PDA

View Full Version : RS4 depreciation?

firewired
February 1st, 2006, 13:20
I keep hearing conflicting things about my hoped for purchase of a RS4. Every car takes a big hit, I know that, particularly a big chunk the first year. I have been told that the RS4's depreciation may not be as steep as some other models since it is more limited production, other's I have spoken with have tried to steer me away suggesting I wait for the M3 because of it's more historically excellent resale.

My question is, how closely do you think that the RS4's resale value will mirror the RS6's? I just checked on KBB and a RS6 with an initial MSRP of $82,700 with 36K miles has a trade in of $56,850 per KBB. If I am figuring it correct that would give a three year trade in value of 68% which I thought was pretty decent. What have you seen RS6 actually going for?

How closely do you think the RS4's residual value will mirror the RS6's?

clam
February 1st, 2006, 14:21
I don't know about the US, but ///Ms around here drop in value fairly quick. Once they look old, the rich folk don't want them anymore. So they have to price them low enough to attract a new kind of customer.

The Audi RS4 seems to hold its value a little better, but just a little. I've seen 2000 models for +€40k, but I've also seen 2002 models in the low €30k-ies.

The new M3 will have the advantage though, b/c it's based on a new model so it'll stay fresh for a long time. While the Audi is just 2 (?) years away from being replaced.

but you see ... a car like this is like a pretty women ...
It's never a good investment. So once you've decided you want a pretty girl, instead of a "girl with great personality", you might as well get the one you really want. It's always gonna cost, but you'll enjoy it more if it's the one you really feel for. And that's the whole point, right?

If you want a car that will never lose its value you need get a Porsche 993, e30 M3, or import an RS2.

nene
February 1st, 2006, 14:22
Resale value is also market dependent, where the desirebility of the car plays a big part. If you are that concerned, I suggest you lease if are worried about resale value of the car. Or better yet, get a Honda Accord, and cut your losses.

jasaretta
February 1st, 2006, 21:18
I am hoping that the drop in market value will be manageable downunder as there are only 40 RS4's coming into the country.

j