PDA

View Full Version : Exciting new never-before-seen Audi model

tailpipe
February 3rd, 2006, 20:33
I came to RS6.com this evening for my daily fix of automotive gossip and opinion. But what do I find? Absolutely nothing new or of interest today.

How terminally boring!

Just to recap and refresh everyone's memory, we need info on:

1. New TT expected to debut at Paris 2006
2. NewR8 expected to debut at Geneva 2006
3. New A5 coupe
4. Roadjet
5. B8 A4
6. All-road A6
7. Q5
8. S3

...and most important of all...

The next RS6.

:applause: :addict:

In truth, the next really interesting piece of Audi news I expect to read is about engines. So anybody close to Wolfgang Hatz, tell him to spill the beans.

We want power and economy, guys. Please save us from gas-guzzling conventional petrol engines. They are so last century.

Gives us a hybrid diesel/ petrol motor with 450 bhp and 40 mpg!

Or what about a fuel cell that delivers the same BHP but only emits water as waste.

:mech:

(For those of you expecting this post to say something interesting, many apologies.)

Benman
February 3rd, 2006, 23:35
Originally posted by tailpipe

(For those of you expecting this post to say something interesting, many apologies.)
Well, dang it, that's why I clicked the link...:w: :trash:

Deisel/hybrid or fuel cell (cold fushion) would be cool... but is a waaaaaaaays off.

Ben:addict:

RXBG
February 3rd, 2006, 23:43
tailpipe, i love your "petrol is so last century" comment. it shows how avant garde we audi lovers really are. is there another car owner cooler than us?

though i do have to correct something you said. i think your TT/R8 debuts are reversed. the TT would most likely show in geneve and the R8 in paris given development time and overall timing.

tailpipe
February 4th, 2006, 11:34
RXBG,

TT versus R8 launch has got everyone guessing. My money is on R8 at Geneva and TT at Paris. :hahahehe:

Audihead
February 9th, 2006, 17:12
#4 and #7 on your list are one-in-the-same I believe. The Road Jet is the disgusied Q5. What do you think? #3 is the VW EOS, You'll get a good picutre by looking at that.

tailpipe
February 9th, 2006, 18:35
The Roadjet previews the platform that underpins three models:

1. B8 A4 Saloon
2. A5 Coupe/ Convertible
3. Q5 SUV

What the Roadjet also seems to test is whether this is likely demand for a sort of A5/A5 MPV model.

Furthermore, the new PL47 archtiecture will also be used as the basis for the next A6. Audi's engineering solution mirrors that of Toyota in producing the LExus GS and IS models which also share the same platform.

As far as I know, EOS does not share its underpinnings with any Audi model, although I may be mistaken.

Benman
February 9th, 2006, 18:49
The Roadjet previews the platform that underpins three models:

1. B8 A4 Saloon
2. A5 Coupe/ Convertible
3. Q5 SUV

I thought people were saying the Roadjet previewed the new TT?

tailpipe
February 9th, 2006, 19:04
Originally posted by Benman

Absolutely not. The new TT is based on the Golf V platform, but with quite a few aluminium components added to it, including quite a few panels, if i am correct.

While Golf chassis is far removed from the dynamic purity of the future B8 platform for the A4/ A5, everything I've heard about the new TT says that it will be a much better driver's car than its predecessor.

Let's hope it looks as good as it goes...

roadrunner
February 10th, 2006, 10:37

Ben, what you probably mean is the Shooting Brake concept from Tokyo 2005. :D

Benman
February 10th, 2006, 15:57
Originally posted by roadrunner
Ben, what you probably mean is the Shooting Brake concept from Tokyo 2005. :D
Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.:doh:

eazy
February 10th, 2006, 16:04
I thought the Roadjet is something like a A4 Shooting Brake placed between A4 and A6. :confused:

eazy
February 10th, 2006, 20:34
Some news about the R8:

The R8 only got the green light for production a few months ago - as we reported in issue 885. A true supercar, Audi's mid-engined marvel has a futuristic shape. Underneath lies an aluminium chassis derived from the Lamborghini Gallardo, as well as the same mid-mounted 5.0-litre V10 powerplant, four-wheel-drive system and six-speed manual gearbox.

With at least 450bhp, the R8 will offer performance to rival the Gallardo's, sprinting from 0-60mph in four seconds with a top speed of 200mph.

Although the R8 shares much with the Lambo, it will also feature many Audi-specific parts. These are likely to include the option of a specially developed seven-speed DSG sequential manual transmission and the firm's new Magnetic Ride adaptive damping system - which was first seen on the A4 Roadjet concept at January's Detroit Motor Show.

These electronically controlled dampers are filled with a magnetic fluid that changes thickness when a current is applied, allowing the suspension to be constantly adjusted, optimising response and comfort. However, the driver won't be left out of the equation - as the R8 will also feature several manually controlled suspension settings. The car is also set to be equipped with a full range of hi-tech stability and traction control systems. And with the four-wheel drive likely to be biased in favour of the rear wheels, the R8 is expected to corner with supreme agility.

Inside, the two-seater will have an interior heavily influenced by the TT Shooting Brake concept - including blue-ringed dials, a centre console trimmed in aluminium with circular air vents and a competition-style steering wheel. Set to go up against rivals such as BMW's M6, the Porsche 911 and Aston Martin's V8 Vantage, the R8 - which is named after Audi's all-conquering enduro race car - is likely to command a price tag upwards of £70,000. After the official unveiling at the Paris Motor Show in September, UK sales will kick off in early 2007.

Source: Auto Express about fourtitude.com

greetings

eazy

Mjolnir
February 14th, 2006, 16:35
Hello all :) ,

Newbie here. I've been lurking for awhile, but now that
I have a new job that allows some time to relax, I can
actually post something.

Everyone's input on this board is very positive and
productive compared to most others. You guys are great.

Now to the (late?) info...

I couldn't help but notice on the last paragraph of the "Technology Transfer" section on www.audi.com>motorsport>R10>Technology Transfer":

***"The start has already been made: The V12 TDI for Le Mans is the first Audi diesel
engine with an aluminium cylinder block – technology which could also be interesting for production."***

Link here: http://tinyurl.com/c5r29

Has anyone noticed this?

Cheers,

M :D

Benman
February 14th, 2006, 16:52
Originally posted by Mjolnir
Hello all :) ,

Newbie here.

technology which could also be interesting for production."***

Has anyone noticed this?

Cheers,

M :D
First,

Welcome to the forum.:cheers: Took me a long time before I made my first post here as well. As you mentioned, the friendly atmosphere has kept me coming back.

Didn't notice that on the website. Hmmm... not impossible, but I wouldn't think the R8 would have any engine that will upstage it's stablemate. My thinking is that if the R8 gets a V10 500+hp motor, the gallardo will need a 510+hp motor, etc... V12 seems Murcielago territory.

Mjolnir
February 14th, 2006, 17:35
First,

Hmmm... not impossible, but I wouldn't think the R8 would have any engine that will upstage it's stablemate. My thinking is that if the R8 gets a V10 500+hp motor, the gallardo will need a 510+hp motor, etc... V12 seems Murcielago territory.

Thanks for the welcome.

Oh, I agree. I don't think Audi will shove a V12 TD in the upcoming R8.
The technology is still in development.
Maybe Audi is hinting at future V8 TD, V10 TD, and V12 TD .:bigeyes:

M

Benman
February 14th, 2006, 21:08

M
Future V12 TDI...:bow:

tailpipe
February 14th, 2006, 22:02
Mjolnir,

Welcome to one of the greatest Audi fan sites!

:0: :0: :0: :0:

RS6 is full of great people, like Iceman, Benman, Easy, Erik, RXBG, and rheudabaga, to name but a few of my favourite post-men. There's also Nordschliefe who has been mysteriously absent for a while, but who always adds a healthy dose of factual common sense to some of the more outrageous posts you'll see here. Anyway, welcome. We're a friendly bunch: Audifans sans frontieres!

:cheers:

Now to the serious business of your thread.

My own secret desire is that Audi will offer a variant of the RS6 that comes with a V-12 TDI. You can best they are already testing a road-going versions of it. While it may appear in an Audi, it will almost certainly appear in a Bentley.

You may also remember that VW already makes a V-10 diesel for the Touareg. I don't know what has happened to this, but i think it is too heavy, and too dirty to merit further development. i could be wrong.

Whatever, do expect to see more high power diesels from the four rings. The latest 4.2 V-8 TDi is a peach.

Mjolnir
February 15th, 2006, 16:31
Mjolnir,

Whatever, do expect to see more high power diesels from the four rings. The latest 4.2 V-8 TDi is a peach.

Thanks for the Welcome :D

Have you read the latest interview with AoA's Product Planning Manager Filip Brabec? He's seems to love the 4.2 TDI as well (as it applies to the U.S. Market):

"We’re looking at it car line by car line and trying to determine where it makes sense. If I had it my way and if project money was no object, I would bring the 4.2 TDI in the A8, because I think it is the best car in the world. I firmly believe that."

Whole interview: http://tinyurl.com/bfv6g

He also goes into the reasoning behind certain decisions made that changes the content from continent to continent.

I personally feel that we have done everything we could to get what we wanted (for North America), including getting this to the attention of the top management at Audi. The issue is, and I have to agree in some cases, that you have to look at the hard numbers and say at some point, you just cannot drive into a wall.

...We have different mirrors… different seats. Talking about seats, airbags are all different. They all have to be uniquely certified. We crash test it extensively. We performance test it completely. When you combine all of that with the fact that there are less profits because pricing is so competitive, this makes it sometimes a very hard place to do business. This is why we occasionally make the hardline decisions of… say… giving up the steering wheel, but not giving up the car. That, for me, is the most important thing.

A very interesting read.

tailpipe
February 15th, 2006, 16:49
Yes. I saw this. And he's right, the US is a very difficult market to do business in for many non-US companies. Uniquely different legislative requirements. Uniquely different customer needs. Intense price competition. produce the right product and profits will flow. Get it wrong and you die.

I believe it is only a matter of time before we see a road-going version of the V-12 TDI used in the R10.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it was offered as an engine alternative in the RS6. Imagine choosing between a twin turbo V10 or turbodiesel V-12.

gnomik007
February 15th, 2006, 17:06
Imagine choosing between a twin turbo V10 or turbodiesel V-12.

Hard choice :vhmmm:

Benman
February 15th, 2006, 19:39
Thanks for the Welcome :D

Have you read the latest interview with AoA's Product Planning Manager Filip Brabec? He's seems to love the 4.2 TDI as well (as it applies to the U.S. Market):

A very interesting read.
A great read.

Oh and BTW, great user name.:thumb:

Mjolnir
February 15th, 2006, 20:02
Oh and BTW, great user name.:thumb:

After all these years of using that name, you are
the first to mention familiarity.

M :)

Benman
February 15th, 2006, 21:46
After all these years of using that name, you are
the first to mention familiarity.

M :)
Really?!? How can people not know the Mighty hammer of the Asgardian Thor?:vhmmm: :D

5000S old skool
March 7th, 2006, 03:28
Thanks for the welcome.

Oh, I agree. I don't think Audi will shove a V12 TD in the upcoming R8.
The technology is still in development.

M

Welcome to the board :bye:

Your S4 must be a monster.. got any pics to post up in the S4/RS4 forum??