PDA

View Full Version : Alternative shock absorbers

buzz
January 22nd, 2006, 19:10
Hi All,

Any one knows if we can fit alternative shock absorbers for RS6?

Thanks

Buzz

gregoryindiana
January 22nd, 2006, 20:56
Couldn't say anything else about it. Just saw it after your question.

http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_150_337/products_id/103

buzz
January 22nd, 2006, 21:47
Hi Greg,

Thanks a lot, does MTM or ABT or any of these car tunning companies have other alternatives. I am looking for something less complicated. The Current setup (DRC) is complicated enough and my dealer cannot adjust the proper pressure and the car wobbles and bounces!! I had seen the previous threads and the problems some owners have, so there must be a solution. Probably more qualified dealers.:mech:

Buzz

Aronis
January 23rd, 2006, 01:01
Good and Bad to hear of a similar problem.

I'm heading in for a service check tomorrow (4 hours each way) to begin the diagnosis process for my DRC which has completely failed. The car bounces like a 1979 Ford pickup.

I found several suppliers selling Bilstein shocks supposedly fit to the RS6, but on Bilsteins own website the RS6 is not specifically mentioned on the fit list for that product.
quote from their site.
PSS 9 System
The Bilstein PSS 9 Suspension provides the ultimate in performance tuning. The fully-adjustable monotube gas shock absorbers offer a selection of nine precise compression and rebound settings, from comfort to competition. The front and rear progressive rate springs allow accurate adjustment of the vehicle ride height and center of gravity for the level of performance you seek.

Now you can enjoy the kind of precise suspension tuning formerly available only on race cars. The PSS 9 system puts you in complete control. Whether it's a weekend of competition or the daily commute, absolute handling and control are just a few twists away.

I have found this priced at about $1700 to $1900 for kit with shocks and coils.

The parts for the DRC system are about $300 per shock and $1200 per control valve (system uses two). So the major parts are about $3600 plus the minor things seals etc.

The dealer must have the special tools to fill the system and know how to do it. I don't like the idea of being the first, although the dealer I am going to has done a 'lowering job' for a customer who also had them 'put it back to stock.' So I assume they have at some point had to refill and properly balance the DRC system. We shall see.

As far as swapping to some other product, I'd really prefer someone who has done more than one!!!!!

Mike

Aronis
January 23rd, 2006, 01:33
This is where the DRC system comes from..just found their site.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/audi/audi_rs6_quattro_29_10_04.asp?switched=on&echo=988107278

Kayaba’s innovative DRC suspension system has been selected for Audi’s new RS6 Quattro bringing even more agility and improved handling to this exciting sports estate. The DRC system had previously been used in the Audi RS6 saloon and the RS6 Quattro - launched in 2002.

The DRC system (known as Dynamic Ride Control - DRC - by Audi) is a pure mechanical damping system which monitors road conditions and cornering forces, and adjusts the suspension accordingly. This advanced damping system counteracts movements of the vehicle along its longitudinal axis and transverse axis. Both shock absorbers on the same side of the vehicle are connected with the diagonally opposed dampers on the other side, each by means of one central valve.

By connecting diagonally opposed shock absorbers, vehicle pitching and diagonal chassis movements are minimised. The result is that the car is more stable at high speeds, as well as offering greater ride comfort at any speed.

When a corner is taken, a flow of oil, and thus a supplementary damping force, is generated via the central valve between the diagonally opposed shock absorbers. When the suspension is compressed on one side, the damper characteristic is modified in such a way that rolling or pitching movements are almost entirely eliminated. As a result, this mechanically active damping system ensures that the RS6 Quattro maintains extremely good tracking stability when cornering and responds precisely to adjustments of the steering wheel.
Other advantages include:

* Improved handling (yes)
* Less tyre wear (you gotta be kidding me, I'd hate to see the wear without DRC:dance: )
* Lower maintenance costs (WE SHALL SEE)
* Preventing any tendancy for over-steer (Cool)
* Improved cornering ability (yes)

Bauer
January 23rd, 2006, 07:40
The PSS9's are a nice damper.... but if you want the best

http://www.stasisengineering.com/audi_rs6_c5_suspension.html

I have them on my 2001 S4

850 lbs front spring rate
1200 lbs rear spring rate
(this is a ridiculous amount of spring, but handles awesome)

the dampers are so good that my wife likes the ride better then the RS6 hands down.

Give Jason a call and he can anwser all your questions. (707) 935 9700 x119

If I were going to keep my RS6 after the lease I would put them on and these.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/audi_rs6_c5_brakes.html

Their stuff is top rate, hands down.... and the lifetime guarantee on the dampers would solve the problem:D

5000S old skool
January 23rd, 2006, 14:58
coilovers.... :0:

buzz
January 23rd, 2006, 18:34
Hey Guys,

I have contacted a Member at the forum through PM and he sent the full Manual for both fixing and diagnosing the system. I cannot thank him enough. Tomorow I will be heading to the dealer to rectify the problem.

Buzz

trex
January 23rd, 2006, 21:13
OMG!! <b>buzz</b> i thought you where all done with all the repairs by now :confused:
wish you the best ...

buzz
January 23rd, 2006, 22:33
Hey Trex,

All is well, I had my car back and in excellent condition vis a vis bodywork and engine. The power loss is gone, and the reason for the delay was the special tool to fine tune the DRC had to be imported from Germany. So far the car is drivable but I feel that the rear end is a bit light when hitting a bump. It was really bouncing when I first took delivery after the accident. It is better now but still need some adjustments. Bare with me guys I will get to the bottom of this soon.

I am now in love with the car especially that the power is back, it is tremendous, and for the first time I can now hear the turbos spool up when accelerating. :rs6kiss:

I am attaching a photo I took yesterday.

I will keep you all posted.

Buzz

trex
January 24th, 2006, 03:00
ooh in this kind of weather i really am falling in love with my car all over again ,you can notice the difference in the performance :rs6kiss:

Hy Octane
January 24th, 2006, 03:32
Hey Buzz. Good to hear you are back in action again.. Did you ever find out what was causing the power loss?

Theres a guy on the AW forums who posts under the name of TeamImola who removed the DRC and put on PSS9 coilovers with H-Sway bars. He says it wipes the stock suspensions butt..

buzz
January 24th, 2006, 09:27
Hey Guys,

Trex: You bet, it so much better now. I don't Know if it is the weather or something got working again after the accident. We should compare cars, yours has the upgrade by ABT. Let us meet one day at the dealer, I really want to see if the upgrade is worth it?

Hy Octane:Oh Yeah, The issue is, if the dealer cannot fix the OEM suspension, then I don't know any one who can properly install the racing one, though I am really interested. I 'm Glad you got your car sorted out. So it was the knock sensors? and have you replaced them yet.

Buzz