PDA

View Full Version : Keep RS6 or new RS4?

jimrd
January 29th, 2006, 03:33
I love my RS6 - probably the finest daily driveable car I have ever owned. I am also #3 on my dealers list for an RS4. He will be calling soon to see if I want the car or not for May or June delivery. When I first got the RS6, I thought I would pass on the RS4 and just wait for the next RS6 (? 2008). Now that the time is drawing near to either pass or commit, I'm starting to like the RS4 more and more. I know I would miss the torque of the RS6, but the RS4 would be brand new and have upgraded technology. Anyone else going through this agonizing exercise? Any thoughts or opinions on what I should do?

nene
January 29th, 2006, 05:00
There is always something else that is going to be new. If the RS6 fits the bill right now, stick with it. Keep in mind the RS4 is a bit smaller. Unsure if you are getting full use of the "back seat"!!!

I'd wait on the RS4. Let them work out the gremlins out of the first production series. Revisit the decision in 8-9 months.

I can't imagine my life without the RS6 anymore. It is such an incredible machine. If only there weren't so many retards with drivers licenses running amok out there.
I'm looking into getting a high end sports coupe to compliment the beast. As for sedans, the RS6 is perfect size.

LIRS6
January 29th, 2006, 20:53
Echoing the above, size would be a factor for me. I love the size of the "C" body, whereas the "B" I felt was too tight for everyday needs. As to newer technology, that can be both a good and a bad thing - I still own a '79 Porsche 911, and it is a lot of fun to drive, even though it doesn't even have power windows! Personally I wouldn't give up comfortable seating for 5 in a worldclass 450 hp sedan for a smaller, less powerful, slower, more expensive vehicle.

SoCal
January 30th, 2006, 10:22
I agree with the two prior posts. Given how much you love your RS6, why switch? Other than the plus of getting a manual transmission in the new RS4, I'm not sure I see the value of giving up the fine machine you've got.

If it were me, I'd keep your current sedan and see what else is new in a couple more years, RS6 or whatever. You can always get an RS4 then, if you still want one, either used or later in the production run without the first-off-the-line mechanical issues or premium price. Or a smaller, lighter two-seater as an extra sports car.

Nice quandry, but don't agonize too much. There will always be something new coming out.

jimrd
January 30th, 2006, 15:32
Thanks for the advice. I guess the "newness" of the RS4 is somehow appealing to me. I have a history of "the grass is always greener" type of behavior! Several times in the past I have traded or sold a car I loved only to be disappointed in its replacement.

Benman
January 30th, 2006, 16:23
Originally posted by nene

I can't imagine my life without the RS6 anymore. It is such an incredible machine. If only there weren't so many retards with drivers licenses running amok out there.
I'm looking into getting a high end sports coupe to compliment the beast. As for sedans, the RS6 is perfect size.
Exactly!:cheers:

Jim,

If you have (and love) the RS 6, I'd stick with it. I'm not sure how much you need the rear space of the A6 body, if not, the A4 body ain't too bad. Also, a stick is great fun, but not the greatest family mobile tranny (call me lazy).

Also like nene stated, a sportscar would compliment the Beast nicely if that route is possible.

Ben:addict: (Keeping mine for a long, long time:heart: ).

jimrd
January 30th, 2006, 16:56
Ben - I've got some other cars in the stable that fill that "sports car" niche. Size is not all that important for me, as my family is rarely in the Audi.

Benman
January 30th, 2006, 17:37
Originally posted by jimrd
Ben - I've got some other cars in the stable that fill that "sports car" niche. Size is not all that important for me, as my family is rarely in the Audi.
:doh: Didn't even check sig!:blush:

Then I even more agree with nene. I'd suggest, stay with the RS 6. Now if you didn't already have the RS 6, then I'd say get the RS 4 for sure!

Ben:addict:

nene
January 30th, 2006, 18:19
Jim,
Why did you sell your "2004 S4 Avant - sold, 2002 S4 - sold"? That may help you in your decision.

If size is not the matter, and you enjoy always having the latest, you may wish to simply go for a lease on the RS4 for example. If you decide to keep it, buy it at lease's end. That is what I do with the Jag (convertible). Not keen enough on keeping them, however they are extremely cool to be seen in (to some folks).

The RS6 is a keeper for me, simply because deep down I know that if I traded it in for something else, I'd miss it very much. Not many of the other cars I can say the same for. If she was willing to get rid of the 540i for the RS4, I'd be thumbs up all over it.

She's on a Porsche kick lately, so that is where we are leaning towards.

Good luck. Yours is a good problem to have.

jimrd
January 30th, 2006, 19:08
nene - well it went something like this.......
2002 S4 was sold for the B6 S4. B6 S4 was a concilation prize for not taking the RS6 I had been waiting for and would have gotten in 2003. I passed on the RS6 because I had just purchased the 996tt and desired to stay married. I traded the B6 S4 for the current RS6 - enough time had passed to make that low risk from a matrimonial standpoint! I had always regretted not taking the RS6 new, and when one was available I traded the S4 for it. I have been on the list for the RS4 for a long time and had originally planned to trade the S4 for it.........then the opportunity to get the RS6 came up and I was constitutionally incapable of saying no. I am also 2nd on the list for the next RS6. If I were to get the RS4, I would trade it for the new RS6 when it comes out.
I am a weak, sick man. I am doing my part to support Audi. I need help.........I have a problem..........

Benman
January 30th, 2006, 19:51
Originally posted by jimrd
I am also 2nd on the list for the next RS6. If I were to get the RS4, I would trade it for the new RS6 when it comes out.
I am a weak, sick man. I am doing my part to support Audi. I need help.........I have a problem..........
Well that changes everything.:D

In that case, maybe you should get the RS 4, seeing as how you'll be getting the new RS 6 anyway. Wow, you sure like to spend $$$ on cars!:thumb:

TaTaPiRaTa
February 4th, 2006, 12:11
Size matters!

New RS4 seats will not be confortable for a big guy. They are too small to fit in big person so you have to check it before you make decision.

Bauer
February 6th, 2006, 02:24
If you plan on going through Audis that quickly then why not. It would only be about a year in the RS4.

I do believe that there will be things you miss about the RS6 and like about the RS4. I personally am not very impressed with the power plant in the RS4... the torque is not that impressive. I love the look, interior, power distribution and chassis dynamics, just wish they stuck with the V8tt. That would have been a monster and a very easy decission.

jimrd
February 6th, 2006, 15:30
Bauer - I agree. I find the trend towards normal aspiration less appealing. Aside from "tune-ability", turbo cars are fun for me becasue of all that torque. If the RS4 had the V8tt, I would not have started this thread!

Dark Knight
February 12th, 2006, 20:08
jimrd

yep, tough choice. I "have" to get rid of my Beast before summer, I'm coming up on 50,000 miles so no more free service. And for those that have passed the 35k service and/or driven their RS6 hard you know how many rotors/pads this thing is going to need and I'm going to have to pay for!

So, I ordered an RS4. I know the torque -- on paper -- is very low, however, if one reads many of the road tests it apparently delivers superb driveability; no need to be 'rowing' those gears as the spec numbers might imply.

Also, I want more of a driver's car this time around. The RS6 does a fine job at everything but get it on anything looking like an English B road and it more than shows its 2 tons. Still, can't complain, it's not built for that. I'm looking forward to something more agile, more flickable. Yes, the RS4 is smaller, much smaller. One needs to really take that into consideration especially if 3 passengers is a regular occurrence.

Someone on this thread went down the list of points where the RS4 is a lesser vehicle e.g., size, torque. However, the person said it's slower. I'm not off researching the numbers again today, but I believe it's the same to 60 and 62, and slightly faster to 100 and 120. Not sure from there on, I would imagine the RS6 would begin to gap it if both weren't governed (mine is chipped and derestricted, we got it to an indicated 191mph before the driveshaft sheered in two!!!!).

Anyway, I wouldn't compare the two cars. Put each one against your overall, daily needs and I'm sure one of them is going to come out slightly ahead! I still don't envy your job of going through all the mental rollercoastering, however!!!! Maybe flip a coin . . .

Good luck! Can't go wrong either way :looking:

Erik
February 13th, 2006, 08:16
Originally posted by Dark Knight
Anyway, I wouldn't compare the two cars. Put each one against your overall, daily needs and I'm sure one of them is going to come out slightly ahead! I still don't envy your job of going through all the mental rollercoastering, however!!!! Maybe flip a coin . . .

I was just about to write I'm happy to see a lot of RS6 owners go for the RS4, but I think (and this goes for US-owners especially) a lot of new owners will find the RS4 is not a new RS6.
First it's much smaller, which will have a big effect if you have your family in it. If not this might not be such a big deal. Next it's a manual - just not sure
But the engine is a peach. It took me a while to figure I didn't have to shift a 7k, but could go at least another 1krpm. :revs: :hahahehe: And the gearbox is very nice - kind of short-shifted. However if you're not used to a manual and don't like manuals, I think you might have a hard time with the car.

Here's my video and some pics:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8082

Who's getting the speed blue? :eek:

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/GRING-2005-6.JPG

:rs4addict

Benman
February 13th, 2006, 16:03
Originally posted by Dark Knight
jimrd

yep, tough choice.

I ordered an RS4.

Also, I want more of a driver's car this time around. The RS6 does a fine job at everything but get it on anything looking like an English B road and it more than shows its 2 tons. Still, can't complain, it's not built for that. I'm looking forward to something more agile, more flickable. Yes, the RS4 is smaller, much smaller. One needs to really take that into consideration especially if 3 passengers is a regular occurrence.

Someone on this thread went down the list of points where the RS4 is a lesser vehicle e.g., size, torque. However, the person said it's slower. I'm not off researching the numbers again today, but I believe it's the same to 60 and 62, and slightly faster to 100 and 120. Not sure from there on, I would imagine the RS6 would begin to gap it if both weren't governed...

Good luck! Can't go wrong either way :looking:
Dark Knight,

I agree with you on all those points. The RS 4 will be a better drivers car (and not just because of the manual). More flickable, agile, etc...

Straight line speed, guys at quattro GmbH said it will track a RS 6 straight and true till you get to big speeds (200kph+) then the RS 6 will slowly walk away.

QuattroFun
February 13th, 2006, 18:48
By the numbers, the RS4 should be marginally quicker up to 200 km/h...but if you are not prepared to work the box and whip the engine in RS4 to the max then kickdown on torquey RS6 will probably eat it on the roll

jimrd
February 13th, 2006, 22:21
Thank all of you gentlemen for the thoughts and opinions. I still don't know what I'm going to do. The RS6 has 30k miles on it, so I'm not sure I'll keep it until the next RS6 comes out. I use it every day and in all weather conditions. It has never given me any problems. I tend to switch daily drivers every couple of years at least before I start having maintenance issues. My RS6 has developed a few rattles and stuff - nothing major, but makes me think it may be time to consider trying the RS4. I'll let you you when I decide. Thanks again.

Erik
February 13th, 2006, 22:39
Mugello RS6, Sportec chip & wheels. Milltek exhaust
2004 Viper SRT-10 522ci stroker twin turbo
2004 S4 Avant - sold, 2002 S4 - sold
2001 Ruf R turbo 550
1991 Porsche turbo - sold

Considering the cars you own/owned.
If you liked the S4s and they were manuals I am sure you will love the RS4.