Ben:addict:

iconcls
February 8th, 2006, 22:31
(as in quiet/dead around here)

Benman
February 8th, 2006, 22:56
Originally posted by iconcls
And here I thought you were taking up that British sport...

5000S old skool
February 9th, 2006, 04:00
quiet is what the A6 platform is right now.... the new S6 isnt all the exciting a V10 with only 420bhp and tiptronic..... but this forum will spark again once we see the next real photos of the RS6...

:addict:

Audihead
February 9th, 2006, 15:56

Go over to the RS4 board. Not so quiet over there.:D :rs4addict

Erik
February 9th, 2006, 16:32
Each model has its time.

However if you like I can make this thread one of the most interesting ever... :hahahehe:

by requoting AMS who quoted sources in Ingolstadt.

The next RS6 will have a V10 turbo AND compressor and 600 hp.

This engine is supposed to be used in the LeMans quattro as well.

This engine type (turbo + compressor) is used by the new Golf, but the news release was not so big. My guess then was that they are saving it for something else within the VAG (=Audi).

Let's hope...at least it's some more wood for the fire.

Autumn 2007 - Next RS6 release.

Benman
February 9th, 2006, 17:32
Originally posted by Erik

requoting AMS who quoted sources in Ingolstadt.

:MTM: :MTM: :bow: :bow: :MTM: :MTM:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Ben:addict: (a true believer:D )

Payne
February 9th, 2006, 17:46
Originally posted by Erik

:wo: :wo: :wo: :wo:
I think the word Beast will come to a whole new different meaning:D

Ruergard
February 9th, 2006, 20:36
Originally posted by Payne
:wo: :wo: :wo: :wo:
I think the word Beast will come to a whole new different meaning:D

Then we're two! 600 hp and quattro, if that comes true it will really be an amazing car! Go Audi!

Qisha
February 9th, 2006, 20:44
600 hp

650 HP is what we will see.

Both, the TT and the TSI Concepts do have this default.

tailpipe
February 10th, 2006, 11:30
I find this post very interesting, because elsewhere i have read that Audi has a real weight problem with the RS6 prototype.

I know for sure that they have tested a variety of engine configurations for evaluation purposes, including the option described above. But adding twin turbos and a compressor is likely to create a significant weight penalty.

Also reported correctly elsewhere on the forum, the V-10 Gallardo engine has plenty of tuning potential. It is estimated to be able to achieve 550 bhp in its ultimate tuned state. So following the same type of solution as for the new RS4, i.e. putting in a naturally aspirated high power engine, could be a valid option.

In my mind, you don't need an S6 and an RS6, you need just one model that will blitz all-comers including the M5.

In stead of producing just one all singing and dancing performance flagship, i am worried that Audi will produce two flawed souped-up cruisers that are optimised around market positioning instead of delivering an optimal performance driving experience.

Why do i say this? Because the S6 only has 420 bhp when it could easily have 500 bhp. And the RS6 will probably have 600 bhp when 550 bhp would do the trick. But it needs to offer turbos because that's what peopple expect. The weight of the turbos etc will offset the performance gain, so it will need 600 bhp to counter the fact that it weighs as much as a Challenger 2 battle tank. The lighter S6 could actually be the better handling and more nimble car, while RS6 could feel ungainly and boat-like. Worst of all, a 600 bhp RS6 is likely to empty its fuel tank in about 15 minutes going at full speed. Fine when a lap of the Ring only takes 7.50 seconds. But when you're driving form London to Rome as i do most Summers (wife is Italian), the petrol stops are going to become a little boring.

And some other very smart guy has said if the S6 costs £60,000 what is the Rs6 going to cost. G*d only knows.

When all is said and done, i have faith in Audi to provide the right answer. Wanting the RS6 to arrive so much and not knowing what it is going to be like is the same as wondering whether Santa Claus is going to give you the present you want! Roll on Christmas 2007.

Qisha
February 10th, 2006, 11:40
but need to counter the fact that it weighs as much as a Challenger 2 battle tank.

At the moment i am very confident that the new RS6 wont weight much more than the new S6. ...and this with either the TT or TSI Concept.

NA Option is no longer under Research, regarding the new RS6.

Benman
February 10th, 2006, 15:02
Originally posted by tailpipe
it will need 600 bhp to counter the fact that it weighs as much as a Challenger 2 battle tank.
Let's hope not! Hopefully as Qisha says, it doesn't weight much more than the S6 (as the new S6 already weights more than the MkI RS 6:heart: ).

Quattro GmbH will have their work cut out for them trimming the fat off that Beast!

5000S old skool
February 11th, 2006, 03:57
tailpipe: I dont think the high compresion method is the best option for the RS6... Heavy cars like the RS6 need alot of torque to make the horsepower useful.... that is why the S6 has only 420hp because the compression is lowered.. lowered compression does sacrifice hp.. but it does gain torque which is what the C6 platform needs....

why cant Audi take advantage of it's ASF technology used in the A8 on S and RS models??? im sure this would help greatly with Audi's morbidly obease performace cars.....

Qisha
February 12th, 2006, 08:44
why cant Audi take advantage of it's ASF technology used in the A8 on S and RS models???

I think i posted this before, but you are absolutely right. This is exactly what is considered for the upcoming RS6.

Benman
February 13th, 2006, 15:54
Originally posted by Qisha
I think i posted this before, but you are absolutely right. This is exactly what is considered for the upcoming RS6.
The only reason I can think of for them not to use it, is a good one. Cost.

If the upcoming S6 is going to cost 60K Pound Sterling and @$80K+ US, cost for an all Aluminium Space Frame RS 6 will be :MTM: :MTM: Best guess... $120K+. I won't buy that, will you? But other than that, it would be (if all bespoke aluminium) an incredible machine!

Qisha
February 13th, 2006, 16:48
Best guess... $120K+. I won't buy that, will you?

The "old" RS6+ was 101.500 Euro (approx. ~120k$) in Germany, i guess the new RS6 will start around 110.000 Euro. This is still accepted over here. The new Porsche Turbo (997) is 133.400 Euro for example.

Benman
February 13th, 2006, 17:08
Originally posted by Qisha
The "old" RS6+ was 101.500 Euro (approx. ~120k$) in Germany, i guess the new RS6 will start around 110.000 Euro. This is still accepted over here. The new Porsche Turbo (997) is 133.400 Euro for example.
Sorry Qisha, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was for us the US price would probably be $120K+. For you guys it would be closer to 145/150K Euros. This is just a guess, but a bespoke ASF car will be way more $$$ than if it was made main stream.

Remember, ASF can not be built on same production line as steel (cross contamination) so an entire tool up would have to be created for the RS 6 ASF and if it shared a line, they'd have to squeeze it into the A8 assembly line, and that is going to cost mucho bucks. Steel seems way more likely (if not as cool). :cheers:

CarbonFibre
February 14th, 2006, 05:06
Yeah I'd say there is a zero chance of the RS6 being an ASF when the normal A6 is not.

iconcls
February 14th, 2006, 13:01
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
Yeah I'd say there is a zero chance of the RS6 being an ASF when the normal A6 is not.

I agree, Audi is way too cheap to retool for an ASF RS 6.

Benman
February 14th, 2006, 14:59
I agree, Audi is way too cheap to retool for an ASF RS 6.

Buuuut, there's no reason they couldn't do an aluminum/ carbonfiber roof like the EVO MR/ M3 CSL.

Not so far fecthed considering the some of the prototype RS 4 were running aluminium roofs for better center of gravity!:heart: Sadly, didn't make final production.:cry:

CarbonFibre
February 14th, 2006, 20:09
Originally posted by Benman
Buuuut, there's no reason they couldn't do an aluminum/ carbonfiber roof like the EVO MR/ M3 CSL.

Not so far fecthed considering the some of the prototype RS 4 were running aluminium roofs for better center of gravity!:heart: Sadly, didn't make final production.:cry:

Yeah, but these are two very different things. I wouldn't put it past them to do an aluminum roof panel or something like that as I don't think it would be dramatically more expensive or require much more effort to adopt.

Benman
February 14th, 2006, 20:22
Yeah, but these are two very different things.
Very different. But at least quattro GmbH can throw us a Bone.:0:

BTW, when were you thinking of picking up your used RS 6 you mentioned way back?

CarbonFibre
February 14th, 2006, 22:09
Originally posted by Benman
Very different. But at least quattro GmbH can throw us a Bone.:0:

BTW, when were you thinking of picking up your used RS 6 you mentioned way back?

Haha, are you talking about me? I may have mentioned wishing I could do such a thing, but I don't recall ever saying I was going to try. If only the RS6 had the resale values of recent Porsches that could plummet so far so fast I would be able to get one.

I'm probably going to pick up a new Subaru Impreza WRX STi as my car and mod it mildly with some software and exhaust tuning for like 360-370 horsepower.

s42ski
February 15th, 2006, 00:07
OK, so I know that this thread is WAY off subject, but I thought Posche's had excellent resale value ( low depreciation) has that changed ?? I do not track the Porsche resale value as they do not have any cars that I could be interested in until

a) the kids get to college

b) my wife gives up her SC430 - (not likely as she loves the stereo!)

Benman
February 15th, 2006, 00:33
Haha, are you talking about me?

WHOOPS! Wrong "Carbon", I was thinking of "CarbonLord".:p He said that way back... yep, resale has proved the wait might be awhile before prices fall low on these:addict: :heart:

s42ski, I think CarbonFibre meant compared to the RS cars. Compared to other Hi end $$$ cars, the Porsches do ok. Except Ferrari, as much as I bag on them, they're one of the very rare cars that never seem to lose any value.