PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing RS6

Aronis
January 17th, 2006, 19:49
Does anyone have any experience with a bouncing RS6?

My car started noticibly bouncing on uneven roads, even after just going over a rise in the road, much like a truck would do!!!!

I have not hit anything or any pot holes and not other trauma to the car!

I read something online about this happening.

I have never tracked the car, and there have been no modifications.

I had new brake pads installed a month ago!

Mike

Rupert
January 17th, 2006, 21:37
Hello Mike,

If you mean the back of the car is bouncing, then yes, I have experienced it.
The back of my car would bounce when braking heavily, or more worryingly, when going over a ridge on the road on a corner - in that case the car felt like it was stepping sideways.

The fault was a leaking cylinder on the DRC (I believe they are diagonally linked). It was noticibly bouncy at the rear even when pushing it down by hand (more on one side than the other). Once the pressure is lost they can't be repressurised, they must be replaced.

Rupert
January 17th, 2006, 21:51
http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=49877

phatfocus
January 18th, 2006, 17:05
My dad had something similar to this recently. The car was swaying from the front pasenger side to the rear drivers side. As we thought, it turned out to be the shock absorbers/dampers had gone. It was very skittish and unstable, getting progressively worse.

So it's now had two new shocks and a pump for the drc system, all on warranty thanfully.

Benman
January 18th, 2006, 17:25
Well, this is unsettling (no pun intended)!:bigeyes: I'll be keeping an eye out for this and make sure the system has an overhaul before the warranty expires!

Ben:addict:

Aronis
January 18th, 2006, 17:31
After I phoned Audi and drove it again it had become MUCH WORSE.

I can push down on the trunk and make the car bounce! Just closing the trunk is enough to make it bounce a bit!

This is VERY DISSPOINTING for a car which is two years old with only 30,000 miles on it.

Moreover it was in for service a month ago! No apparent leaks seen then!

The strange thing is that both sides are affected so all force shocks are gone????

I am trying to access my Bentley Manual, but after a computer brake down, and reinstall, I am going through software weened HELL to get those MF in Cambridge Mass to give me a new install code.

I wish I had the manual on PAPER. That would be a novel concept!

Anyway the car is not fun to drive, I hope none of my friends see me LOL bouncing down the road on my $85,000 pogo stick.

And.....

They have to SEE THE CAR before they will order the parts.....don't take my word for it....hell I lied about the brake pads, had to see it themselves before they would order the pads.....this is getting really old really fast.....Hello HONDA? I am coming back.....

Mike

SpinEcho
January 18th, 2006, 18:33
Mike -

Hope you get this sorted out. These cars are too complex. Not that there's any competitor with less complex cars...

I knock on wood daily.

:mech:

Aronis
January 18th, 2006, 18:39
I finally got the Bentley manual to work.

The diagnostic table points to the "center valves" and says replace and charge system. Perhaps the shocks and tubing is fine and just the valves went!

Also there are some electronic parts but the diagnostic table does not fit my car's symptoms.

Hell if it were an electronic problem I'd expect an idiot light to be one?

Heading in on Monday for a check up....we shall see...

Mike:dance:

Rupert
January 18th, 2006, 22:04
This is what mine looked like... as you say, yours may not be leaking, maybe just a faulty valve.

http://tinypic.com/m79lsg.jpg

Aronis
January 19th, 2006, 01:16
I finally took ten minutes to check my garage floor.

After scraping up all the sand I looked and smelt it and touched it and I think it's a slurry of Sand, Water, and DRC Fluid!

yes it's leaking and BOTH sides from what I can tell.

Did you car bounce evenly or just one side????

Mike

Rupert
January 19th, 2006, 09:35
It bounced more on one side than the other, but both sides bounced when pushed down.
It felt quite dangerous to drive in this condition, especially on bumpy corners.

Klint
January 19th, 2006, 14:59
Originally posted by Aronis

Anyway the car is not fun to drive, I hope none of my friends see me LOL bouncing down the road on my $85,000 pogo stick.

Mike

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :applause:

Hy Octane
January 19th, 2006, 22:36
My SM has informed me that this is quite common.. he has fixed a few so far with the same deal..

Maybe we should demand a 5 yr 40k warranty on all replacement parts as they dont seem to be reliable enuff to make it thru the first warranty period..

Aronis
January 20th, 2006, 13:54
Thank you for the info.

Could you tell me the dealer you use and their phone number, that way I can call and get an idea of the parts needed for the repair...

Future issues can be avoided if I keep the car I can stock pile replacement parts.

ya RIGHT!

I'll look into the extended warrantee, but I will be turning this car in at the end of the lease to pick up my shiney new 2008 Honda Civic Si.

Mike

phatfocus
January 20th, 2006, 15:45
Spoke to my dad on the phone yesterday, he said the parts are on back order, so its not fixed yet. He said he asked to have a look when it was on the ramp and he saw where drc fluid had been leaking. Must have been something very similar to that picture you posted rupert.

Aronis
January 20th, 2006, 16:15
oh great, not enough parts....

So, it's time perhaps for aftermarket shocks instead????

Mike

Tom C
January 20th, 2006, 18:37
Mike:

Are you 4 hours away from any Audi dealership or 4 hours away from an Audi dealership with an RS6 technician? Perhaps if you have a non-RS6 dealership closer you can show them the problem, even have them send pictures to the RS6 dealer to help expedite the ordering process. Just a thought.

Tom

Aronis
January 20th, 2006, 19:36
Funny you should suggest that.

That is exactly what I was trying to do with my RS6 when the Brake Light came on. I figure the dealer in Burlington, VT (2 hours away) could verify the brake pad status and measure the rotor thickness for me and report to the Latham Dealer, but nooooooooooooooooooooo....

Oh, my, don't trust the customer...might have to order brake pads and maybe send them back.......nooooooooo toooo risky.

The parts I might need.

Shocks $300 each
Control Valves $1200 each
so about $4000 in parts...so if they ordered them sight unseen and had to eat the shipping costs oohhhhthat would eat too much into the profit on the $85,000 car sale, or god forbit some other RS6 needs the parts..or worse some other dealer calls looking for them and would pay the difference in like kind favor...ohhhhhhsuch a friggen complex business the car business oooooooohhhhhhhhh......

LOL

Mike

Tom C
January 20th, 2006, 19:51
Mike:

I can understand your frustration. There should be some sort of reasonable compromise. I would try to involve Audi of America to help reach a solution. I would explain my situation to them and ask how they can help resolve your concerns (an 8 hour round trip just to order the parts) and the dealer's concern with ordering parts they may not use in fixing your car's apparent problems. Maybe you should offer to pay for the shipping on those parts not used. I would give it a shot.

Tom

Benman
January 20th, 2006, 21:18
but nooooooooooooooooooooo....

Oh, my, don't trust the customer...might have to order brake pads and maybe send them back.......nooooooooo toooo risky.

so if they ordered them sight unseen and had to eat the shipping costs oohhhhthat would eat too much into the profit on the $85,000 car sale, or god forbit some other RS6 needs the parts..or worse some other dealer calls looking for them and would pay the difference in like kind favor...ohhhhhhsuch a friggen complex business the car business oooooooohhhhhhhhh......

Sorry Mate, I can totally feel for your frustration. It is completely lame sometimes the way things work at the dealers.

A little OT but similar: Mine won't even print the service cost invoice for me to talley my running costs for once the car is past warranty. They just tell me, "Audi won't let us"!!!:doh: :trash:

Sometimes the dealer is friggin stupid.:vgrumpy:

Aronis
January 21st, 2006, 02:35
Did some digging and realized to my delight that my new home will be 33 miles from a Certified RS6 dealer in Ithaca New York.

That will make the possiblity of keeping my RS6 after the lease more appealing.

I'm heading there Monday instead of to Latham which would be about 2 1/2 hours from my new home (still better than 4 1/2),but 33 miles......greeaaaaaatttt

Mike

:dance:

7:53 RS6
January 21st, 2006, 20:09
Hey guys check out my RS6 Avant when im having a drive in the contry side. Its bouncing as well, but from a other reason:revs: ;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8110046517449947473

Finnus
January 23rd, 2006, 12:42
Hey guys check out my RS6 Avant when im having a drive in the contry side. Its bouncing as well, but from a other reason

Awesome! :MTM: How fast?

Finnus
:addict:

Aronis
January 24th, 2006, 00:43
8 hours of driving in a snow storm, basically a big waste of my time.

I drove to the dealer to have the mechanic look at my car.

He and I and the service manager looked at the rear shocks and ALL came to the conclusion that most likely the rear shocks had both leaked and will both need to be replaced.

The Diagnostic Tree however said that if the car was bouncing on Vertical Actuation then they are supposed to REPLACE the Valves and refill the system. So regardless of the findings on the visual inspection they ordered from GERMANY the two valves ($1300 each) which are supposed to arrive in about 10 days. So why the tell tale signs of a leak at the bottom of both rear shocks? Is that supposed to happen if the control valves fail? I doubt it.

But even though we all agreed that regardless of weither or not the valves had also failed, the rear shocks will most likely need to be replaced. But since Audi's Diagnostic Tree said to first replace the valves, they would not even consider ordering the $300 shocks because they would not want to be stuck with them.

But they ARE willing to IGNORE their own EXPERTISE on the visual inspection and order the $2600 valves and if they are not the problem, eat that cost.

Real Smart.

What pisses me off the most is that they would not simply listen to my description and then follow the diagnostic tree and order the valves WITHOUT MAKING ME DRIVE for 8 hours in a snow storm to have them Look At It.

This is VERY poor Customer Service if you can call it that.

So IF the parts are arrive in the 10 days, they will give me a loaner and just keep the car until they get it fixed. Perhaps the Shocks which I think will be needed will arrive in a week or two weeks or more, who knows......

This is the same POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE they offered when I said the Brake Warning light was on and the brake pads needed to be replaced. Rather than believe me and order the pads (what $400 bucks worth, like they'd never use them) and let me get it fixed with one trip, they made me drive the 8 hours have them look and then go back. So all in all this has costed me an extra 800 miles of driving. Do I take that off the total miles at the end of the lease?

Even if I lived 20 minutes away, this is not acceptable to me. What ever happened to the "customer is always right?"

I am fairly confident that the mechanic will get it fixed (once he has the parts) but there is no reason to screw arround with a customer.

We shall see.

Benman
January 24th, 2006, 01:10

This is the same POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE they offered when I said the Brake Warning light was on and the brake pads needed to be replaced. Rather than believe me and order the pads (what $400 bucks worth, like they'd never use them) and let me get it fixed with one trip, they made me drive the 8 hours have them look and then go back. So all in all this has costed me an extra 800 miles of driving. Do I take that off the total miles at the end of the lease?

Even if I lived 20 minutes away, this is not acceptable to me. What ever happened to the "customer is always right?"

Bottom Line: This is just Piss Poor Service. Period. Even my dealer (not the best) ordered new pads when I told them mine were shot! For crying out loud, your's is just plain RETARDED !!!

Rupert
January 24th, 2006, 10:40
Sorry to hear about your troubles Mike.

Unfortunately the dealer didn't manage to fix mine in one day like they promised - there was a problem when they tried to pressurise the system it wouldn't hold the pressure and there was nothing they could do without ordering more parts. I'm not sure if they were additional parts or if the first parts were faulty but thankfully the parts arrived the following day. I certainly woudn't be happy with the situation you're in. :argue:

Aronis
January 24th, 2006, 20:14
Hi Rupert,

What did they end up replacing? Just shocks or the VALVES also?

If the valves how long did it take to get the parts?

The mechanic is pretty sure the two rear shocks leaked from the look of the bottom part, but the COMPUTER says replace the Valves FIRST. I don't think the computer looks at the car.

Oh, well.....I am ordering replacement shocks in the meanwhile so I can actually use the car. The bilsteins will be fine and I'll do it myself. I have some time this month.

Mike

Originally posted by Rupert
Sorry to hear about your troubles Mike.

Unfortunately the dealer didn't manage to fix mine in one day like they promised - there was a problem when they tried to pressurise the system it wouldn't hold the pressure and there was nothing they could do without ordering more parts. I'm not sure if they were additional parts or if the first parts were faulty but thankfully the parts arrived the following day. I certainly woudn't be happy with the situation you're in. :argue:

Rupert
January 24th, 2006, 22:56
I have no idea what they replaced, it was all a surprise as I had noticed the leak before I bought the car and was told it was fixed before I drove it home. A week later a lady from the service department called to say "Your suspension parts have arrived". I thought she had the wrong person but she was adamant they were for my car, to fix my suspension problem. I wasn't happy at having to make two round trips to the dealer to get it repaired (a total of only 4 hours).

Benman
January 25th, 2006, 00:37
Originally posted by 8:05 RS6
Hey guys check out my RS6 Avant...
:applause:

So I'm guessing the bridge was just a slight surprise!:D

Rupert
January 25th, 2006, 15:23
Maybe this might help others to understand the system, see the pages numbered 42-46.

http://academy.accessaudi.com/files/SSPs/991303_RS6.pdf

Link first posted by koolaid on AW forums on 2006-01-22.

January 25th, 2006, 17:22
Originally posted by Benman
:applause:

So I'm guessing the bridge was just a slight surprise!:D

Spot on Ben, we was just minding ouer own things chating in the car, then from no where it took air. The loud bang that followed when the car compresd down again, i have never heard it before or after, it was truley loud live. In vid it dosent sound like it did live.
Just 4 month left before we go the the ring, to bad you cant meet up for a :cheers: like last time.

Aronis
January 25th, 2006, 17:26
Thank you 1,000,000 times.

That was very helpful.

Just sent a fax to the operations manager to get him to order all the parts.....instead of just the central valves...save a lot of time waiting for parts.

Mike

Originally posted by Rupert
Maybe this might help others to understand the system, see the pages numbered 42-46.

http://academy.accessaudi.com/files/SSPs/991303_RS6.pdf

Link first posted by koolaid on AW forums on 2006-01-22.

January 25th, 2006, 17:37
Originally posted by Finnus
Awesome! :MTM: How fast?

Finnus
:addict:

I cant relly say, but we was going pretty fast as i recall.

Benman
January 25th, 2006, 18:35
Originally posted by 8:05 RS6
Spot on Ben, we were just minding our own...

Just 4 month left before we go the the ring, to bad you cant meet up for a :cheers: like last time.
At the speeds you were traveling in the vid, I'd hardly say you were "just" cruising along, minding your own business!:hihi:

Yeah, you don't know how much I'd like to meet up at The Ring again for :incar: and of course:cheers: Next year for sure!

Aronis,

Glad to hear things are working out as far as your car's "issue", or more correctly, your dealers issue!