PDA

View Full Version : TT in the snow...

carolinasweet
January 9th, 2006, 20:30
Hey folks I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions. I recently purchased a Nogaro Blue, '02 TT quattro with 20k on the clock. I love everything about the car except for one thing. One of the big reasons I purchased her was the quattro. I fell in love with the idea of not being hampered by snow drifts on the highway. Well guess what, my car handles beautifully in the wet and dry, but has been a total dog in the snow. My first experience was on the highway in New England the day after X-mas. There was a light dusting of snow swirling about on the road and my car became extremely unstable above 40 m.p.h. My tires are the original issue Michelin Pilot Aw's and while they are not "new," they would appear to okay on treadlife. Should I look into new tires or did I just buy a little too much into the quattro concept? Anybody have any similair experiences?

Thanks for your help and happy new year folks.

Iceman
January 9th, 2006, 22:18
Maybe you can ask that question here: http://www.tt-forum.co.uk

wfg, Hans.

Audihead
January 10th, 2006, 18:30
First off by having the TT you do not have a true Quattro system (Torsen). You have a Haldex system. Which means you are primarily front wheel drive until those wheels slip. Then power is routed to the back. Secondly all season tires are pretty much crap. Get snows for the winter. You should be fine after that. Just remember even with all wheel traction and snows you can't beat the laws of physics.

gnomik007
January 10th, 2006, 18:32
Originally posted by Audihead
First off by having the TT you do not have a true Quattro system. You have a Haldex system. Which means you are primarily front wheel drive until those wheels slip. Then power is routed to the back. Secondly all season tires are pretty much crap. Get snows for the winter.

LOL Do they even sell winter tires in UK?

Audihead
January 10th, 2006, 18:34
Originally posted by gnomik007
LOL Do they even sell winter tires in UK?

He says he was driving in New Engalnd. I believe that is in the U.S. .:D

gnomik007
January 10th, 2006, 18:41
Originally posted by Audihead
He says he was driving in New Engalnd. I believe that is in the U.S. .:D

HAHAHA I think U r right,thx :)