PDA

View Full Version : Shock horror price of new S6 helps RS4

tailpipe
February 9th, 2006, 17:49
Looks like I will be getting an RS4 Avant after all.

Audi Uk is planning to sell the S6 at around £60,000!!!

:MTM:

This is close to the price of the M5 even though the performance lags some way behind. Given the RS4 eats the S6 for breakfast and costs £50,000, I suspect that it will be considerably more popular than the S6.

:rs4addict

I think Audi have really missed a trick with the S6. If it cost nearer £50,000 and had the 480 bhp its V-10 engine could so easily put out, you would have a car that would comprehensively eclipse the M5. To its credit, the latest RS4 very nearly does this anyway, so maybe the lack of interior space isn't such a bad thing anyway. it just proves that we need a new RS6 now not in 18 months time. As good as the RS4 is, it is still a generation behind while the S6 has a much more capabale chassis.

:doh:

Benman
February 9th, 2006, 17:59
Originally posted by tailpipe
Looks like I will be getting an RS4 Avant after all.

Audi Uk is planning to sell the S6 at around £60,000!!!

Call me crazy, but that car is not worth $109K US!!!

Ben:addict:

steffenr
February 9th, 2006, 18:08
60000£ thats cheap

here in denmark it will be priced at 180K+:bigeyes:

Benman
February 9th, 2006, 18:09
Originally posted by steffenr
60000£ thats cheap

here in denmark it will be priced at 180K+:bigeyes:
That car ain't worth $180K either!!!

tailpipe
February 9th, 2006, 20:27
I'm still reeling from sticker shock.

Audi's phenomenal growth in recent years, especially in the UK market, has been driven by a sense of superb value provided by its products. I think this is being increasingly undermined by its product marketing strategy.

According to what I've seen £60,000 for an S6 in Britain equals $90,000 - Audi hedges against adverse exchange rates. Whatever the final prices, relative purchasing power in both markets makes this a seriously big ticket.

So, my message to Audi is simple: charge £60,000 if you really think the S6 is worth it. But don't count on selling a whole bunch of them. And - even more important - you need to make darn sure that they work faultlessly. At this price, few people will forgive you if their S6 goes wrong.

:vgrumpy:

eazy
February 9th, 2006, 20:59
If they want about 87.000€ for the S6, what do they want for an RS6? :bigeyes:

Benman
February 9th, 2006, 20:59
I'm still reeling from sticker shock.

According to what I've seen £60,000 for an S6 in Britain equals $90,000 - Audi hedges against adverse exchange rates. Whatever the final prices, relative purchasing power in both markets makes this a seriously big ticket.

:vgrumpy:
I'm familiar with hedging, but that still doesn't change the fact that hedging or not, you are still paying $105K US for that car. Believe me, the UK purchasing power, is no greater than the US's. Yes, the fiat currency is "worth" more dollar for dollar, but then people make less dollar for dollar, etc.

Long story short, I agree 100% with you, the S6 is
not worth 109K, 105K, 100K. That is ridiculous. The last S6 went for $62K here. If the next one goes for $85/$90K US, they won't sell squat.

Benman
February 9th, 2006, 21:05
Originally posted by eazy
If they want about 87.000€ for the S6, what do they want for an RS6? :bigeyes:
Exactly!

The $87K US I paid for my Beast (with options) is starting to look like a screaming BARGIN!!!:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

clam
February 9th, 2006, 21:12
I must say it doesn't surprize me. I'd be suspicious of a car that promises so much, but doesn't cost a lot more.

And as I explained in a previous post, the V10 in this form is much better suited for this type of car than the BMW or Gallardo V10.
There is every possibility that the S6 can outperform the M5. I'd go as for as saying that, perhaps aside from straight line acceleration, it's a certainty that the S6 will outperform the M5. Have you seen the Top Gear race between the M6 and the 911. Not very impressive.

Why would Audi sell themselves short? The S6 will be every bit as good as the M5. Even better probably, if you consider that these aren't sportscars but 'sporty' luxury cars. The M5 seems to have a bit of an identity crisis on this point. That explains all the buttons. BMW couldn't decide for themselves what it should be.

Benman
February 9th, 2006, 21:18
Originally posted by clam
Have you seen the Top Gear race between the M6 and the 911. Not very impressive.

You know clam, you do make a good point, as I was also dissapointed with the M6's performance in that test (maybe "The Stig" is biased, or maybe "Porsche, there is no substitute" is really true :D ).

But be that as it may, I still find it hard to believe that the S6 could beat the M5 on any forum. Maybe I'm wrong, but pricing the S6 equal to the M5 is going to cost Audi sales.

yetis
February 10th, 2006, 12:58
WOW, that's just insane. I can think of about 6 cars I would rather have for that brass.

What is really funny, is that they appear to have set a price for a car that is not in production, yet they have not set the price in the US for RS4???

Benman
February 14th, 2006, 21:26
tailpipe,

Now that you've had about a week to think it over, have you decided between one or the other?

tailpipe
February 14th, 2006, 22:24
Benman,

I feel like I've been waiting an eternity for the RS4! It's so late and so much amazing new stuff has come out since it was announced, that I'm beginning to think that it may only ever be worth getting a second-hand one. Depreciation is the big unknown - and it's not going to be a limited edition model either.

To put this comment in perspective, the new Jaguar XK with its all aluminum chassis, leather etc only costs £60,000 and it goes almost as well as a DB-9. I would never buy a Jag, not my style, but Audis are starting to look a tad expensive., especially when you start adding optional extras.

I'll be at the Geneva Show, so will look at both RS4 Avant and S6 Avant carefully before deciding. According to Audi UK, the S6 won't cost as much as reported, which is good news. They wouldn't be drawn on price, but said it would around £50,000- £52,000. So about the same or not much more than the RS4.

Everyone says the V-10 is a GREAT engine - So much better than 5.0 litre unit in M5. A small voice keeps whispering in my head that Audi 4.2 V-8 FSI is a little fragile. BTW, it also looks like the S6 Avant will arrive before the RS4 Avant. Decision could still go either way.

Dare I admit this on this website, but I will also be looking at the Lexus stand. Rumours abound of three interesting new IS models: a 4.6 litre super sports sedan, plus a coupe and sportcross variants. I think the IS460 may have AWD too, which will make it worth comparing to RS4, especially if it only costs £42,000-£45,000. There will also be the LF-A coupe with 500 bhp and a healthy £60K pricetag.

Decisions. Decisions.

yetis
February 15th, 2006, 13:43
I had the exact same reaction, the last couple days. However, my eye has wondered over to a slightly used GT3 or 996 Turbo. It's funny, as I have that exact same "small voice", telling me the same thing about the RS4 engine.

Benman
February 15th, 2006, 15:17

Decisions. Decisions.
But it is nice to have to "make" such decisions.:thumb: