PDA

View Full Version : Brake Squeal

s42ski
December 17th, 2005, 03:45
Suggestions please!

I have had my beast for a little over a year and since I got it it has had some brake squeaking. The last month or so it turned into a howling at low speeds when turning into the driveway -javascript:smilie(':MTM:')
MTM Power

Yesterday brought it in to Pacific Audi, they replaced the front pads (under spec value ). The howl is still with me and seems to be worse - I am hoping that once the new pads bed in on the rotors this will go away.

Anyone else had this problem ? and what was the solution ?

BBGT2
December 17th, 2005, 16:10
Mine squeal real bad when almost stopped but havent taken it in yet.
My experience with Audi brakes is that they ALLWAYS squeal and they cannot fix it for the long term.
On the other hand my bro's CL65 has been in the shop 4 times or brake squeal in the last 5 months :D !
I will take it in to Audi probably at the next service to have it checked out but probably they will not get it fixed where it last's for more than a couple of months.
Howling should not be happening at all anytime, have them check your wheel bearings and tires for uneven wear.

Bajo:addict:

Aronis
December 17th, 2005, 18:29
I had new brakes put on last week.

The fronts squeal just as I come to a stop.

This is normal for new pads I think, and it does not worry me.

But a 'new' squeal on formerly quiet brakes may be a foreign body between the disk and the pad. Any scoring on the disk? Check the INSIDE SURFACE TOO, too easy to ignore the inner surface.

I had a friend who ignored a new squeal and ended up with a nice deep grove on the inner surface of the front rotor on a Prelude.

Mike:360:

BBGT2
December 17th, 2005, 19:10
Originally posted by Aronis
I had new brakes put on last week.

The fronts squeal just as I come to a stop.

This is normal for new pads I think, and it does not worry me.

Mike:360:

That is exactly when mine squeal, except mine arent new theyhave 4k on them, typical Audi. I say typical because onmy 01 S8 they changed the front rotors 3 times rear rotors 2 times and the squeal always came back after a month or so.
I was going to try diff. brake pad material but I sold the car, if this happens with the RS6 I am def. going to try diff. brake pad's and if they (Audi) doesnt like it because I will void my brake warranty so be it, it does get old with time this squeal and to be honest it is embarrasing at times too.
Did you guys know and interesting fact that why they came up with ceramic brake pads ? They squeal too but in a frequnecy undetectable by a human ear, funny this thing technology is.

Hy Octane
December 17th, 2005, 19:27
They all squeal.. Take it back to Pacific and ask them to apply some of the anti squeal lube they have for this purpose.. Its heat related. the more short stops you do the worse the squealing..

s42ski
December 17th, 2005, 19:41
This makes sense, I tend to do a lot of stop and go driving ( in LA, who doesn't!), so that would explaing the worsening of the squeal. Back to the shop

BBGT2
December 17th, 2005, 19:55
My GT2 brakes dont squal, ever, never, none, zip, zilch, and best of all NO BRAKE DUST !

Aronis
December 17th, 2005, 19:55
Originally posted by Hy Octane
They all squeal.. Take it back to Pacific and ask them to apply some of the anti squeal lube they have for this purpose.. Its heat related. the more short stops you do the worse the squealing..

I'll spray some Dw40 on them.

LOL

Mike

BBGT2
December 17th, 2005, 20:04
I'll spray some Dw40 on them.

LOL

Mike

That is the answer and a sure bet they wont squeal no more :p :p :p :p :p !
Good one Mike, LMAO !

s42ski
December 17th, 2005, 20:06
Bajo, rub it in, rub it in! no dust is the part that gets me with the GT2 - I can live with SOME brake noise, its when the kids know I am home before I pull in the driveway and people look at my car funny.

The dust issue is going to make my decision on new wheels easier - only a 5 spoke will do, no BBS - too much to clean every week.

BBGT2
December 17th, 2005, 20:37
Originally posted by s42ski
Bajo, rub it in, rub it in! no dust is the part that gets me with the GT2 - I can live with SOME brake noise, its when the kids know I am home before I pull in the driveway and people look at my car funny.

The dust issue is going to make my decision on new wheels easier - only a 5 spoke will do, no BBS - too much to clean every week.

Sorry dude, but I got some issues with my RS6 as well, :D !
I know what you mean about the wheels getting dirty the stock ones are a PITA to clean.
Funny thing you said about the kids knowing you are home before you see them.
OH BTW guys, do not fall for the "magic spray" for wheels that supposedly repels brake dust its just plain does not work.

Bajo

BBGT2
December 17th, 2005, 20:39
Anyone here ever try any other brand of brake pads from a aftermarket source, if so chime in on this subject please.

Qisha
December 19th, 2005, 10:48
Race Pads require a higher "working Temperature". Race Pads will lead to a average friction coefficient round about 0.6. For daily use not recommendable as you will have to keep the Brake warm for best results. There are different Brake Pads available, the softer the Material Mix is, the less squealing you will get, also reduced Brake Dust. This is the pro but you will loose a bit of Brake performance since the average friction coefficient is round about 0.45. One important thing is to make sure the Brake Pads have been properly seat and have 100% contact surface against the disc. There is a need to "Brake in" new Pads for best results and proper fit.

AMG EATR
December 19th, 2005, 23:25
I am having the same problem with the brakes. They tend to make noise under low pressure breaking at low speeds. I took it to dealer and they said everything looked okay but I put no pressure for them to do anything. Is there anything I can do? The car only has 20k miles and I will sell the car if nothing can be done. I figure both new brakes and rotors should solve the problem, would dealers do this under warranty or no? THanks again for the help, this board is very useful.

Benman
December 20th, 2005, 01:12
Originally posted by AMG EATR
I figure both new brakes and rotors should solve the problem, would dealers do this under warranty or no? THanks again for the help, this board is very useful.

For noise? Probably not. But for completely wore out pads, yes. Just use them up, then get "free" replacements.

To be a nice guy, ask them first if they will replace the pads for noise. If the dealer is really cool, and they do, then problem solved. If not, use them up as mentioned, and get replacements.

BTW, had the same problem with first set of pads. After the first set was used up, new set was put on and I haven't had the problem since (very, very minor now). As Qisha mentioned, proper break in for the pads to set is important

Ben:addict:

AMG EATR
December 20th, 2005, 05:11
Are the rotors and brakes also covered under warranty then? I will try to have the pads replaced and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Benman
December 20th, 2005, 15:09
Originally posted by AMG EATR
Are the rotors and brakes also covered under warranty then? I will try to have the pads replaced and hopefully that will solve the problem.
They are (for now...), but new Audis are not. I still don't know for sure if they'll change them out "just" for noise.

Thinking back, I remember the dealer did change mine when I told them about the noise. After inspecting them, they found the pads to be defective. After replacements were put on, the problem has been much better (although it will still happen a little bit, but much more liveable).

Everything on the RS 6 is covered, even wiper blades, as long as you don't mod! (that depends on the dealer though.)

BBGT2
December 20th, 2005, 15:46
Originally posted by s42ski
Suggestions please!

I have had my beast for a little over a year and since I got it it has had some brake squeaking.

S42ski,

You have had your RS6 for a year and you only posted 16 times, :w: :w: :w: :w: !
Not good, post more drive happier and your car will appreciate it :D .
Just kiddin, this forum is a happy one and I personally love reading any post from a RS6'er, we are the chose few :dance: .

Good luck with your brake problem, Audi dealer are pretty good (most of them) and if you already have a good relationship with your dealer all will be taken care of.

Aronis
December 20th, 2005, 18:37
BMW has been playing up their full coverage for leased cars including brake pads and rotors.

Too bad Audi decided to drop it.

Let see...rotors for RS6 $480 fronts (if I recall) and $250 for rears......easily hide a couple sets in the $85000 price....ummm

Mike

Benman
December 20th, 2005, 23:04

Let see...rotors for RS6 $480 fronts (if I recall) and $250 for rears......easily hide a couple sets in the $85000 price....ummm

Mike
$480 is for each rear!:bigeyes: $720 is the price for each front!:bigeyes: Pads for both fronts are $750, rears are close to $300.

So if you needed all new rotors and pads...$3450.00!!!

gregoryindiana
December 21st, 2005, 00:24
Originally posted by Benman
$480 is for each rear!:bigeyes: $720 is the price for each front!:bigeyes: Pads for both fronts are $750, rears are close to $300.

So if you needed all new rotors and pads...$3450.00!!!

Seems to me that those Movits I saw discussed here a while back start to look affordable when the OE replacements cost this much. And apparently much better braking with better longevity. The only problem is that there is no US distributor for Movit, at least not that I can find.

Benman
December 21st, 2005, 00:53
Originally posted by gregoryindiana
Seems to me that those Movits I saw discussed here a while back start to look affordable when the OE replacements cost this much. And apparently much better braking with better longevity. The only problem is that there is no US distributor for Movit, at least not that I can find.

You're right, Movits are better brakes than the OEM RS 6 brakes for sure (The Ring Taxi at the Nurburgring uses them). But why the suprise on the price of OEM. OEM has always been high priced for what you get. Just look at radios for example. A face unit for a Honda (let alone an Audi) runs upwards of $1000.00! Do you know what kind of kick butt aftermarket head unit you can get for that price?!? Same with brakes, windshields (speaking of windshield, my brother needed a new one for his 06' GS430, OEM was $950.00 "aftermarket" [same company that makes the OEM] was $450.00!!!), etc...

SoCal
December 21st, 2005, 06:24
s42ski:

I also have an RS6 in LA's stop-and-go traffic (daily driver for the most part) and haven't had much problem with brake squeal. That said, on other cars where I've upgraded to harder street/track pads I've had noise issues. Could be glazing on the rotors from the pads due to combination of wear/dust/heat.

It the spray doesn't work, Pacific takes pretty good care of my Beast, so call them up and see if there is anything else they can do. Probably won't change the pads out just for noise unless worn or defective, but "howling" sounds more serious.

Do you know what the wear is on your pads? Many dealers used to be happy to change out pads under warranty even if not totally shot, but now (I guess due to AoA audits) they try to wait until you are down past where the sensor says it's time, just to be sure to get factory warranty reimbursement. You can always pay for new pads and see what happens, either OEM. Racing pads, like Pagid, even if the street use (cooler op temp) type, probably won't help reduce squeal or brake dust much, sorry to say. And do check the rotors for scratching or other problems.

Good luck.

s42ski
December 21st, 2005, 15:33
Socal, the last trip to Pacific they replaced my front pads as they were down to 5 mm which is the limit. The warning light had not gone off yet. The new pads are just as bad so far with regards to noise, they did not resurface the front rotors which in my distant past ( I worked as a mechanic) was the norm. I am hoping that with break in the noise will get tolerable. I am going to Mammoth over the Christmas break so that will put about 700 miles on the car ( mostly highway). IF the noise is still in place on my return then back to Pacific !

I think someone mentioned WD 40 as a cure, that would probably work, at least for one stop !

BTW - My beast is Blue as well, not many of them around

Qisha
December 21st, 2005, 18:38
Recommended Break-In Process: New Break Set Up (Rotors&Pads)

When breaking-in Rotors and Pads you are heatcycling these parts. Also, a layer of Pad material is deposited onto the Rotors Surface. This is essential and fundamental for a properly working Brake System. If not bedded-in properly, an uneven layer of Pad Material is deposited onto the Rotor Surface causing a vibrating Steering Wheel, pulsating Brake Pedal and/or Brake Squeal. Nearly any Feeling of a "warped Rotor" is caused by uneven Pad deposition. A new Brake Set Up must be bedded-in for 300-600 mls. To attach the Pad to the Rotors you should perform a Series of 10-15 Stops from 50-60 mph to 12 mph with light Pedal Pressure. The exact Speed is not important. As soon as you get again to approx. 60 mph, begin the breaking cycle. As you approach 12 mph do not keep your Eyes on the Speedometer but start the cycle again. Do not come to a complete Stop during this cycles since Pad Material would be imprinted onto the Rotor Surface which will cause Vibrations later. After the 7th or 8th Stop, there might be a light Smoke coming out of the Rotors. This is normal and will not affect the bedding-in Result in any kind. Also, a distinct Smell may occure after several Stops. After the 8th or 9th Stop, there may be a light fading which is normal and will go away once the Brakes have cooled down completely. After the bedding-in Proceedure, the Rotor should have a light gray Surface. If Race Pads are used, add 4-5 Stops from 80-12 mph with light to middle Pedal Pressure. After this first Break-In Cycle, the Brake Set Up still does not operate with at its full Capacity. The Brake Pad is attached to maybe 20% to the Rotors Surface. Two or three more Cycles are needed to get the Brakes working at a Minimum of their real Capacity. There may still be Marks of the machining visible on the Rotors Surface. These will go away after the first 300-600 mls. As soon as you dont see these Marks anymore and the Rotor Surface is smooth with the same Color all over, you will have full Heat transfer and braking Power of your Brake Set Up. Always make sure to cool the Brakes down completely between each Cycle. A Cycle is a Series of Stops to break-in the Rotors and Pads. The more Patience you have and the longer you will break-in the Rotors and Pads, the better the Result will be. During the breaking-in of the Break Set Up, hard Stops from high Speeds should be avoided. Rotors and Pads may be damaged doing this. Breaking-in of the Pads should not be done in Wet conditions.

This is what should give the best Results for not more than the "normal" noise a Performance Break Set Up is supposed to produce.

Aronis
December 21st, 2005, 18:48
excellent.....sounds like one day commute into Boston....LOL 60 down to 12.....repeatedly...thank God I don't do that any more...LOL

Mike

Hy Octane
December 22nd, 2005, 00:13
If I do that many stops from 80 mph with these brakes and pads, they will be 50% worn..

Aronis
December 22nd, 2005, 17:25
If I do that many stops from 80 mph with these brakes and pads, they will be 50% worn..

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaa

True....

:hahahehe: :doh: :cry:

Aronis
December 28th, 2005, 19:32
three weeks with new brakes and they still squeal.....load......no time to do that high speed brake in thing....LOL....perhaps tomorrow...

Mike

the squeal but they work very well LOL

:dance:

gjg
December 28th, 2005, 21:30

They all squeal..

put 46k km on front pads, no squeal, 5k km after replacement, no squeal.

Our other rs6 which is 6 month older squealed like hell on first set of pads (started right after about 7k km), second set ok, no problem.

Could that be different material?

Just for illustration, one stealer price for set of front pads quoted $680 including 19% VAT (WITH POKER FACE "SIR, THESE ARE VERY GOOD BRAKES FOR SUCH EXPENSIVE VEHICLE), another one $$387 with 19% VAT, no bullshit ....

I'd say this is international ripoff ..... :doh:

s42ski
December 31st, 2005, 04:32
Fascinating - I took the car back to Pacific after about 1000 miles of high speed ( for US) driving.

Squeak was still with me - this time in they replaced the front rotors ( last time they just replaced the pads and did not resurface them)

Service said the rotors were now at spec value - according to service

Rotors $650 each front
Pads $ 480 front

ott
December 31st, 2005, 11:44
I just paid appr. $ 375 (incl. 18% VAT) for set of front pads and they still squeal some when stopping from very low speeds.

Aronis
December 31st, 2005, 16:18
my brake squealing is getting worse.

I looked at the brake pads, they seem seated well.

I did some high speed stopping on snow/ice and the car stops Straight As An Arrow, so the four brakes are working properly just noisily.

The sqeal is loader than my Enhansed Exhaust Growl.

LOL - or not perhaps.

Mike

Benman
January 2nd, 2006, 15:10

The sqeal is loader than my Enhansed Exhaust Growl.

LOL - or not perhaps.

Mike
:D Yeah, that first set of pads on my car were pretty bad. Every time I got home, the wife was telling me about how many people were looking at the car every time she'd park and those babies would squeeeeeeeeel to a halt. :blush:

I told her, "ah, they're just jealous". :thumb: But it did sound like a 83' Ford Piece O Dump that badly needely a brake job!