PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler Crossfire SRT6

JAXRS6
February 16th, 2006, 03:14
I just bought a new 05 SRT6 (there are no 06s), built in Germany with an AMG-based supercharged six pushing less than 3300 lbs via 330 hp. Enjoying it a lot, except for trying to keep the rear end from losing traction at launch; tires may be part of the problem. I bought it because I've been piling way too many miles onto my RS6 and it's gotta last a while! Also need a 2nd car for other reasons.

I'm wondering ... does anyone here also own an SRT6 or otherwise familiar with the car? Do you see them much in Europe or elsewhere outside the US? Any tuners I should consider aside from Renntech?

What is the Crossfire and SRT6 reputation, if any? Do you know of any active forums on the Crossfire in general or SRT6 in particular? (I've found two but only one has a currently active thread, on one topic -- "sightings" of the SRT6.)

I bought the car based in part on a Road & Track comparo from Oct 04; the other cars were the new Z and the Boxster S. The SRT6 lost out in evaluations of handling and steering; nonetheless it was the quickest by a considerable margin (0-60 in 4.8) and turned in the fastest track time. It also won the overall comparison per the link below.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1985&page_number=1

PS - If the link doesn't take you directly to the article, use the search window to enter SRT6 and then cllick on Hot Sixes.

JAXRS6
February 17th, 2006, 17:24
Forgot to mention the great deal I got: $33.5K on a sticker of $47K.

Kinda surprised no one has anything to say....

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 18:02
Originally posted by JAXRS6

Kinda surprised no one has anything to say....
I got stuff to say, but nothing that will answer any of your questions. :p :D

You already try a google search for the SRT forums?

And $10K+ off sticker is a very sweet deal!

Ben:addict:

krm
February 17th, 2006, 18:08
Sounds like a fun little car, got any pics of yours to share?

Don't know much about this car so I am afraid I can't offer any help. Hong Kong only has the regular Crossfire as grey import. The 350Z and Skyline, it's equivalent seem to do better in our market.

JAXRS6
February 17th, 2006, 20:43
Benman: Yeah, I googled, and will again to dig deeper. So far tho, the only active forum I've found is here:

http://www.crossfirecommunity.net/Default.aspx?tabid=142

It looks OK for the standard couple, perhaps, but there is very little activity on the SRT6.

Don't worry about answering my questions. At this point I welcome any input whatsoever! :0: Even if it's not positive.

I suspect, for example, that in Europe especially, there might be some condescension towards the Crossfire, given that it began as a Benz and has now been "lowered" in status to a Chrysler. Here the effect seems to be the opposite: The car is admired because I am benefitting from AMG and Benz engineering at such a reasonable price!

krm : I'd love to share pix but that has never worked for me here. Erik tried to help by having me send pix via email once, but they still never showed up. (Pixels problem, maybe?) In a moment I will look for a link to a thread with pix on another forum; stay tuned!:D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: This should lead to my post with a pic. If you scroll down there are one or two more in my posts with a "pic" icon:

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/22963.phtml

Also -- re TIRES -- Pilot Sports, not PS2s, were standard. I have the optional ContiTouringContact ASPs, about which my Tirerack rep said: "They never were a very good tire," and that PS2s would provide a big improvement. I believe him, given that the PS2s on my RS6 have far better traction in hard driving at 25 F than the Contis offer during moderate driving in ideal conditions (60-80 F). I mean, I know AWD makes a big difference, but so do tires -- right?

Benman
February 17th, 2006, 21:54
Benman: Yeah, I googled, and will again to dig deeper. So far tho, the only active forum I've found is here:

http://www.crossfirecommunity.net/Default.aspx?tabid=142

It looks OK for the standard couple, perhaps, but there is very little activity on the SRT6.

Wow, April 28th, 2005 was the last post in the SRT6 forum! Man, that is slow!

Keep trying.:thumb:

JAXRS6
February 21st, 2006, 05:15
Unbelievable. One week with the new SRT6 and it's in the shop with an alarm problem that is defying diagnosis and making the car undriveable. The first good news is, I posted about it on the one forum I found that seems active, for all Crossfire Coupes, and already got a useful response.

The bad news is, the response was from someone who lemoned their Coupe over this issue in 2004.

The second good news is, she said her Chrysler dealer was "wonderful" about it. The second bad news is, I am not having that experience, tho I am not yet dealing with the selling dealer on this issue either. Explained here:

http://www.crossfirecommunity.net/Default.aspx?tabid=142&g=posts&t=554

The final good news is that she and her husband liked their Crossfire coupe so much, they opted for another instead of cash ... and recently added a Crossfire roadster!

Benman
February 21st, 2006, 15:49
Unbelievable. One week with the new SRT6 and it's in the shop with an alarm problem that is defying diagnosis and making the car undriveable.

Unreal! You have the worse luck (right up there with HyOctane!!!).

I sure hope it gets solved for you, although the convertible sounds nice.;)

JAXRS6
February 25th, 2006, 08:05
Got the SRT6 back Friday -- locks/remote work fine so far, no unexpected alarm, runs like a rocket. "Body control module" was replaced under warranty. Tech wrote of "having great difficulty finding the cause" and "was necessary to get Star involved." Star, I guess, is Chrysler's factory rep team; right? In any case it looks like I've dodged the lemon threat, at least for now.

Some tire questions linger. I am not happy with the way in which my Conti Touring Contact All Season Performance tires lose grip so easily from launch. Forget full power; I'm talking about temporary loss of control during an almost liesurely exit from a parking lot at 75 F. With my odo at 600 miles it still feels almost like these tires were coated with grease.
puke:

In contrast, the PS2s on my RS6 grip like glue, even down to 25 degrees F on dry pavement. I mean, I drove the car hard in the cold to test them, and they just didn't lose grip. (Again, this was on dry pavement. I would not even attempt it on snow, slush, ice, or even rain if it was below 40 F.)

Comparing the two directly isn't fair, tho, because of the RS6 having AWD and weighing nearly 900 lbs more. Maybe the Contis would suffice on the RS6, but I need more rear wheel grip on my SRT6.

Has anyone out there had experience with these two tires on the same vehicle? How did they compare? Any other suggestions? :confused: :confused:

Benman
February 27th, 2006, 16:59

Has anyone out there had experience with these two tires on the same vehicle? How did they compare? Any other suggestions? :confused: :confused:

Jax,

I haven't heard anything that great about the Contis. So maybe it's more just the tire rather than the car? As you mention, the PS2s are great, but then, that's all everyone says, so that makes sense.