PDA

View Full Version : RS4 delivery in Europe

tailpipe
January 17th, 2006, 18:36
I just wanted to ask when those of you who have existing confirmed orders RS4s have been told to expect delivery. The latest I've heard is the first week of February for the Saloon/ Sedan. There has been no confirmation of RS4 Avant deliveries at this time, unless anyone has heard something.

Thanks in anticipation...

tailpipe
January 18th, 2006, 19:47
The noticeable lack of response to this post tells me everything i need to know about the RS4.

I think very few people are actually going to buy this car. It's a beast by any objective measure, but it's too late, it's too out of date and there are better alternatives both from Audi and its competitors already or almost available. Think S6.

I really think Audi has mis-managed this project. It's almost a year later than they said it would be and two laters than it ought to have been. Fed-up with a lack of information about firm release dates, I have cancelled my RS4 Avant order.

India Whiskey Charlie
January 18th, 2006, 19:57
Originally posted by tailpipe
I think very few people are actually going to buy this car. It's a beast by any objective measure, but it's too late, it's too out of date and there are better alternatives both from Audi and its competitors already or almost available. Think S6.
Why do you think the S6 is a better alternative and what other cars did you have in mind?

rheudabaga
January 18th, 2006, 23:34
Well, if we were getting the Avant here, I would be firmly on board.

As it is, I'm still holding out hope, but I'm starting to lose the love a bit. In the end it's all going to come down to the price. If it's too much of a premium, I know I'll survive perfectly contented in an S4 Avant--and I'll have a decent place to attach my bikes!

Heck, at this point I'm even considering the A3 3.2 DSG. It has FSI, the cool tranny and it would save me a bundle and then I think I could hoodwink my wife into the Q7.

Like I said though, if the price is right, I'll still swing for the RS4.

The S6, on the other hand, doesn't quite capture my imagination...at least not in the sedan form. (Yep, they say we won't get the S6 Avant either.)

AndyBG
January 19th, 2006, 01:34
Why AUDI now makes so big gaps between first presentation and first deliverys to the custumer, month-two, OK, but RS4 become "boring" to me before even i so it in person.
Performance data, mesures, pictures, everything was there exept the car itself???
Now similar thing with S8, S6...
I remeber days wehn all that was litle simplier, they show car on some big "AUTO EXPO" and in one month if you have money and will, you'l get yourself a car.

Any opinion on that?

ANDY

tailpipe
January 19th, 2006, 10:08
Originally posted by Viken B.
Why do you think the S6 is a better alternative and what other cars did you have in mind?

The fuel economy on the RS4 is shockingly bad. Add the small fuel tank and you have a car with a pretty limited touring range, which makes it less than ideal for long distance, high speed trips. (Not quite as bad as the Bugatti Veyron which will empty its fuel tank in 12 minutes when driven all out.)

The S6 will be here in Avant form in April and it will be available as an automatic. It looks like it'll be the same price in the UK. It has more space, an improved cockpit and driving position, it is quieter, has better economy (believe it or not), a longer touring range and I prefer the styling.

I think the BMW 535i Touring is also a nice car, although I hate BMWs. It goes well and has great economy.

I quite like the new Mercedes-Benz M-Class and the LExus RX400h. Obviously they are quite different machines but combine load carrying ability with a fair bit of urge and deliver reasonable economy.

I don't know about you, but i've suddenly realised that fuel prices aren't going to go south anytime soon in Europe and spending £100 ($150) to fill up twice a week is a little off-putting. This is making me wonder whether i should be getting an S/ RS Audi at all. Heart says yes. Head says don't be a fool.

For all these reasons, i'd love to see a pumped-up version of the V8 4.2 TDI diesel in an RS6!!!!!

Andy, you are right about hype verus delivery.

AndyBG
January 19th, 2006, 14:06
Alltough i reely dont like BMW, i have to admit that 535 d is curently one of the "BESTBUYS" on the market and it seems to me that i am not lonely in that constation.
Just look any magazin, TV show, web portal...
everybody loves it.
Biggest reason of course is fuel economy, but with nowdays prices and with those that are "smiling" at as, fuel economy is thing to watch.

What are really chances that new RS6 could be DIESEL powered?

tailpipe
January 19th, 2006, 16:33
...Well, much to everyone's surprise, Audi's new Le Mans challenger, the R10 has a V-12 diesel. Fuel effcieint, clean thanks to particle filters, and enough power to blow away the competition.

...Racing technology often finds its way to Audi road cars, so we can but hope. If Audi does produce a diesel RS6, I'll be the first to get one. Actually, all they really need to do is to recognise that people want economy as well as performance and I'll be happy. But 11.9 mpg from an RS4 just isn't acceptable...

nene
January 19th, 2006, 22:14
I'm also in the market for a car, albeit it is not going to replace anything in my stable. The RS4 does not make the list, as I'm already up to my ears on sedans. An Avant however, that can persuade me in a different direction. My list is:

1. Cayman S (however I'm a bit hesitant on getting it first year)
2. Carrera S
3. Z4 M Roadster (http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2006-BMW-Z4-M-Roadster.htm) (they shoe-horned an M3 engine into the Z4...)

I do need to move away from getting German cars, yet I can't seem to do it.

Wish the RS4 wait was over already, even thought I have no plans to get one.

AndyBG
January 20th, 2006, 00:13
Nene,

No. 1. - 911 Carrera S

No. 2. - Cayman S

No. 3. - Oh, no number 3, choice of those two is just enough!

Enjoy!

Vorsprung
January 20th, 2006, 07:20
Tailpipe i can understand your frustrations 100%. Having said that, i think the S6 and RS4 are very different in many aspects and cannot really be compared.

The S6 will be the more relaxed sports family car, whereas the RS4 is the more hardcore/focused race-type car. I feel each will appeal to their buyers purely on the basis of what they are.

I for one who does not have children would not consider an S6 for myself, but DEFINITELY an RS4 if the price is right. Personally the S6 is FAR too big for me. I want a smaller, nimbler car with plenty of power - ala RS4...

Yes the car has taken waaaay too long to actually get here, but its still a leader of the pack in my opinion compared to its rivals. It still looks so awesomely wonderful that when it is on the road expect heads to be turning left, right and centre.

I agree that it boils down to price. While the price in South Africa has not been confirmed yet, Audi SA have been telling customers that it will be VERY competitively priced here. Local magazines have been saying the same thing, so MANY MANY Audi fans are waiting in anticipation here for final confirmation of the price, and many have said that should it be what Audi SA is saying the price will be, they will be buying one immediately. The rumors have been saying that the RS4 will be priced equivalent or slightly cheaper than a C55 AMG in SA, which would be a bargain here... Only time will tell.

Fab
January 20th, 2006, 07:57
Vorsprung I am exactly in the same position than you : no kids yet, no need for a big car, so no S6 as an alternative (despite S6 will be a great sport/family car).

I will definitely go for the RS4 avant to have the ultimate RS sport car. No matter about fuel economy. I drove it and this car is great. You hear only great think about it. The most accomplished RS car ever. Would be a pitty to miss it.

We are all fed up to wait that's a fact. However as you say even with this delay the RS remains on top of the category in terms of performances and look of course. Even when new M3 will come out they will both compete and everybody will make his choice.

Tailpipe don't crack under the pressure.:p Unless you think the S6 is a better alternative for you.

:rs4addict

auditt
January 20th, 2006, 13:17
Mine will go into production in week 7 according to my dealer.

rheudabaga
January 21st, 2006, 02:21
BTW, I do have 2 young kids and I'm still gonna get a 4 series car. I have the S6 right now and it of course has been great, but the the wife is getting a Q7, which will now be the family hauler.

The new A4 is perfectly large enough for 'around town' driving and short trips with the family (I've loaded my dad's A4 up with the car seats just to confirm this!).

tailpipe
January 22nd, 2006, 14:52
Originally posted by Fab
Vorsprung I am exactly in the same position than you : no kids yet, no need for a big car, so no S6 as an alternative (despite S6 will be a great sport/family car).

I will definitely go for the RS4 avant to have the ultimate RS sport car. No matter about fuel economy. I drove it and this car is great. You hear only great think about it. The most accomplished RS car ever. Would be a pitty to miss it.

We are all fed up to wait that's a fact. However as you say even with this delay the RS remains on top of the category in terms of performances and look of course. Even when new M3 will come out they will both compete and everybody will make his choice.

Tailpipe don't crack under the pressure.:p Unless you think the S6 is a better alternative for you.

:rs4addict

When i see the RS4 Avant in the flesh at Geneva I'm sure I'll fall in love all-over again...

Fab
January 22nd, 2006, 18:25
happy to hear it :thumb:

We'll all fall in love with the avant in Geneva.

Welcome back :rs4addict