PDA

View Full Version : I'm back....almost

AvusRS6
December 20th, 2005, 05:27
It's been a while since I've been on this forum but some of you may remember my RS6 - Avus Silver, O.CT Chip, Miltek Exhaust, and BBS LMs. Car only lasted 3 months then eventually moved onto E55, CL55, and now E60 M5.

I'm actively looking for a RS6 under 25K miles in Blue or Avus Siver. CF interior, and no Sport Exhaust as this car will be modded with Exhaust, downpipes, chip, and possibly bigger turbos if possible. Not really a "project" car as I will be driving it very often but want the car to really feel powerful. I'm not getting rid of the M5 as I'm truly enjoying this "refined" machine.

Stay tuned, will be back, hopefully soon! Good to see everyone again...Bauer you still around?

Tom C
December 20th, 2005, 14:02
Welcome back!!! I have read a number of your posts on here, the M5board and on mbworld. You are from DC area right? There is an RS6, Avus silver, CF interior but with 33K miles on ebay with a buy now of $61K:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-RS6-2003-Audi-3N903988-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6055QQitemZ4598930 830QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Good luck with your search.... it is amazing all the DC metro activity for these cars!!

Tom

KCRS6
December 20th, 2005, 14:43
Avus/black 16,000 miles in New Jersey

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=192600798&dealer_id=1000992&car_year=2003&model=RS6&num_records=50&bkms=1131465318181&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1981&certified=&search_type=both&distance=0&make=AUDI&min_price=&sort_type=mileageASC&address=66208&advanced=y&end_year=2006&max_price=&cardist=1098

Mugello/black 6000 miles in Oklahoma City

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190831668&dealer_id=1168780&car_year=2003&model=RS6&num_records=50&bkms=1131465318181&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1981&certified=&search_type=both&distance=0&make=AUDI&min_price=&sort_type=mileageASC&address=66208&advanced=y&end_year=2006&max_price=&cardist=286

AvusRS6
December 20th, 2005, 15:13
Originally posted by Tom C
Welcome back!!! I have read a number of your posts on here, the M5board and on mbworld. You are from DC area right? There is an RS6, Avus silver, CF interior but with 33K miles on ebay with a buy now of $61K:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-RS6-2003-Audi-3N903988-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6055QQitemZ4598930 830QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Good luck with your search.... it is amazing all the DC metro activity for these cars!!

Tom

Yup, that's me.

Thanks for the link...however it doesn't work.

That Blue with 6K miles sure is expensive. I got less than that when I sold my car about 2 years ago. :(

Benman
December 20th, 2005, 15:15
Avus, welcome back:thumb: ,

Nice to hear that you'll be returning to the RS 6 fold. Bajo went that route as well.:D

Bauer is still here, somewhere, but spends way too much time with his S4.:D

Ben:addict:

mi021le
December 20th, 2005, 15:35
Originally posted by Benman
Bauer is still here, somewhere, but spends way too much time with his S4.:D

:hahahehe:

welcome back.

KCRS6
December 20th, 2005, 15:55
There are also some cars on autoextra.com that are not on cars.com or autotrader.com. Good luck!

BBGT2
December 20th, 2005, 15:57
Avus, good to have you back, hopefully soon.

You dont have to tell me how the prices are different when you trade versus when you buy. I been down that route, but am glad that I got an RS6 back. Fortunately I was very lucky and got a real low mileage one. i dont know if you like the Misano Red but there is one from a member with around 4k miles on it. How do you like the M5, bet it's a blast to drive.

Bajo:addict:

nyrs6
December 20th, 2005, 18:48
Originally posted by AvusRS6
Yup, that's me.

Thanks for the link...however it doesn't work.

That Blue with 6K miles sure is expensive. I got less than that when I sold my car about 2 years ago. :(

Welcome back. Best of both worlds. Best sedan in the dry (M5) and best car period in the wet or snow (RS6). :addict:

Aronis
December 20th, 2005, 20:00
from what I have read here it is very dangerous to own both an RS6 and an M5.

You will be fighting with yourself constantly.

LOL..

Mike

just kidding

or am I....:trash:

LIRS6
December 20th, 2005, 20:40
Good luck - fwiw Riverside Audi (New Jersey) shows 3 on their website incl Avus, but posts in different forums raise q's about the dealership

Tom C
December 20th, 2005, 21:08
AvusRS6:

I sent you a couple more via PM.

Tom

iconcls
December 21st, 2005, 00:41
They all come crawling back.

BBGT2
December 21st, 2005, 03:02
Originally posted by iconcls

:D :D :D :D

Funny one except that in his case he came back after flooring the piss out of the M5 came to a ABS induced halt and screamed " I WANT MY RS6 BACK "

Either way its good to see the "old " gang back and posting, you included. Where have u been and u still have ur beast ?

Erik
December 21st, 2005, 08:15
Welcome back!

I find it very interesting that people are finding their ways back to the good old 2003 model.

:addict:

iconcls
December 21st, 2005, 10:03
Originally posted by Bajors6
:D :D :D :D

Either way its good to see the "old " gang back and posting, you included. Where have u been and u still have ur beast ?

Yep, still around but mostly hang out on AW these days and still enjoying the snot out of this car; so much so that I have now eclipsed the factory warranty!

Benman
December 21st, 2005, 15:36
Yep, still around but mostly hang out on AW these days and still enjoying the snot out of this car; so much so that I have now eclipsed the factory warranty!
Yeah, not to go OT (which I'm famous for...), but how many miles have you got now? 55K?

Yep, the Beast is addictive. I plan on keeping mine for a long time.

iconcls
December 21st, 2005, 23:46
Yeah, not to go OT (which I'm famous for...), but how many miles have you got now? 55K?

Doh! 58K

(And yes, Bauer, I put the miles on it as if it was a Honda.)

eph94
December 22nd, 2005, 03:51

Well, I officially returned my leased car to Audi today. :cry: At least I got over a dozen tracks days in, so I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It has been a true pleasure being associated with you all!

rks838
December 22nd, 2005, 05:27
Does that mean you're outta here for good? You can still visit, just don't get a BMW...just kidding :p

Bauer
December 22nd, 2005, 06:02
Yep, I am still leerking about here.

Seems like people may not be too thrilled with the new NA route Audi is taking as our cars have seemed to appreciate recently. I wonder if I can 1031 exchange some rental property into 20 RS6's?:D

Good to have you back.

Icon... glad to see you are enjoying that Accord to it's fullest.

Ben-

Jealously is an ugly thing:hihi:

Actually, the motor is out of it right now with the turbos being rebuilt. Had the mounting bracket fail on the drivers side IC and tear off, which in turn damaged the IC. Causing the turbo to over-spin and start with the famous dentist drill noise. Good times. Anyway car should be up and running in the next week or so. Cams will be going in it while the motor is out as well.

But in truth, I think middle of next year I will be building a 3.0 aluminum motor for it with GT28's going in:wo: Car should put out around 600 wheel hp with that set up.

Being financially responsible..

here is a pic of one of the turbos exhaust sides.... seems it got a little too hot.

http://images9.fotki.com/v185/photos/6/673844/2504552/BBturbo2-vi.jpg?500393

Benman
December 22nd, 2005, 15:09
Originally posted by Bauer

Ben-

Jealously is an ugly thing:hihi:

[/IMG]
Jim Carey, nice...:D

Jealously... not at all.:p In fact, I'm studying everything you're doing, and soon enough the call will be made to Stassis, and will say, "Hello Stassis, my name is Ben, you recently built a S4 for a Mr. Bauer. Well go ahead and duplicate it, I'd like to skip all the BS that he went through and get straight to the good stuff!":hihi:

You know, learn by other's tirals and errors.:D BTW, I'm finding decent condition 00' S4s for sub $15K!

Benman
December 22nd, 2005, 15:13
Originally posted by JJV-MA
Well, I officially returned my leased car to Audi today. :cry: At least I got over a dozen tracks days in, so I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It has been a true pleasure being associated with you all!
Say it ain't so! One is rejoining the ranks as another falls!

Hoping you stick around!:cheers:

Bauer
December 22nd, 2005, 16:53
JJV-MA,

Sorry to hear but understand.... now lets go out and get you a B5 S4 and turn it in to a track car. I have done all the leg work for you already:D :D (as Ben points out).

Ben,

B5 S4's ARE getting extremely cheap... they are turning into the C4 S4 which is also a very cheap car for what it is and tuning ability. Shoot me an e-mail when you get close and we can talk.

Benman
December 22nd, 2005, 18:04
Originally posted by Bauer
Shoot me an e-mail when you get close and we can talk.
Will do. Still @ 4 months out from purchase.

eph94
December 22nd, 2005, 21:06
Sure, I'll definitely stick around, if you guys don't mind. :0:

I'll start thinking about that track car in May when winter finally ends here!

Decisions, decisions...

Joe

iconcls
December 22nd, 2005, 22:31
WTF, am I going to be the only idiot left tracking these barges.

Benman
December 23rd, 2005, 19:53
WTF, am I going to be the only idiot left tracking these barges.

No, this idiot still does...:incar: For now ...:hahahehe:

nyrs6
December 24th, 2005, 22:47
Originally posted by JJV-MA
Sure, I'll definitely stick around, if you guys don't mind. :0:

I'll start thinking about that track car in May when winter finally ends here!

Decisions, decisions...

Joe

Just curious. What did you replace the RS6 with?

eph94
December 25th, 2005, 05:00
Originally posted by nyrs6
Just curious. What did you replace the RS6 with?

Nothing yet. I'm undecided and in no rush at the moment. For daily driving, I drive either our X5 or MINI Cooper. The MINI is especially a hoot to drive on snow covered roads; it rotates with ease using left-foot braking. Fun!

I'll probably never by a car as big as the RS6 again. Sure, I loved its power, but I grew to detest its weight after doing over a dozen track days (and a couple of winter driving schools) with it. It takes a lot of patience and effort to drive it well. Sometimes I felt as though I could count "one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand there" as I waited for weight to transfer from one side to the other in the esses of tracks.

I'm tempted to replace the MINI with an A4 2.0T for a daily driver (especially since I still have Audi 18" 5-spoke winter tires and wheels mounted with Wintersport M3's) , and then think about a dedicated track car like a C6 Z06. A 997 C4/C4S has also crossed my mind if I want a split duty car. I'm even considering the Spec Miata route. Decisions dedicisions.

Joe

AvusRS6
January 3rd, 2006, 05:00
After many weeks of looking and weighing out the different options, I think I will take the B5 S4 route and just mod the piss out of it and track it and worst case I can throw on some winter shoes since my M5 doesn't do a a good job at all. After much contemplation, it made more sense to go with a smaller and chaper B5 and dump about $15K into it for "fun" I figure an 00 or 01 should run me about 15 to 18K and upgraded turbos, chip, exhaust, downpipe, etc ect should run about 15K with labor and I should have a pretty fast car...no offense I've been reading a few threads where a modded B5 walked a RS6 :( Speed of the RS6 wouldn't have been 1st priority since the M5 seems to do a pretty good job in that department for me for now, but the B5's modding capabilities are just too awesome to ignore.

Baur, I'll PM you in about 2 weeks or so and hopefully you can give me some input. 2 weeks cuz I'm in the middle of a clusterf@ck with my builder (new home) and I'm trying to get this resolved first.

In any case, I'll update you all on the progress...

Today I saw a chic driving a Daytona gray RS6 and I knew right away it was a RS6 by its front bumper and wide stance...damn that car was purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdy. :0:

JAXRS6
January 3rd, 2006, 06:12
After many weeks of looking and weighing out the different options, I think I will take the B5 S4 route and just mod the piss out of it and track it

As a former B5 S4 owner, I think that sounds like a great idea. My S4 was more nimble, especially for tight turns, and with only a chip it wasn't far behind my RS6. With catbacks, downpipes and other mods ...:s4addict:

The S4 is more nimble because it is smaller with less of its weight up front (IMO). Taking that a step further, you might also want to consider a Stasis conversion of a B5 A4 1.8T. That was my car before the S4, chipped to 200 hp and the only car I've tracked. It was a blast, and that four banger has great potential from which Stasis has harvested a reported 4.9 0-60. Its still lighter front end should make it a terror in the turns.:wo:

The Stasis package may cost more than $15K, but an A4 1.8T costs a lot less than an S4. I'm not sure which would be cheaper, and I don't mean to promote one over the other. Just an idea.

Benman
January 3rd, 2006, 15:14
I think I will take the B5 S4 route and just mod the piss out of it and track it. After much contemplation, it made more sense to go with a smaller and chaper B5 and dump about $15K into it... the B5's modding capabilities are just too awesome to ignore.

Baur, I'll PM you in about 2 weeks or so and hopefully you can give me some input.
Another B5 S4 member, hopefully next year, I'll be joining you.:D

BTW, after you PM Bauer, plan on spending way more than $15K in mods...:hahahehe: :D

Erik
January 3rd, 2006, 15:16
What's this? People planning on buying older models rather than the latest stuff?

Maybe we should start an "Audi Classic" sub forum :rotflmao:

Benman
January 3rd, 2006, 15:29
Originally posted by Erik
What's this? People planning on buying older models rather than the latest stuff?

Maybe we should start an "Audi Classic" sub forum :rotflmao:
:D
Well... if the newer stuff keeps going the NA path, a lot of Audi folk will start buying the older stuff.

"If I wanted a NA "more BMW like" Audi, I would have bought a BMW in the first place!" :(

alex_s3
January 3rd, 2006, 17:31
Originally posted by JAXRS6
As a former B5 S4 owner, I think that sounds like a great idea. My S4 was more nimble, especially for tight turns, and with only a chip it wasn't far behind my RS6. With catbacks, downpipes and other mods ...:s4addict:

The S4 is more nimble because it is smaller with less of its weight up front (IMO). Taking that a step further, you might also want to consider a Stasis conversion of a B5 A4 1.8T. That was my car before the S4, chipped to 200 hp and the only car I've tracked. It was a blast, and that four banger has great potential from which Stasis has harvested a reported 4.9 0-60. Its still lighter front end should make it a terror in the turns.:wo:

The Stasis package may cost more than $15K, but an A4 1.8T costs a lot less than an S4. I'm not sure which would be cheaper, and I don't mean to promote one over the other. Just an idea.

Isn't that really good? 0-60mp/h in 4,9 sec with 200 hp?

gregoryindiana
January 3rd, 2006, 20:30
:D
Well... if the newer stuff keeps going the NA path, a lot of Audi folk will start buying the older stuff.

"If I wanted a NA "more BMW like" Audi, I would have bought a BMW in the first place!"

Audi has 2 things going for it that other German manufacturers had to copy to compete with them on performance. I'm not talking about their interior fit and finish, or styling, which you like or you don't, or maybe (Bangle) it grows on you, or maybe you don't see it from the inside.

The first is quattro. I have never tried 4matic from Daimler-Benz, nor have I tried the BMW ix system. Never needed to; Audi has worked to modify and update their quattro system over the years.

The second is engine technology friendly to turbos. They went to water cooled turbo bearings early for better reliability, and their turbo engines have historically been internally robust enough that uprated aftermarket parts hung on them, sourced from suppliers with factory connections, didn't cause the engines to grenade. Possible decreased service life was a given, but I could live with 120,000 miles modded versus 180k unmodded.

If Audi abandons forced induction it will be a shame. Going forward, their best tech trick will be DSG, or whatever that metamorphoses into. Certainly that will be an improvement over Tiptronic, which has seen its day. Even Porsche, the inventor of tiptronic, has seen the future, and will either develop their old PDK system for street use, or, more likely, will license DSG from VW, just as Audi/VW licensed Tiptronic from them. If DSG is in the next R10 racer, then obviously the power and torque limitations to this point have been resolved (hope, hope)

I join the chorus of members here who will be reluctant to jump in for a naturally aspirated next Audi. Once you've had turbo power, it's hard to go back.

I waited 9 years with a 1994 Ur S4 with heavy Abt mods (?310 bhp +/-) before I bought the RS6, as that was the first Audi available in the US that I thought represented enough of an upward increment in performance and exclusivity to justify giving up the old car. And even then, I had to swallow hard with only the Tip available; I wouldn't have done it except that you Europeans didn't get a different transmission either. I figured that I would encourage Audi, to the extent I am able, to make their Euro content available to us in the states also. (I would buy a TDI diesel A8 tomorrow if it were offered here)

Benman
January 3rd, 2006, 20:56
Originally posted by gregoryindiana

If Audi abandons forced induction it will be a shame.

(I would buy a TDI diesel A8 tomorrow if it were offered here)
A big shame. Don't get me wrong, the new RS 4 is fantastic and I was completely impressed with its abilities, but I love the twin turbo motor in my RS 6 and since having it, will be very hard pressed to give it up for a NA motor. Maybe I'll "outgrow" the Turbo motor in later years, but right now its too addictive.

And yes, more diesels in the States please.

AvusRS6
January 4th, 2006, 06:13
Originally posted by gregoryindiana
Audi has 2 things going for it that other German manufacturers had to copy to compete with them on performance.

I don't think I quite understand this statement. I think Audi is the only Turbo German company (P-Cars not included, nor VW since they're sorta sister companies).

You sold our 993 C4S :doh:

Just kididing.

JAXRS6
January 4th, 2006, 07:12
Originally posted by alex_s3
Isn't that really good? 0-60mp/h in 4,9 sec with 200 hp?

Sorry, I could have written that clearer. MY 1.8T A4 had an APR chip only ($600), for 200 hp; I don't know it's 0-60 time, but it was considerably slower than 4.9 although a ton of fun at the track. The STASIS 1.8T A4 has many more mods at much greater expense, plus their reported 0-60 time of 4.9 as advertised in the Audi club's quarterly magazine. I believe that mag, or perhaps another, also had good things to say about the Stasis conversion in a review/article. Also, I attended a Stasis Q&A session, with one of their racing B5 A4s present, at a Florida club meet -- and was impressed.

Also, to ERIK: The older B5s make great track cars because with turbos, much more power can be gained with a chip. The lower price makes more sense for a track car to many people. Finally, some have said the older cars are more nimble than the B6 and B7 versions, but I can't verify that personally because I haven't driven the newer cars.

Benman
January 4th, 2006, 16:47
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Finally, some have said the older cars are more nimble than the B6 and B7 versions, but I can't verify that personally because I haven't driven the newer cars.
The weight alone will tell the story. A 2000 B5 S4 weights (dry) 3600lbs. A 2006 B7 S4 is nearly 4100lbs! That RS 6 territory!!!:bigeyes:

alex_s3
January 4th, 2006, 16:54
yeah, If you chip your B5 S4 could i produce a lot more NM than the newer mod of the S4! Turbo advantage :D

gregoryindiana
January 6th, 2006, 04:25
I don't think I quite understand this statement. I think Audi is the only Turbo German company (P-Cars not included, nor VW since they're sorta sister companies).

My point exactly. The statement WAS that only Audi among comparable German manufacturers, (excludes Porsche and the sister company VW) offers turbos. If they continue to leave that technology behind and only offer NA cars, that differentiates them that much LESS from BMW or Daimler-Benz.

The other thing is quattro. Audi still like that, I guess, thank goodness. Quattro was enough of a success that Daimler had to come with 4matic, and BMW their ix drive, to compete. And I don't know if even today you can get those all wheel drive models across their entire model lines.

If they abandon turbo, then they will have to make a big push with DSG to make up for it. And it still won't be enough for me. I may have the NA 1990 V8 Quattro by default (it was my wife's car until she got the A6 4.2, but I only keep it because it is a nice reserve car with no market value, and I have decent mechanical sympathy that makes it easy to see problems early before they would keep her off the road. BUT I love my twin turbos, just as I loved the single ones in the previous Ur S4, and the 5000 CS Quattro that started it all off for me. I haven't been without an Audi with a Turbo for 20 years, which is my entire Audi experience. My father had a 4000 before that.