PDA

View Full Version : Erik & others, need some advice please

QuattroFun
December 28th, 2005, 18:19
Uhum, the RS4 and a few extras - comments welcome from everyone and especially from Erik who has first hand seen these options in Essen:

- New black optics pack; do you think avus will look good with it? (remember old RS6 pics here and they looked okay). Or should one do Misano (not my favourite really) or light silver as in my current S4? Reckon myself based on RS6+ that darker colors (especially Black) will not look good with this option due to lack of contrast or Sprint either due to "complex interaction" (std matte alu trim much nicer in these cases IMO)

- Suede steering wheel; looks and feels good in all black interior I hope?

- Have not found any order code for Titanium version of PR2 19" wheels; does anybody know?

- Erik, was plus suspension okay at Gotland ring?

TIA

:rs4addict

Erik
December 28th, 2005, 19:10
- I think Avus or misano + black optics will be perfect. Black on black could be cool if you really want to be stealthy, but there's no contrast as you say. Avus or silver is the best I think.

- Suede steering wheel. You can chose color can't you?
Make sure you like the material, it will age faster than leather.

- The titanium 19" was brand new for Essen. And the first batch of cars will not have any specials. Perhaps that's why they're not promoted. Call you dealer and make sure he helps you.

- Suspension felt a bit soft for the track. So should be perfect for everyday use :p

PS. You can also chose the inlays in the sports seats and hand brake etc. It will cost you, but it can be done.

Dave
December 28th, 2005, 19:35
I think things like the titanium wheels will be part of the Audi exclusive range. I spoke to my dealer and they arn't even mentioned in any of the Uk press releases..

I might be able to buy them as an aftermarket product.. I'll have my normals for day to day and track use, and save the titaniums for best.

QuattroFun
December 28th, 2005, 19:42
Erik and Dave: Perfect - many thx!

Have currently on my revised order Avus with black optics and suede wheel & shifter with black Valcona leather RS4 bucket seats, the shiny 19" wheels for summer as aftermarket order (std 18" for winter) and sports suspension plus. And oh, really good to hear about the plus suspension being supple enough. Like the Alcantara (or is it suede?) wheel a lot on the CSL so reckon I will love the suede on RS4 as well. I am not into greasy burgers so wear should be okay (note: and nor can anybody else be in the long run who intends to take the bucket seats - they are tight especially with sticky cloth). My dealer has not been able to get from Audi any order codes for the Titanium version of the 19" and they do not appear on the Audi de configurator either - contrary to all the other new Essen options, which are now there with German prices. But this exclusive angle on 19" is worth looking into.

:rs4addict:applause:

freerider
December 28th, 2005, 23:46
I've seen the RS4 in Essen too. Just loved it the way it stood there. Only thing I would've changed is the color...in grey (same color as the pace car). I think it will look fabulous with that color. Although the silver rims also look great. You should definatly get the bucket (sport) seats.
I asked the people from Audi what the difference is between the sport suspension and the normal one. The car isn't lowered, it's just stiffer, but they did this because of the complaints from the UK, so if you want stiffer suspension (instead of the softer one) you can still have it. So the sport suspension is actually the normal one, and the normal one the softer one (get it?).
I personally like the alcantare (suede) more, because in the winter it's not as cold as normal leather and it looks nice. But like Eric said, it ages faster.
As far as driving concerns, I know nothing about that. Too bad.

Anyway, congrats with the order. Not a lot of people can say that they struggle with what to order on an RS4

QuattroFun
December 29th, 2005, 16:32
Many thx Freerider for the additional insights - both you and Erik seem think that Avus will look business with black optics also on the new RS4, which is good news for me given my thinking. I like the alu trim as such but just think that light silver (as on my S4) and Avus benefit from more trim contrast.

The suspension thing puzzles me, though; from Audi de, "Sportfahrwerk plus (quattro GmbH)
mit Dynamic Ride Control (DRC), variable Dämpfung, straffere Feder- und Dämpferabstimmung, ca. 10 mm Tieferlegung gegenüber dem serienmäßigen Sportfahrwerk" so it should be lowered by 10mm versus standard suspension.

:vhmmm:

Erik
December 29th, 2005, 16:37
Originally posted by QuattroFun
The suspension thing puzzles me, though; from Audi de, "Sportfahrwerk plus (quattro GmbH)
mit Dynamic Ride Control (DRC), variable Dämpfung, straffere Feder- und Dämpferabstimmung, ca. 10 mm Tieferlegung gegenüber dem serienmäßigen Sportfahrwerk" so it should be lowered by 10mm versus standard suspension.

That's how I would read it (but I'm not German haha)

freerider
December 29th, 2005, 19:49
Many thx Freerider for the additional insights - both you and Erik seem think that Avus will look business with black optics also on the new RS4, which is good news for me given my thinking. I like the alu trim as such but just think that light silver (as on my S4) and Avus benefit from more trim contrast.

I was suprised to hear this too, bc I also thought it would be lowered with the sport suspension, but the Audi-man at Essen said it isn't. Just stiffer.
If you want, I could ask it at a nearby dealer here (Belgium - Europe), who sells the RS4 and seems to know a lot about it.

And about the color. The "black" rims will look extremely stealthy with black body color, but I think that the RS4 is just at it's best in Avus or Dolphin. If you're not sure, you can ask somebody to photoshop the black rims underneath the silver body (or black on black). But I really doubt it will look ugly in grey with black rims ;)
Also keep in mind that the rims aren't dark black, so there will be a difference in contrast with the body.

Greetz Johan

freerider
December 29th, 2005, 20:10
Pics I've taken at Essen (too see the colors):

grey (pace car):

http://freeride.in2hosting.org/pics/P1010136.JPG

http://freeride.in2hosting.org/pics/P1010137.JPG

A3 in the same color as the RS4:

http://freeride.in2hosting.org/pics/P1010145.JPG

RS4 pics (not of the rims, there where too many people):

http://freeride.in2hosting.org/pics/P1010151.JPG

http://freeride.in2hosting.org/pics/P1010153.JPG

http://freeride.in2hosting.org/pics/P1010154.JPG

Greetz Johan

Ps: sorry about the size

Fab
January 2nd, 2006, 10:56

The suspension issue troubles me as well. The question is take it or not. The final order of my future RS4 avant will take place soon, most probably during the Geneva motor show early March. I definitely need to fix this issue before and go for the best suspension set up.
From my experience during RS4 days in Switzerland (one track day with the beast :heart: ) I also asked about the car suspension set up. The Audi guys told me all cars where with standard suspension. What I can say is that the car is lowered enough so no problem for the look (see below some of my pictures during the test drive). However the track being very flat I did not managed to feel the suspension on bad surface road. But the standard seems to be definitely okay (good compromise between efficiency during aggressive driving and relative confort for day to day drive) according to all tests we've seen during the past months.
I am pretty shure the super sport suspension is lower by 10mm which is even better for the look. My dealer who 's definitely not an expert when you start talking about technic told me that super sport supsension will be far to harch and would be totally unpleasant on the road. But having just red this post I start wonder again about it :confused: .
I will of course try to get a test drive with an without the super sport suspension to get my own feeling. It also very much depends on the country you live. I heard bad comments about UK roads whereas Switzerland roads are quite good.

If you look at the various RS4 already available in Germany (see : www.mobile.de) you will see that they all have super sport suspension. The other suprising think is that out of the 20 available RS4 I have seen on the net in Germany and Switzerland NO ONE has the RS4 sport bucket seats, they are all equipped with the standard Recaro seats. This surprises me considering how the sport seats are confortable and so great in term of fixing the driver.

Fab
January 2nd, 2006, 10:58

Fab
January 2nd, 2006, 10:59

Fab
January 2nd, 2006, 11:00

QuattroFun
January 2nd, 2006, 19:20
I will take my chances with the Plus suspension - but of course very eager to hear comments from road test drives.

I suspect the S4-like Recaros are popular on dealer demo cars mainly as the buckets are indeed not for the lardy bottomed and dealers do not want to take resale risks. Remember that the target RS4 customer is on average 39Y old based on Audi's own material.