PDA

View Full Version : Very strange

vs2
December 27th, 2005, 19:29
This has happened 7 times now, so it's not coincidence. I go up North once or twice every month in the RS6 (100miles) and at the same spot and only on the return trip my car goes into limp mode. I pull over turn the car off and back on again and all is good. The only time it ever goes into limp mode is in this same spot?? This is very strange. The last time it happened I was overtaking with a car behind me and as you may know when it goes into limp mode you have no power at all so its a little scary.

I've checked the area where it happens and there is nothing obvious around that may cause this and its not steep nor am I gunning it. Temps. etc are all good.

I'm baffled.

Benman
December 28th, 2005, 14:51
Maybe a secret military base testing stealth EMP weapons. :D

Ben:addict:

s42ski
December 28th, 2005, 17:00
Any modifications to the car ? - I have had the same thing happen with mine, I have the Revo software on it and it appears to be a known bug of the software. The problem happens when I engage the resume on the cruise control....

scary is the right word

Hy Octane
December 28th, 2005, 18:26
Can you describe 'limp mode'?

I have been suffering with a similar problem since new where after driving for a certain amount of time the car acts like its overheating and cuts the boost altho everything looks fine. Turning it off and on resets it... Audi has been trying to find the cause but still are baffled.. There have been a few reports of similar symptoms from a few users here... the more we share info the better chances are we will find the culprit.. Please keep us posted on your progress..

vs2
December 28th, 2005, 19:12
Haha Ben, yeah I actually thought about EMP. (one of the many scenerios going through my mind at the time :D )

I also have been REVO'd and what you say is interesting, but I still don't understand why it happens in the same spot every time. If it just an amazing coincidence then next time I will make sure I don't touch the Cruise Control while on this stretch of road. I can't remember if I did before as when you loose all power at 120kmh your only concern is the present.

I have heard about the REVO issue, but I was told it is only that the 'resume' button does not work and not putting the car into 'limp mode' I'll be calling REVO tomorrow about this as it could put you in a dangerous position.

Limp mode: The dash lights up and engine alarms go off, the car has no power and shudders a little, you glide to a stop. Engine, steering and brakes working but engine idling very rough. You take a couple of deep breaths, check your shorts then turn the car off and back on, you let out a big sigh as everything seems normal again and then you drive off very cautiously, then after about 20 km's you realize you are in an RS6 so why are you driving like a girl.

Aronis
December 28th, 2005, 19:50
That is the one spot in the continental US were the Revo warrantee is void.

Or it's UFOs.

An EMP would have knocked out the radio as well as all electronics, so that is ruled out.

Is it within a few feet of the same spot or miles?

Mike

Don't you love such weird issues?

Benman
December 28th, 2005, 20:02
Originally posted by vs2
Haha Ben, yeah I actually thought about EMP. (one of the many scenerios going through my mind at the time :D )

:D

Wasn't trying to make light of the situation either.

Paul's (Hy Octane) situation seems to be similar, but his always seems to happen when it's warm (weather related). Your RS 6 gremlins seem to kick in at the same place (location related). These gremlins are probably cousins, but not brothers. Please keep us posted of what happens the next time you drive through the same strech of road.

BTW, on the EMP subject, they are now testing "advanced" EMPs to where they knock out only certain types of electronics, by concentrating on certain frequencies. Very crazy stuff.

Ben:addict:

Aronis
December 28th, 2005, 20:23
[i]
BTW, on the EMP subject, they are now testing "advanced" EMPs to where they knock out only certain types of electronics, by concentrating on certain frequencies. Very crazy stuff.

Ben:addict: [/B]

Yes, they are going for the electronic frequency of the seat vibrator in the Caddy's...so when you race an STS-v you can knock out the seat vibrator and the driver's A** will hurt after the first turn.

LOL

Mike

vs2
December 28th, 2005, 20:26
Thanks guys.
It is on the same stretch of road and within 500m of the same spot.

I'll be back up there on the 6th Jan and will try it with CC off.

In NZ I use the CC off/on a lot because there are so many hills & corners, so this is why I'm confused that it only happens on this particular stretch of road.

Besides this issue I'm just loving my Avant. Nearly 6 months ownership now. :rs6kiss:

s42ski
December 28th, 2005, 20:31
VS2, what you describe is identical to the resume problem I had on return from Skiing on Monday, traction control and check engine light go on, power is zero and the car glides to a stop with downshifting as it slows. Once stopped idel is very rough. Re start and everything is OK again. LEt me know how your Revo contact goes, I am going to call them as well.

vs2
December 28th, 2005, 21:07
Originally posted by s42ski
VS2, what you describe is identical to the resume problem I had on return from Skiing on Monday, traction control and check engine light go on, power is zero and the car glides to a stop with downshifting as it slows. Once stopped idel is very rough. Re start and everything is OK again. LEt me know how your Revo contact goes, I am going to call them as well.

OK, but they are closed till the New Year down here. If the REVO is the issue I just hope they understand its not just the 'resume' function but far more serious!! I can't wait to go on that stretch of road again with the CC off. If it still does it then it will be a real 'head scratcher'.

s42ski
December 30th, 2005, 15:51
vs2, went to my local Revo dealer and he uploaded a software fix (for free). We then tested it for about 20 minutes and it seemed to work.

The problem he said had to do with the cruise control tables in the software, he said that the cruise control has torque tables that prevent high boost. If the CC software see's anything higher than expected it puts the car into limp mode like we both have seen.
':confused:'

I also had a chance to play with the valet mode in the software which turns off all boost. I have used that mode, but never driven the car with it.

Good news - the car is not nearly as fast

Bad news - the car is like a standard 4.2 A6 - still enough power to get into trouble

BBGT2
December 30th, 2005, 19:21
Originally posted by vs2

Limp mode: The dash lights up and engine alarms go off, the car has no power and shudders a little, you glide to a stop. Engine, steering and brakes working but engine idling very rough. You take a couple of deep breaths, check your shorts then turn the car off and back on, you let out a big sigh as everything seems normal again and then you drive off very cautiously, then after about 20 km's you realize you are in an RS6 so why are you driving like a girl.

That is what "limp mode" feels/acts like, that doesnt sound like that would be correct to me, I dont know never had any power losses as of yet.
Either way that is one helluva way to go into limp mode if you ask me, shouldnt that just reduce power and NOT lose all power as he is experiencing.

Bajo

vs2
January 1st, 2006, 01:56
Thanks s42ski. I'll get that done by REVO as well. I also figured out what was going on as I've been up North again and just got back. This particular stretch of road where it always happens has a long stretch then a tight corner then a long stretch again so after coming out of CC to slow for the corner and then hitting resume the car accelerates form 65kmh to 120kmh and that's when it happens, but if you get back up to speed first and then hit resume it is fine. So what you said about boost s42ski makes sense.

I agree Bajo, limp mode is not good and could put you in a tricky position, but I did find a way around that as well, quickly go into neutral, stop and start engine quickly and then back into drive. This is probably not good for the car but does work. Anyway seems like problem solved.