PDA

View Full Version : R8 vs 911 (the NEW turbo)

RXBG
February 14th, 2006, 17:48
i hate to rehash this again but my perspective just changed. the new turbo will cost 124K US and can do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. that is insane. faster than an enzo.

the R8 will need a V10 now. or a snailed V8. whichever is lighter.

with 425 hp the base R8 should do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. a bit faster than a 911 S with the powerpack.

the vantage may as well stay home.....

Benman
February 14th, 2006, 21:31
Originally posted by RXBG
i hate to rehash this again but my perspective just changed. the new turbo will cost 124K US and can do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. that is insane. faster than an enzo.

the vantage may as well stay home.....
For sheer speed, the 911 TT will be impossible to beat for the price. It always is just as fast around the track as the Ferraris for tens of thousands of $$$ less. Always.

I doubt that the R8 (V8 anyways) will offer any competition for the TT (speedwise). The R8 V10 would be needed for that. R8 will offer other things than speed. I would imagine it will be more exclusive than the 911 TT (and certainly more exclusive than the mainstream 911 which is everywhere).

Also, the fit and finish will be better. Look at the current Porsches. Everything that looks like metal is always plastic. Interior and exterior. Drip rails, door moldings, interior trim. Then look at Audi, almost always the real deal (the cheapo plastic crap trim inside the A8 is a rare dissapointment). The gaps and fit of everything is also nicer.

Audi does their thing, Porsche does theirs. Different strokes...

Ben:addict:

RXBG
February 14th, 2006, 21:45
I doubt that the R8 (V8 anyways) will offer any competition for the TT (speedwise). The R8 V10 would be needed for that. R8 will offer other things than speed. I would imagine it will be more exclusive than the 911 TT (and certainly more exclusive than the mainstream 911 which is everywhere).

hope you're right... it will certainly be more eye-catching....

CarbonFibre
February 14th, 2006, 22:02
Originally posted by Benman
For sheer speed, the 911 TT will be impossible to beat for the price. It always is just as fast around the track as the Ferraris for tens of thousands of $$$ less. Always.
Also, the fit and finish will be better. Look at the current Porsches. Everything that looks like metal is always plastic. Interior and exterior. Drip rails, door moldings, interior trim. Then look at Audi, almost always the real deal (the cheapo plastic crap trim inside the A8 is a rare dissapointment). The gaps and fit of everything is also nicer.

Audi does their thing, Porsche does theirs. Different strokes...

Well for sheer speed, the Corvette Z06 does pretty well for the price.

On the metal vs. plastic argument, I've heard people say that Porsche decides against things like real aluminum because of them getting very cold or hot in different climates (ever had an all-metal shift knob on a 100 degree day after a car has been sitting in the sun for a couple hours?). I'm not sure if there's any truth to this or not.

About the Enzo thing, I'd love you to show me this Turbo outdrag an Enzo with launch control (they have it right?) to 60 let alone any higher speed.

Benman
February 14th, 2006, 22:13
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
Well for sheer speed, the Corvette Z06 does pretty well for the price.

About the Enzo thing, I'd love you to show me this Turbo outdrag an Enzo with launch control (they have it right?) to 60 let alone any higher speed.

True dat. The Z06 is the absolute Best Bang for the Buck mobile in all of Earthdom. And it would end up being 97.5% as quick as the 911 TT for only 57% of the price.

As for the Enzo, I said as "the Ferraris". I obviously wasn't implying the $700,000.00 Enzo (and that's if you are sleeping with Shuey, real people pay $1.2 million+), I was speaking about 360, 430, 575, etc... If I was refering to the Enzo, my post would have read, " HUNDREDS of thousands less"...

CarbonFibre
February 14th, 2006, 23:12
Originally posted by Benman
True dat. The Z06 is the absolute Best Bang for the Buck mobile in all of Earthdom. And it would end up being 97.5% as quick as the 911 TT for only 57% of the price.

As for the Enzo, I said as "the Ferraris". I obviously wasn't implying the $700,000.00 Enzo (and that's if you are sleeping with Shuey, real people pay $1.2 million+), I was speaking about 360, 430, 575, etc... If I was refering to the Enzo, my post would have read, " HUNDREDS of thousands less"...

Yeah I knew I should have quoted the other guy. The Enzo comment had more to do with RXBG's first paragraph than anything you said. Obviously the Porsche is going to be a bit of a better value relative to speed when compared with say an F430.

Benman
February 15th, 2006, 01:34
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
Yeah I knew I should have quoted the other guy.
Whoops, my bad. :cheers:

Iceman
February 19th, 2006, 00:12
Originally posted by RXBG
the R8 will need a V10 now. or a snailed V8. whichever is lighter.
A 5.2 litre V10 FSI engine weights 220 Kg.
I think a 4.2 litre V8 FSI engine will weight less but how much less is the question.
220 Kg/450 hp V10 or ??? Kg/420 hp V8 engine.

wfg, Hans.

Qisha
February 19th, 2006, 11:12
or ??? Kg/420 hp V8 engine.

198kg/420hp

The Motor has a netto weight of 198kg.

Iceman
February 19th, 2006, 11:34
Originally posted by Qisha
198kg/420hp

The Motor has a netto weight of 198kg.
In that case the V8 is the better option. :D
V10, 450 hp : 220 Kg = 2.05 hp/kg.
V8, 420 hp : 198 Kg = 2.12 hp/kg.

wfg, Hans.

maarten
February 28th, 2006, 09:48
Where did you guys hear that the 911 T can do 3,4 to 60mph?
in the dutch magazines it states 3.7 sec to 60 mph
and with the power button it will do 50 to 80 mph 0,3 sec faster :S

still a super car of course :D

CarbonFibre
March 2nd, 2006, 14:25
Originally posted by maarten
Where did you guys hear that the 911 T can do 3,4 to 60mph?
in the dutch magazines it states 3.7 sec to 60 mph
and with the power button it will do 50 to 80 mph 0,3 sec faster :S

still a super car of course :D
Porsche themselves quoted 3.4 seconds to 60 mph with the Tiptronic gearbox (which is astounding considering Porsche's traditionally conservative quotes). We can see the conservatism with a quote of 0-100 km/h in 4.3 seconds; we all know it will do it a lot faster than that.