PDA

View Full Version : S4 over RS4

RacerBice
January 13th, 2006, 10:46
Being fully aware of the fact that not too many of you (if anyone at all) will have reacted as myself, I simply have to say that I am utterly disappointed with both the exterior styling and the unique interior features of the new RS4. As compared to the S4 sedan, the RS4 is almost kit-car-like. At the very least, it gives you the impression of having been tuned by Mr Joe Average himself with the use of left-overs in his own garage.

In particular; the air intakes on the sides of the front end spoiler (similar to those of the A4 DTM and the 25th Anniversary S4) and the sharp line over the regular air intakes in the front end spoiler as well as the overall rectangular shape of the latter are not in harmony with the styling of the rest of the car. In fact, they're not particularly pretty even from an isolated view. Furthermore, the extra air intake below the single-frame looks more like a perforated metal plate, the integrated "spoiler" in the trunk is fair and square ugly, and there don't seem to have been any intelligent consideration at all put into the design of the rear "diffusor". Finally, the bullish side skirts (the basic design of which is carried over from the old RS4 and found also on the RS6) neutralise the sleek impression which the A4 body otherwise gives.

The only RS4 exterior feature I like is the wider body, which in fact adds to the sporty impression without making the car look clumsy. Nevertheless, to me, the "regular" S4 has better styling, with an exquisite front and much more balanced lines all around the car.

As for the interior, the RS4 gear box shifter, optional steering-wheel and RS seats are...well, basically horrendous. The Audi designers responsible for those no-brainers would definitely have some severe deductions made from their salaries, if I had had any influence in the matter.....

nene
January 13th, 2006, 14:53
That is funny how I see it totally the opposite.

I find everything to be in good balance, except for the wide body parts (the massive wheel arches). If you look at the one in the rear in specific, it is just way too high for a car that small. Very unproportional. it is even more pronounced in the Red Avant we saw pix of recently.

The front wheel arch is better disguised, however unproportional just as well.

In the RS6, being such a large car, the wider fenders look nice and proportional. On the RS4, they most certainly are not.

However, with all that said, it would most definitely not stop me from buying that car. Without seeing it in person yet, I am quite impressed with the brand and vehicle's layout. And must we not forget that I am turbo fan (no pun intended), thus the RS4 being turbo-less does not bother me that much either.

Sorry to hear of your major disappointment.

Benman
January 13th, 2006, 15:27
Originally posted by nene
That is funny how I see it totally the opposite.

I find everything to be in good balance, except for the wide body parts (the massive wheel arches).

Me too, although I especially like the wheel flares.:hahahehe:

To be fair, he did say, "Being fully aware of the fact that not too many of you (if anyone at all) will have reacted as myself..." and he's right. Not my reaction at all!

RacerBice, my question is have you seen it in person yet? The "US" edition is not a sweet as the Euro one (different wheel, seats, bumpers) but still sweet enough. And the quality of the decklid and quarter molded spoiler are far superior to anything "Mr Joe Average" could have produced. In fact, it is far more quality than just bolting a weak spoiler onto the decklid (ala M5 and my beloved RS 6).

Very nice quality, but that is just MHO.

Ben:addict: :rs4addict

eazy
January 13th, 2006, 17:43
I love the car.

Look on the picture :love:

Just awesome :)

Rstr
January 13th, 2006, 18:20
Too much snus for you... Joking.
Interesting opinions though.

Bauer
January 13th, 2006, 22:41
Well, I really enjoy the styling of the car, interior and exterior. It is the cost for perfomance numbers that disapoint me. I think Audi could have totally hit one out of the park and they decieded not to. Not sure what the reason was, but I would be willing to bet it was the bean counters.

on a side note: There was a test mule with a twin turbo V8 in the B7 doing testing. Now THAT would have been a car worthy of the RS badge.

DaytonaGreyRS4
January 15th, 2006, 22:26
RS4 flares out... like the old E46 M3 flared out opposed to the regular 3 series. The wider rear on the RS4 looks sweet, everything else is a bonus, esp. the 19's.

rks838
January 17th, 2006, 06:27
Only one performance number counts, the 'Ring time, and right now the RS4's time stands at an unofficial but quite respectable 7:58. If it's not this, it is between 8:00 and 8:05, which is as quick as a Carrera S.

Don't forget, Jeremy Clarkson said, "I've got a sneaking suspicion I'm sitting about 4 feet from one of the greatest engines ever made."

All bean counters should be fired if this car is $75,000.