PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS5 Coupe' by "Autobild"

Iceman
December 23rd, 2005, 21:30
This is a "Autobild" illustration of the RS5 Coupe'.
http://media.autobild.de/bild/E/cf335ff89f8669c7b38847b69e11cd5e_1.jpg
Th RS5 Coupe' will have a upgraded RS4 V8 engine with 450 hp.

wfg, Hans.

AndyBG
December 24th, 2005, 02:46
Looks like a new TT, but...
...450 bhp sounds good anyway!

tailpipe
January 2nd, 2006, 11:12
I've heard that one of the first versions of the A5 will indeed be the RS5. Audi has tried hard to fit a longitudinally-mounted DSG box to the RS4 but without success - there isn't enough space - so it has brought forward the launch of a high performance A5 so that it can offer an ultimate RS model with DSG sooner rather than later.

The most significant thing about the A5 is that it is the first Audi model to feature the new PL47 platform architecture with the engine mounted behind the front axle. On quattro versions the handling dynamics are reported to be amazing. The only disadvantage versus a 3-series is the extra weight resulting from AWD.

It looks like the RS5 will arrive at almost the same time as the new M3 with a V8. This should create a very interesting head to head. I can't wait. Since the longitudinal mounted DSG box will be much better than BMW's SMG 3, I think the RS5 will have an edge, but as an Audi fan I'm bound to say that.

eazy
January 2nd, 2006, 13:32
Originally posted by tailpipe
The most significant thing about the A5 is that it is the first Audi model to feature the new PL47 platform architecture with the engine mounted behind the front axle. On quattro versions the handling dynamics are reported to be amazing. Man, that's good news :dance:
Can't await it.:wo:

luxmis
January 5th, 2006, 12:33
sorry for my lack of knowledge, - but what is the DSG gearbox, - I mean what is the special thing aboutit ?
thanks in advance for info.
Jan

Iceman
January 5th, 2006, 14:18
Originally posted by luxmis
sorry for my lack of knowledge, - but what is the DSG gearbox, - I mean what is the special thing aboutit ?
thanks in advance for info.
Jan
DSG = Direkt schalt getriebe/Derect shift gearbox with dual clutch.

wfg, Hans.

tailpipe
January 5th, 2006, 14:28
DSG is the Duel Shift Gearbox that debuted in the Audi TT. This is a new and innoavtive automatic gearbox concept that uniquely features two primary ratio shafts. The advantage of a dual system is that it pre-selects the gears above and below the one you are in to ensure extremely fast, efficient and seamless up and down shifts. Other benefits include better fuel economy and an enjoyable F1-style gear-change experience thanks to steering wheel mounted paddle-shifters. In short, DSG allows you to enjoy lightning fast gear changes when you want to explore the full performance envelope of a car, or a more relaxed fully automatic mode for everyday driving.

Motoring Press reviews seem to concur that Audi's DSG system is much better than alternatives, such as BMW's SMG system which is a sequential manual shift, i.e. a regular manual box with hydraulic actuators.

Some commmentators have suggested that DSG is future of all gearboxes. That may be premature, but having tried DSG for myself, I think it is great. It even blips the throttle on down changes automatically matching the revs to the gear and sounds immensely cool.

DSG has so far only been developed for laterally mounted engines as found in the TT and Golf. The Bugatti Veyron has the first longitudinally-mounted gearbox with, I believe, 7 speeds. This was specially engineered in the UK for Volkswagen and is expensive. Audi is therefore working on a less costly longitudinal DSG box for the next A4, the A6 and A8 models. No announcement has been made about when it will be made available. Many afficionados hoped it would debut on the RS4, but this doesn't look like it is going to happen.

The next iteration of DSG technology is designed to work in conjunction with the Torsen 3 differential which sends 60% of the power to the rear and with Audi's new platform architecture that places the engine behind the front axle. Together these three technologies will give Audi drivetrains a real edge.

If you want to find out more, search Audi's world website www.audi.com.

tailpipe
January 7th, 2006, 17:47
The more I see and hear about the RS5, the more I question how it will fit in between the latest RS4 and the new TT. Although the RS5 will be positioned well above the TT and priced accordingly, I can see quite a few people preferring the TT which won't be too far behind it in overall performance, on grounds of cost.

With better weight distribution and DSG, it will also eclipse the RS4's handling - unfortunately, it just won't be as practical. Part of the appeal of the S4/ RS4 is that they are M3s for people with families and dogs. So people who might otherwise buy the RS5 will not be able to.