PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Need to make a decision today ! about RS6

simon78
January 3rd, 2006, 20:54
Ok ! Need some help in making a decision:

1st Car is:

Silver with Black inside, 29,000 miles, one onwer, and currently at BMW of Richmond for $57,000 and still neg all options, but does not have the sound enhanced exhaust

2nd car is :

Black on black, with 11,000 miles, one onwer local, servied at Audi of Alexa, and can be a possible car for a CPO if the current owner agrees to do it. again full option and with the enhanced exhaust. asking around $67,000 but neg.

What do you guys think ?

nene
January 3rd, 2006, 21:08
Both seem like great choices. You can always purchase aftermarket warranty on the first vehicle.

Personally, I'd probably go with the second choice. I would want to take a good look at both before making final decision though.

Benman
January 3rd, 2006, 21:09
from this post ( http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=57602#post57602 )

Bauer will take the Black one, price be darned. Me, I'm anti black after having owned two black cars in the past (never again).

The mileage of the Avus Silver one wouldn't bother me either since it's still a one owner car. If you plan on actually driving your RS 6, than I'd go with that one since it won't be so "painful" putting miles on such a low mileage example (like you would in the Black one).

Check and see if the 4 year/50,000 mile Audi warranty is still in effect on the Avus one. If so, that would be my pick.

My $.01

Ben :addict:

CornersWell
January 3rd, 2006, 21:49
Simon,

I own an Avus/Black, and I used to have a Black/Black E55. To be frank, I prefer the Avus. It doesn't show nearly as much dirt. And, if you're in this area, you might as well get used to it. I was washing the E55 practically 2-3x a week. It was insane.

Also, can, and will, Audi of Alexandria do the certification? They STILL don't have an RS6 tech. It's now been several months, and, at this point, I don't think I'll be going back to them. They can't even tell me when they might have a new tech. What's even more embarassing is that they don't even have a plan, yet, to solve the problem. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I now go up to HBL, where they will provide loaners, btw.

My own car has about 29K on it, and with the extended warranty, I've got a long way to go. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage. But, I know how particular I am, and if it's a big deal, take a serious look at the lower mileage car. That said, it doesn't sound like the owner has decided to sell. So, until that happens, you really don't that car as an option.

You might also consider a PPI in addition to the Audi certification. Riverside kind of cut some corners on my certification. It's still a good car, but just something you might consider.

CW

Tom C
January 3rd, 2006, 22:50
Simon:

If you can get the CPO on the black-on-black car with 11K miles...go for it. The price you quoted...does that include the cost of CPO? If so....that is actually a bargain!!!!

The avus car is also a pretty good price too. It all goes to what your preference is...color and mileage.

Tom

GoFastKindaGuy
January 6th, 2006, 02:19
I wouldn't worry about mileage. At 29,500, mine still feels, smells and runs like new. However, check out the maintenance history on both cars. Has the Avus/Black had rotors and pads replaced? If not, it probably will soon -- and that will impact your initial cost. Check the tires. My point is: try to get apples-to-apples...

or ignore all that and get the color you like. I have never tired of Avus/Black on mine (I'll never own black paint again, either.):cool2:

Bauer
January 6th, 2006, 05:33
Originally posted by Benman
from this post ( http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=57602#post57602 )

Bauer will take the Black one, price be darned. Me, I'm anti black after having owned two black cars in the past (never again).

The mileage of the Avus Silver one wouldn't bother me either since it's still a one owner car. If you plan on actually driving your RS 6, than I'd go with that one since it won't be so "painful" putting miles on such a low mileage example (like you would in the Black one).

Check and see if the 4 year/50,000 mile Audi warranty is still in effect on the Avus one. If so, that would be my pick.

My $.01

Ben :addict:

WHHAAAAA!!!

Just got to keep on it.... got my local hand car wash to give me a yearly pass unlimited washes for $400.0. Could not pass that one.

As for the car, it is obvious... Ebony:D :D

Tom C
January 6th, 2006, 15:02
Simon:

Did you get either of the cars?

Tom

nene
January 6th, 2006, 15:03
Yeah...what's the verdict?

Benman
January 6th, 2006, 15:10
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
I have never tired of Avus/Black on mine (I'll never own black paint again, either.):cool2:
:D

Originally posted by Bauer
WHHAAAAA!!!

Just got to keep on it.... got my local hand car wash... Real men wash their own cars... or get their wives to do it for them.:D

Ben:addict:

simon78
January 6th, 2006, 17:27
:doh:

The Silver RS6 at Richmond SOLD !! :w: AHHHHH...

i was taking too much time and they sold it to someone in Utha.

And i am still waiting for the Black onwer to get back to me with an offer.

I reget about letting go the silver one, but will wait for an offer from the owner of Black RS6.

CornersWell
January 6th, 2006, 18:41
There are other fish in the sea...

Benman
January 6th, 2006, 18:50
Originally posted by CornersWell
There are other fish in the sea...
Yes agreed, all is not lost.

"All good things to those that wait"

Ben:addict:

Tom C
January 6th, 2006, 20:32
Simon:

Sorry to hear that. Although I have my own sad story (get your violin out) that has a happy ending.

On Thanksgiving day I saw that HBL of Tysons had a Black on Black RS6 in its inventory on Audi USA's website. I called the dealer Friday morning. The car had come in on Tuesday. It had 15K miles. The dealer said the price was "$69.9K but would let it out the door for like $64.9K" (why not just say $64.9K...I don't understand/trust dealers). Anyway, when I asked if I could see the car, the dealer gave me a story that another sales manager took the car home right before Thanksgiving and his wife had a baby. The car was at the hospital and they offered to go get it and have it at the dealership in a couple of hours. I didn't want to bother the new dad with running around and getting the car. I asked the dealer if the car would be in on Saturday. The dealer assured me that the car would be there "first thing in the morning". I stopped by the dealership right at noon. I looked up the dealer I spoke to on the phone. We meet and he tells me the car isn't back yet. I was a little disappointed but told them "no problem, we will go shopping and come back in a few hours". So off we went. Around 3 hours later we returned and saw the RS6 pulling out of the lot. I went in and discovered someone else was test driving the car. The dealer asked that we stay 1/2 an hour and see the car for ourselves and test drive it. We agreed to wait in the lounge. 45 minutes later... I get up to see what was going on. Apparently the prospective buyer's wife took the car out on the first test drive and now the husband was out (they alternated taking care of the kids). I was PO'ed that the dealers asked me to wait around like an idiot and mentioned right in front of the wife (prospective buyer) that we were very interested in the car and that it was worth waiting for and wouldn't last. I hate being used as a saleman's pawn so I left. They were open that Sunday and I called to see if it was available. It was not. I was not happy.

Within 2 weeks of this I found "the" car. It had a little more mileage but it also had ALL the options I wanted (the other car had the wood interior...I wanted the Carbon Fiber). I really enjoyed the 12 hour road trip back from Chicago in the RS6. Things really do work out for the best.

Tom

simon78
January 6th, 2006, 20:36
Damm the dealer...

I hope this private sales goes well and i get the RS6 with 10,000 miles on it ..

Again, i will keep you guys postes.

CornersWell
January 6th, 2006, 20:46
Simon,

I wasn't aware that we could get the car Audi certified if it's a private sale. I guess someone would just have to pay for the Audi certification inspection?

CW

P.S. I should have mentioned my own nightmares. First car was with Audi of Alexandria. They had exactly what I wanted, but I had 5 weeks left on my leased E55. So, I told them I'd be back in 4 weeks. They sold their remaining 3 RS6s in the 4 weeks! Then, I found a used car in Baltimore exactly as I wanted. Contacted the dealer, he suggested I send a deposit. I received the fax sheet on Friday, but I told him I was coming up with a check on saturday. When I got there on Saturday, they'd taken a deposit on it and it wasn't available. Third car was on AW.com or RS6.com. Negotiated a deal for the car. It was in Kansas City (or something like that). I was all set to fly out for an inspection, and the seller went silent. He had decided to keep it as his purchase of a Porsche TTX50 had fallen through. Twice. And the second time, the seller wrecked it on the way to the meet. Fourth car was on ebay. Contacted the seller. Was happy with the car, but the price was WAY out of line. He asked me to bid on ebay. I did and won, but the reserve was way out there. Passed. FINALLY found a car at Riverside. Well, my story on that car is posted elsewhere, but I did buy it. So, you're not alone.

CornersWell
January 6th, 2006, 20:53
Tom,

Sorry to hear this, but HBL is just like all other car dealers. I've bought numerous cars from them over the years (at least 10 MBs, 3 Audis, 1 Porsche and 1 RR). I've never really thought they were very good, and their service was horrendous.

I'm currently looking at an Aston Vanquish S there. Maybe there's something noble about groveling to buy their cars and take-a-number attitude. And, good luck if you actually want anything interesting. They simply do not inventory anything other than run-of-the-mill production cars. I was shocked, though, to see a Carrera GT on the floor. It's 100% available. But, I've heard indifferent things about the CGT, so perhaps this explains it (the CGT was over in the Aston showroom this past weekend, btw).

But, if you want a GT3, it's used or order only, and I'm usually not impressed with their used car selection. I don't order cars, either, although that's the direction I may have to go in in the future. Even my daily drivers aren't pedestrian. give me a GT3RS, an E55 or an RS6! Good luck finding anything new on their lot in these models.

However, the Vanquish S, CGT and SL65 are all available!

CW

Tom C
January 6th, 2006, 21:44
CW:

I wasn't too impressed by HBL or their inventory. A couple of months back I went into the MB dealership and they had a new black CL65 on the showroom floor. I talked to a saleswoman about the car. When I suggested that the car had a value at invoice price she looked at me in stunned disbelief...as if I flipped off her mother.

I saw the CGT at the Porsche dealer about 2 weeks ago (along with the Cayman S). What is hysterical is that another P-dealer in the area had a Cayman under a car cover and "wasn't allowed to show the public until its official launch". :vhmmm:

Wow...you have a very nice collection of cars . I think the Vanquish S will be a fine addition!!!

Tom

CornersWell
January 6th, 2006, 23:41
TomC,

Just to clarify, the cars have been over a period of 20 years (and includes family purchases). The current stable has a few openings, hence my interest in the Vanquish S. However, I'm more partial to race cars these days, and I'd rather put my $ towards acquiring another track car. I know what I want, but they're rare.

Moreover, I've kind of realized, given my own misfortunes, that driving a nice car here in the DC area is basically impossible. I've had too many incidents, and it always gets me worked up when a perfect car is bashed up by some knucklehead in a sh!tbox. Or the roads are a nightmare. Or the guy in the adjacent parking space decides to leave a reminder...or whatever.

Basically, it's a losing battle, so why play? Well, I guess I still love driving great cars because they make ME happy. Sorry, off on a tangent.

Back to you, Simon. Any news?

Oh, and, the Black CL65 is still at HBL. Maybe it's priced at sticker now! I mistakenly called it an SL65. My bad. Actually, there are plenty of 65s around. There's one on the floor at Euro, too. They can keep it. Put a deposit on the E63!

CW

JAXRS6
January 7th, 2006, 06:03
Originally posted by CornersWell
I wasn't aware that we could get the car Audi certified if it's a private sale.

I think you're right about this. I've been perusing Audi ads for years, and the only certified cars I've seen are sold by dealers. Certainly, if an individual could get an Audi certified, wouldn't he mention it in his ad? Otherwise why do it? But I have never seen such a mention for an Audi sold by a private party.

Dealers spend quite a lot of money to get some cars certified, with the longest checklist in the business. Just replacing wheels & tires to return to "stock" can cost thousands. After all that time and expense to produce a strictly stock car that is "guaranteed," why would then then turn it back to an owner who might mod it before selling, or maybe screw it up somehow? To do so would damage the integrity of the CPO process IMO.

simon78
January 9th, 2006, 15:45
Hey guys,

I was at HBL on saturday as well. I saw the CGT and the Cobra Shelby. WOW .. some one came in and got the Shelby for $90 grand.

Anyways, i was there looking for an RS6 and saw the E55 .
What a disappointment on E55. I used to own a benz and again it made me stay away from it.

Anyways, i am still searching... and is making me look at other options such as M5... But i know the Rs6 is turly a great daily car with massive power.

Tom C
January 9th, 2006, 17:52
Simon:

Are you thinking about an E60 M5 or E39 M5? I have (until the lease is up in April) an E39 M5 and it is a fantastic car. There are definitely attributes I prefer to the RS6. However, the RS6 is a better all around car. Now if you are talking about the new E60 M5.... I refuse to drive an ugly car...period (ok...ok..well except for rentals/loaners). I don't care about the M5's extra 50hp or 30 lbs-ft less torque.... or the SMG tranny or that too "organic" looking interior. Granted, the M5 is much better looking than the 530/550...but still has not passed "ugly" on the beauty-meter. Maybe I am biased because I think BMW ruined a very handsome 5-Series styling.

What didn't you like about the E55? Was it the 2006 model? I think the E55 is the best looking car in its class. CW may be on to something with the E63 with the new 7 G-tronic. Although I would wait a year until they get all the kinks out of the new engine and tranny.

Tom

CornersWell
January 9th, 2006, 20:25
I have to agree with you, TomC, on the new M5 styling. All new BMWs are hideously ugly, IMO. They're very nice and all that, but they're so ugly they can scare paint off a wall.

The older body style was significantly better looking. Again, my opinion. However, it seems to be a trend among auto designers that the new introductions are not nearly as attractive as the older designs. I suppose it's all in the never ending quest for aerodynamic efficiency and distinctive designs. Frankly, I don't even like the look of Audi's new S6. Call me a heretic, but it looks wimpy (among other unflatteringly descriptive words I shouldn't use).

CW

Tom C
January 20th, 2006, 20:20
Simon:

I think I may have found something for you. Check your private messages.

Tom

simon78
January 23rd, 2006, 18:14
Hey Tom,

Spoke to guy. He lives in Woodbridge and the specs of the cars are:
Dark Grey, silverstone leather, carbon fiber, nav and enhanced exhaust.

Serviced at Audi of Alexandria and bought as well in July 04.

Going to meet up with him on Sunday to take a look at the car.

Simon

Tom C
January 23rd, 2006, 18:33
Simon:

Sounds like a great car. Good luck!!!

Tom