PDA

View Full Version : FSI V8 in 2007 S4?

firewired
January 9th, 2006, 14:18
Do you think Audi will add FSI to the S4 prior to the B8? To me this Fourtitude article seemed to be making a guess, what do you all think?

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_1898.shtml

S4 – Subtle Upgrades for a Stalwart
No car waves the flag for the S-brand as much as the S4. Sure, the S8 had its limelight in ‘Ronin’, but the S4 is the top-selling S-model in the range and enjoys a very loyal following and a very healthy aftermarket.

Will the car evolve in 2007? Nobody at Audi is saying for sure, but do the math and you can envision how the next evolution of the car will go.

Wheels are a no-brainer. The new S4 Cabriolet uses the wheel destined to become signature to the S-brand, as it has appeared on the S8 as well. They’ll likely migrate to the sedan and the Avant in the following model year.

However, changes to the S4 might not be limited to just looks. A source at Audi AG told us that all 4.2-liter V8s would eventually move to FSI as with the Q7. If that’s so, then it’s reasonable to assume that the S4’s current power ratings of 344 bhp and 410 Nm (302 lb-ft) would rise with the addition of FSI.

The FSI version of the V8 found in the Q7 is rated at 350 bhp and 440 Nm (325 lb-ft), well below the power, but not the torque of the 420 bhp and 430 Nm (317 lb-ft) FSI V8 in the RS 4. If the S4 V8 gets FSI, Audi could dial back the torque needed in the heavier Q7 and dial in a few more ponies, improving on the car, but still slotting it well below the high-revving RS 4. Time will tell.

Audihead
January 9th, 2006, 17:16
Well the new 2.0T and 3.2 are FSI now, what's to stop them from using FSI in the S4? It seems highly likely they will do this in the next year or two. Don't look for a substantial gain in power. Maybe 375Hp or so, don't want to compete with the RS4.

MJN
January 10th, 2006, 10:33
Ofcourse they will, because why would they use an old engine if they have made a 350 bhp V8 FSI? Indeed, i guess i will make something of 360-370 bhp, which is in fact just as much as the old RS4 and that in a S4!

Nice, that horsepower race! :revs: