in cooperation with rs6.com and sportbil.se

http://www.bmwm5.com/knapp.jpg

http://www.bmwm5.com/articles/rs6/rs6.html

A fast and dirty writup :alig:

but we will have more. A LOT more. :bunny2:

:hihi: :race: :cool2:

avdh
February 28th, 2003, 13:57
I have to question the validity of such a road test.
To begin with the M3 had an aftermarket exhaust system, thus it was not standard.
Somewhere in the article it is written that the M5 used for this could do in excess of 280 km/h, that again does not look like factory standard stuff to me.
Lastly, nobody bothered to mention the mileage of the cars. I would not be surprised that both the M5 and the M3 have more kilometres than the RS6 and from experience, the more K's on the clock the better the performance. In fact anything below 10.000 km will not reflect the true performance of the car.

Erik
February 28th, 2003, 14:07
RS6.com is working on our writeup as well. :)
Our photos are being developed and scanned.
I hope to talk again to all the owners to get more data about mileage etc.

To answer your question the M5 had a Kellners sport exhaust fitted and the speed limiter was removed. Other than that stock.
It had a very nice sound!
The owner of this M5 has some bad experience with his previous engine blowing up, then the car got stolen, so this car is not chipped.

The M3 also has Kellners sport exhaust and used to be chipped + different cams but not any longer. I think it has some 70000 km on the clock.

I just saw a draft of a 0 - 250 km/h video with RS6 and it has about hard 30000 km on the clock.

The RS6 is a killer at the red light. Rolling start, just floor it but expect a draw. Very high speed M5 would probably win by a little. Top speed, RS6 wins.

avdh
February 28th, 2003, 14:17
30.000 km for the RS6? Does the owner lives 24/7 in the car? :)
It took me 1 1/2 year to do 30.000 km with my S6, how can someone do so many klicks in less than 6 months? (and have a life outside the car! :))
Since the beemers had some tuning (exhausts) which can easely give 15 to 20 bhp extra performance (if well designed), then the comparison is actually not a fair test.

Erik
February 28th, 2003, 14:56
We didn't do this with the main purpose of everything being 'fair' test. It is hard anyway to get hold of these cars for one day at the same location. Also this was the first time we ever did something like this. Call us happy amateurs!

I think everyone will get their share of fun watching and everyone can draw their own conclusions about the performance of these cars. The RS6 is amazing but so are all the other cars in this 'test' in their own special way!

The 500 bhp RS4 vs. the almost stock M3 isn't fair either, but everybody was still happy when the day was over. Except me who was driving my 2.7T left long behind... ;)

Benman
February 28th, 2003, 15:34
looks like you guys had yourselves an awesome time:D

i can hardly wait till the full test is posted:D

:addict:

Erik
February 28th, 2003, 15:42
More notes on the 'fairness.'
The RS4 had 19" summer tyres which is illegal during 'winter conditions.'
I guess 18" would improve the result even more, but hey what would life be without bent rims. Credits to Audi for fixing that problem btw, unfortunately not in time for this event.

The M3 had winter tyres and it was only about max 5C in the air, i.e. too cold to ever get a good start.

With the RS6 vs. the M5 we have both standing and rolling starts.
They're both running on winter tyres, no studs.

Edit: We smoked the clutch on the RS4 as well...it's only a some 1000 dollars to fix... :hihi:

Gustav
March 1st, 2003, 01:53
Erik, nice post and I agree with you. Have you heard anything about the video form Bosse?

We have a video when I'm in the RS6 chasing the M3 up too 220 km/h :bang: I think that will be nice.

Also the other videos that wasfilmed were very proffessinal done with micsfor the exhausts etc.

But overall I'm impressed with the RS6. W e did a fast timing to 0-200 km/h = 16,9 s. :cheers:

Erik
March 1st, 2003, 09:43
I'm getting all the DV-tapes next week.

I've seen a short clip of a 0 - 250 km/h run with the camera only on the speedo. Amazing... :cool2:

J.Seven
March 6th, 2003, 23:49
Jezzzzz, you are killing me with all this posts. What a great day must have been. Waiting for the full tests results...

J.Seven