PDA

View Full Version : RS4 or E60 M5

supercup
January 15th, 2006, 18:57
Hi I am new to this board. I have driven an M5 as my daily driver since 1988 (1988, 1993, 1997 M3, 2000 & 2003). I have been very happy with them.

I tried to get an RS6 in 2003, but did not get my deposit in soon enough, so I got another E39M5. I traded my 2003 in for a new X5 for my wife, with the dealer promising me a car in 2-3 months. That was last Sept.. They offered me my ordered car at $10K over MSRP and I said no thanks. Since then I have been offered a few carss at MSRP, but I have been waiting to order another M5 when they get the current issues with Vanos oil line and transmission resolved.

I was at LA Auto show and looked at the RS4 and S8 and decided, although the RS4 may be a bit small it might be a fun car as a daily driver. Forgetting about size because I can always get an S6, S8 or M5 if I can't live with the size, what are the reasons for the RS4 versus an M5 (besides price)?

Thanks for your input and all the great information I have picked up from the board over the past 2 days.

JCM

MJN
January 15th, 2006, 19:07
I think both cars are very good daily drive sportsaloons, but both have some good points, like the RS4's less weight and quattro system, but the M5 has more power, SMG and is larger (if that's what you need)

My choice would be the RS4, i don't like the design of the BMW 5series. I think is the best looking Audi that made it to production in years. The M5 is stunningly good, but the RS4 does it for me. :rs4addict

Unfortunately, i'm not in the position of buying both, but it's still my opinion.

M3CJC
January 15th, 2006, 20:33
Im kinda in the same situation, however, i put an order in with my dealer for a new M5 a couple days ago and it should arrive in April(Interlagos Blue/Black SMG Loaded) I needed a little extra space and the RS4 back seat really isnt big enough to seat 2 other adults. What i love about the RS4 is the Engine note that i have heard in videos which sounds amazing, the interior(even though the US gets the watered down version i plan on getting the seats and steering wheel somehow) and the quattro system which will make it SO much better in the snow than the M5. Handling im sure is better in the RS4 due to weight, power though goes to the M5. I plan on ordering one as soon as i see one/drive one. You really cant make a bad decision, the only main thing to take into account is if you live some place where it snows and you go for the M5 make sure you have another car to use in the snow. Good luck in your decision!

supercup
January 16th, 2006, 01:56
Thanks for the feedback.

JCM

DaytonaGreyRS4
January 16th, 2006, 05:10
Comparing the two from a utility standpoint...

From a performance prospective, depends if you want AWD or RWD. An actual manual RS4, or SMG. I had SMG in my E46 M3, it was great... but the SMG 3 in the E60 M5 and M6 is far more advanaced.

The manual M5 / M6 won't be available until 2007 from what I've heard.

In any case you won't go wrong, look at the purchase from a utility stand point.

Lastly, the RS4 is 70k + the M5 is 100k+

Good luck.

Benman
January 16th, 2006, 15:47
First, I'd like to say a "welcome to the forum" to supercup and M3CJC.:thumb:

Both are obvious BMW owners, yet had nothing, nothing negative to say about Audi (please pay attention all trolls!:trash: ). No, they actually came seeking a fair (if a still Audi biased) opinion.

Well, as for what I think, supercup, if you've been able to live without quattro for nearly twenty years, you'll be able to continue to live without it just fine. Modern traction control systems make rear wheel drive vehicles handle better than ever in adverse weather and if you could live with the 88' M5 in the wet, the new one won't pose any issues. :D

You're right, the RS 4 is a bit small in the rear (like all A4s), so it might come down to that. It wouldn't make much sense (to me anyway) to get the RS 4, and then find out it's to small, and then get yet another four door sport sedan. To see if you really can or can't live with the size, just call a local Enterprise/Hertz and rent a A4 for a week or two. No, won't be as cool, but it will be the exact same size. Then, do all you're regular errands. Take people with you. Stuff em in the back. See if/or how much they complain. Then give it to the Mrs for a day or two so she can get a feel for the size of it.

If, after a week, you decide that the rear isn't an issue, then heck yeah, get the :rs4addict :heart: . A fine looking ride. If, after the week, you decide that the RS 4 isn't big enough, save your money and just get the M5. Again, doesn't make sense to get a RS 4 and then have to pick up a S6/8 for additional room.

Just my $.01.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

M3CJC
January 16th, 2006, 21:28
Everyone has preety much been dead on. I noticed that you live in CA, so you dont really need AWD. Also NB7RS4, i have been told by my dealer that march production you have the option of manual or SMG, dont know if its true but thats what he told me. I love both BMW and Audi, as they both make excellent cars. Personally having seen the M5 in person it looks soo good a lot better than in pictures, but i think the RS4 might be a little nicer looking IMO. Also price is a pretty big difference, mine listed out at 93,375 with gas guzzler and almost all the options, were as im told the RS4 will list out at around 72k+/- which is a 21k+ difference. Again good luck with the decisions and thanks guys for the warm welcome! :rs4addict

DaytonaGreyRS4
January 16th, 2006, 23:20
Originally posted by M3CJC
Everyone has preety much been dead on. I noticed that you live in CA, so you dont really need AWD. Also NB7RS4, i have been told by my dealer that march production you have the option of manual or SMG, dont know if its true but thats what he told me. I love both BMW and Audi, as they both make excellent cars. Personally having seen the M5 in person it looks soo good a lot better than in pictures, but i think the RS4 might be a little nicer looking IMO. Also price is a pretty big difference, mine listed out at 93,375 with gas guzzler and almost all the options, were as im told the RS4 will list out at around 72k+/- which is a 21k+ difference. Again good luck with the decisions and thanks guys for the warm welcome! :rs4addict

I looked into M5's and M6's. I decided to go with the RS4, b/c it's in my price range. 30k was a big enough margin for me to go with the RS4, it's not too much more expensive than my previous E46 M3.

My source on the SMG / Manual AVAILABILITY was based from reviews on M3Forum.Com where I was a owner / member.

From what I've read on the SMG3 in M6 and M5, go with the SMG!!

supercup
January 18th, 2006, 05:17
Again thanks for the feedback. I went by the Audi dealer and spent some time looking at the S4 and it is pretty small but the only thing I really don't like is how the center console hits my leg. I like everything else about the car.

I went by the BMW dealer and sat in an M5 and it fits me much better. But I like special, hand built, limited run cars (GT or RS Porsche for example). They always seem to be much more than the normal production counterparts and I assume the RS Audi's are no different. The M's used to be built this way, but not so much anymore. However I will say the M5's are so much more than even a 550.

I have deposits down for both, so I guess I will order when my slot comes up and take a look when they come in. Take it from there.

Will a test drive of an S4 give me any idea of what to expect from an RS4?

Thanks,

JCM

Benman
January 18th, 2006, 15:12
Originally posted by supercup

Will a test drive of an S4 give me any idea of what to expect from an RS4?

Thanks,

JCM
Not....even....close.

The RS 4 is to the S4, what the RS 6 is to the S6. Night and day difference in both speed and handling. It will only give you a feel for the size.

M3CJC
January 18th, 2006, 21:50
I hope the RS4 doesnt feel the same as the S4! I had the S4 for 10 months and it was great car but it just wasnt as fun as the M3 to drive IMO, but after reading and watching some reviews on it they say it blows away the M3 which is probably the most fun car i have driven(Porsche TT included). But the RS4 has a lot more HP, more TQ and about the same weight as the M3 so i expect it to be just as fun if not more(+ its a V8)! Cant wait to get behind the wheel of one of these beasts.. :rs4addict

masmole
January 25th, 2006, 03:12
As a longtime audi-fan, audiworld forum addict, former A4 and S4 owner, current E60 M5 owner, and soon-to-be owner of an RS4 this spring, let me chime in with my first post...

Apples to oranges but I see why the M5 and the RS4 can be compared. If I could only choose one, I'd take the RS4. Overall, it is a much sportier package (6-speed manual, smaller and lighter), more versatile for those living in the snowbelt (quattro), and better looking (yes even I think my E60 M5 is not the prettiest of shapes that has graced the automotive world). The M5 is a great car and the screaming V10 with the SMG3 7-speed together with an athletic chassis begs to be driven hard on a track... but it's still 4100+ lbs of german engineering and with amenities galore, full-leather, and its long list of creature comforts, it is still better suited as a daily driver and highway cruiser with the occasional tail-out antics on your favorite turn when nobody's looking. The RS4 while no lightweight itself, will be dare I say, more of a driver's car. But who am I to make such a claim? We'll see. As soon as I get my RS4, I will compare it back-to-back both on a track and sharing duties as daily drivers this summer with my M5.

I do have this sneaking suspicion that I will probably drive the RS4 more for several reasons: smaller and easier to park (I live in the city), better on a track (we shall see), more fun to drive (6-speed manual with a clutch pedal), easier to live with (the M5 is the king of gas guzzlers as I am averaging 10.5 mpg on my commutes to work and with its average sized fuel tank has a very short range), and usable all year rain snow or sleet thanks to quattro. And must I say it again... the RS4 is better looking :)

Well there you have it. An unbiased opinion from a longtime Audi-enthusiast who happens to own an E60 M5.

BBGT2
January 25th, 2006, 04:31
RS4 all the way ! But I am Audi biased and would never tell anyone to buy a Bimmer.:D

Bajo:addict:

rtbarry
January 25th, 2006, 06:38
Originally posted by masmole
As a longtime audi-fan, audiworld forum addict, former A4 and S4 owner, current E60 M5 owner, and soon-to-be owner of an RS4 this spring, let me chime in with my first post...

awesome and informative post.

Benman
January 25th, 2006, 15:12
Originally posted by M3CJC
after reading and watching some reviews on it they say it blows away the M3 which is probably the most fun car i have driven(Porsche TT included).

Cant wait to get behind the wheel of one of these beasts.. :rs4addict
M3CJC,

Try not to get unrealistic expectations. Posts here (mine included) have the RS 4 as the Mega Sedan. It is and it isn't. What I mean it that the M3 is fantastic. It's a great ride that is really tough to beat (in good weather:p ), but the RS 4 does! No, it doesn't cream it, but it does best it, the same way a M3 CSL doesn't cream the "normal" M3, but it will beat it hands down. The RS 4 is much more competition towards the CSL. Is it as good? Not quite, but that was quattro GmbH's benchmark, That was the car they borrowed from BMW for develpoment of the RS 4.

So yes, IMHO, I think you'll have more fun in the RS 4 than your M3, and the sound, ohhhh.... the sound!:heart: Just don't expect it to cream your "old" M3, cause it won't.:cheers:

Originally posted by masmole
Well there you have it. An unbiased opinion from a longtime Audi-enthusiast who happens to own an E60 M5.

Great post and welcome to the forum.:thumb:

I would definately be one of those looking forward to your first hand comparison of the two Beasts!:cheers: