PDA

View Full Version : F430 vs GT3 CS vs Gallardo

Oscar O
January 17th, 2006, 06:39
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5807755268137464434&%20%20q=%22Test+drive+of+sports+cars%22+playable%3 Atr<br%20/>ue

09.05 in the video, is the race between F430 vs GT3 :race:

Qriouz
January 17th, 2006, 08:07
The F430 is one fast car!!!!:D

rks838
January 17th, 2006, 18:17
Informative video. The F430 vs. Gallardo race and the F430 vs. GT3 race were both very interesting.

CarbonFibre
January 17th, 2006, 22:44
I would be disappointed if the Gallardo's wheels were a very heavy design. The extra wing on it will create more drag on the straights as well. The GT3 held up surprisingly well despite being down more than 100 horsepower and being aerodynamically inferior to the Ferrari.

Ruergard
January 18th, 2006, 15:04
GT3 fights back! The start against the F430 was awsome! It really kicked ass :hahahehe:

Benman
January 18th, 2006, 15:38
GT3:bow:

Cheaper (by a lot), handled better around the skidpad, was just a fast (slipstreaming, they were both equal), and had better braking (watch the stability of the cars under heavy braking, the F430 tail get out of shape, whereas the GT3's is rock solid).

Porsche, there is no substitute.

Ben:addict:

CarbonFibre
January 18th, 2006, 20:09
Originally posted by Benman
GT3:bow:

Cheaper (by a lot), handled better around the skidpad, was just a fast (slipstreaming, they were both equal), and had better braking (watch the stability of the cars under heavy braking, the F430 tail get out of shape, whereas the GT3's is rock solid).

Porsche, there is no substitute.

Yeah but slipstreaming makes a big difference at those high speeds; we all know the Ferrari has got more muscle. If the GT3 was a clubsport did it have ceramic brakes like the Ferrari?

Benman
January 18th, 2006, 23:08
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
Yeah but slipstreaming makes a big difference at those high speeds
A really big difference, that's why the Ferrari could pass the GT3 when slipstreaming, and the GT3 could do the same to the F430. Like I said, about equal. The sad thing is that the F430 has "superior" aerodynamics and more HP, yet in the end, the GT3 is just as good! Nice job Porsche.:bow:

BTW, I don't think the GT3 did have ceramics or they would have made a point of commenting on them like they did with the F430??? If the GT3 did have them, they were obviously better, since they worked. :D

CarbonFibre
January 19th, 2006, 00:13
Yeah I didn't think it had them either, but I'd assume that a ClubSport model would have something like that. You can tell by the red calipers that the Porsche doesn't have them. What exactly does the Club Sport entail besides the roll bars? I'm guessing they stiffen the supension among other things, but I don't know if that bigger rear spoiler was part of that or not.

alex_s3
January 19th, 2006, 11:25
I would go for the Porsche or the Ferrari :D

Oscar O
January 19th, 2006, 12:51
but I don't know if that bigger rear spoiler was part of that or not.

It was not.

clam
January 19th, 2006, 14:50
I would be disappointed if the Gallardo's wheels were a very heavy design. The extra wing on it will create more drag on the straights as well. The GT3 held up surprisingly well despite being down more than 100 horsepower and being aerodynamically inferior to the Ferrari.

It looked like a functional wing, like on the Porsche, that could actually reduce drag.
It's the inertia of the Gallardo's AWD system that held it back on this track. It's also not as aerodynamically refined as the F430, but it looks a lot better.

Another impressive performance by a Porsche.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=105&i=10565
Check out this CARGRAPHIC GT3 RSC. That would explain the missing ceramic brakes. The car was also not Japanese (LHD).

Tom C
January 19th, 2006, 15:55
Am I imagining things or did the Gallardo look like it bogged or was babied at the start? I know the F430 is fast, but to take that sort of lead over a Gallardo, a car with more torque, AWD and admittedly more weight, it is a little strange. Maybe the new SE with its new gearing, more hp and a harder launch, would compete better with the amazing 911 GT3 C/S and F430.

Tom

CarbonFibre
January 19th, 2006, 20:40
Originally posted by Tom C
Am I imagining things or did the Gallardo look like it bogged or was babied at the start? I know the F430 is fast, but to take that sort of lead over a Gallardo, a car with more torque, AWD and admittedly more weight, it is a little strange. Maybe the new SE with its new gearing, more hp and a harder launch, would compete better with the amazing 911 GT3 C/S and F430.

There was a guy on another forum that said his GT3 already pulls away from his Gallardo as is, so maybe it is the gearing.

Originally posted by clam
It looked like a functional wing, like on the Porsche, that could actually reduce drag.
I'm not very knowledgeable about aerodynamics, so is there a chance you could explain to me how a "functional wing" can reduce drag?

clam
January 19th, 2006, 23:55
I'm not very knowledgeable about aerodynamics, so is there a chance you could explain to me how a "functional wing" can reduce drag?

You get a low pressure area behind the cockpit, b/c of the drop in height. This sudden change creates a turbulance which will cause drag and lift.
A wing in the right location will guide a good protion of the air over the drop. The drop isn't as dramatic anymore (from the air's point of view), so the turbulance is greatly reduced, as is lift and drag.
The air dynamics change with speed. That's why a proper racing wing is usually at circa the same level as the roof. A street wing will be a little lower, b/c you won't be going as fast. A little bump on the trunk doesn't do all that much.

You can off course shape a wing to provide downforce like an upsidedown aircraftwing. This function will cause a drag, however. But since a wing also reduces drag in the bigger picture, the overall drag might not be harmed. It all depends on how much downforce you want it to create.

http://www.max-mpg.com/html/tech/main.htm
this guy reduced the drag of a New Beetle from Cd0.38 to Cd0.28 by placing a wing on the back. You can tell by its location, he's not planning on setting any speed records. His thing is fuel economy.

http://www.max-mpg.com/images/ob0-9a.jpg

CarbonFibre
January 20th, 2006, 00:16
Thanks, that was interesting.

drronh
January 20th, 2006, 22:50
I don't know if that bigger rear spoiler was part of that or not.

The wing is a factory motorsport part that came on the GT3 RS. You can order directly from Porsche. I have one on mine. I haven't had it on the track yet, but I will find out next weekend. There are all sorts of cool motorsport parts that fit on the GT3 from the cup car program. The shop that maintains my vintage racer (914 6 GT) also races GT3 cup cars and has set me up with some things.

drronh
January 20th, 2006, 22:56
Originally posted by Tom C

Tom

AWD cars tend to do that. You have to launch the Gallardo gently. I know from experience- my first clutch lasted 1100 miles. In truth they have upgraded the clutch since then, but its still no Porsche. Car and Driver destroyed the clutch on the Gallardo they tested in the comparison against the F430. They did not get a 0-60 or 1/4 mi time in that test and went with factory figures. Its easy to over rev a GT3 on the launch and spin the tires too much. The F430 with launch control had a big advantage.

drronh
January 20th, 2006, 23:15
There was a guy on another forum that said his GT3 already pulls away from his Gallardo as is, so maybe it is the gearing.

That guy was me. The GT3 feels faster and sportier than the Gallardo. The Gallardo is way more exotic and beautiful, but you can tell the GT3 is faster after driving each. We did a photo shoot with some ferraris and bentleys and coming home I was in the Gallardo and my dad was driving my GT3 behind me. We got on it from about 20-110 mph and the GT3 was reeling me in before we had to lift. He would have passed me if we had more room.:incar:

CarbonFibre
January 20th, 2006, 23:51
Originally posted by drronh
That guy was me. The GT3 feels faster and sportier than the Gallardo. The Gallardo is way more exotic and beautiful, but you can tell the GT3 is faster after driving each. We did a photo shoot with some ferraris and bentleys and coming home I was in the Gallardo and my dad was driving my GT3 behind me. We got on it from about 20-110 mph and the GT3 was reeling me in before we had to lift. He would have passed me if we had more room.:incar:
Yeah, even the "low" horsepower Porsches perform way better than one would expect (just look at the Carrera S).
What forum was it ? I can't remember if it was AudiWorld or maybe GermanCarZone or something.

drronh
January 21st, 2006, 00:18
[BWhat forum was it ? I can't remember if it was AudiWorld or maybe GermanCarZone or something. [/B]

GermanCarZone

Benman
January 21st, 2006, 00:20
drronh,

Welcome to the forum. A nice stable of cars you have there!:heart:

On your avatar, is that your Gallardo playing in the snow?

drronh
January 21st, 2006, 00:32
Originally posted by Benman
drronh,

Welcome to the forum. A nice stable of cars you have there!:heart:

On your avatar, is that your Gallardo playing in the snow?

No thats the standard avatar- no snow where I live. My gallardo is my avatar at german car zone. I'm hoping to post some fresh pics there this weekend- I've got the GT3, the Gallardo and the Viper at the house now.

Benman
January 21st, 2006, 00:45
Originally posted by drronh
No thats the standard avatar- no snow where I live.
Never noticed that avatar before. I figured with your stable, road trips wouldn't be an issue. :hahahehe: