums it up - ok for little driving. Here, at autobahn speeds, they suck .... :doh:
George, which is better IYO? Alcon or Movit? Any experience with Movit? :cheers:

nene
February 21st, 2006, 21:37
How boring life would be if it weren't for the bumpy ride.

Just got word from my contact at HRE that the 545s won't fit over the front brake caliper, per the brake template sent by Movit.
They recommend going with their R version wheels, which we all know has the water retention during rainy days leading to major vibration issues. Maybe the Competition wheels will work, however I have not requested confirmation. I wanted to go with less spokes and the C22 is not my taste. The C20 and C21 setup is more to my liking.

I called Wheel Power to check status of RadEnergie R5 wheels, and the 19" setup probably won't be in order until April. No word on whether these can be built to spec. Will send Mike my info, along with brake template.

The brake purchase is a lock. As for wheels, back to the drawing board I guess. I wish Audi hubs were more like Porsche. They already provide most of the caliper clearance from factory.

Stay tuned.

gjg
February 21st, 2006, 22:03
Ben, only stock at this point - I am sure you'd remember write up from Nordo about Movit's .....

sorry to hear about fit problem, Nene - what about Bimoto rims?

Benman
February 21st, 2006, 22:18
Originally posted by gjg

sorry to hear about fit problem, Nene - what about Bimoto rims?

Agreed, ain't that the way life goes? Bimoto? They look great, are they an option for you Nene?

Ben :addict:

Qisha
February 22nd, 2006, 07:48
Dear Ben,

if you would like to go for the ultimate Solution and money is not all to short, you can go for these:

(the "tiny" disc to the right is almost RS6 Stock size)

http://www.movit.de/images/6s1460x36.jpg
http://www.movit.de/images/hum10.jpg

459x36, for heavy weight Cars, like the Hummer H2.

I am not sure if this set-up has been done on a RS6 before but it is definately the largest set-up available.

Pelle75
February 22nd, 2006, 09:59
George, which is better IYO? Alcon or Movit? Any experience with Movit? :cheers:

Dear Ben,

You can read more about MOVIT on a Audi RS6 here
http://www.movit-scandinavia.com/en/products_audirs6.asp

Cheers!

nene
February 22nd, 2006, 15:32
Now that is H U G E!!!!

Benman
February 22nd, 2006, 16:06
Originally posted by Pelle75
Dear Ben,

You can read more about MOVIT on a Audi RS6 here
http://www.movit-scandinavia.com/en/products_audirs6.asp

Cheers!
Nice. Thanks.:thumb:

Pelle75
February 22nd, 2006, 17:40
Dear Ben,

if you would like to go for the ultimate Solution and money is not all to short, you can go for these:

I am not sure if this set-up has been done on a RS6 before but it is definately the largest set-up available.

Fits perfect under 24" wheels :D

Benman
February 22nd, 2006, 18:21
Dear Ben,

OMGoodness!!!

Not even an option for the Beast, but will it fit under the 20" Q7 wheels?:hahahehe: :applause: