PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Quattro vs. E60 M5

Wang
December 8th, 2005, 19:35
Three differences right off the bat. Aside from power differences, where the M5 really distinguishes itself is the tranny, its more befitting of a car of this power. The suspension is also noticeably more compliant at the limit. Where the RS6 still has the overwhelming advantage is the Quattro, nice and stable and able to keep an average driver safe, where a rear drive would be at wipeout state.

Pick your weapon, the RS6 is more rare, the M5 is more refined but common, relatively speaking.

rks838
December 10th, 2005, 00:15
Just curious - what is the M5 a "stepping stone" to?!

Wang
December 10th, 2005, 01:06
there's always something better coming up

SpinEcho
December 10th, 2005, 04:06
It's interesting to read your observation on the suspension. A lot of the European reviewers have commented on the E60 M5's excellent compliance. This is one area Audi continues to have a problem - their cars ride like they have rocks in the suspension!

I'm curious what you have to say about power and torque - do you find the M5 softer than the RS6 from low revs and quite a bit faster when wound out?

Can't say I'm in the majority on this board when it comes to the RS6 transmission. I think an automatic completely suits a heavy, large, torque-laden car like this. The E60 M5, on the other hand, needs more revving, and a manual seems better (put a clutch pedal in mine, please)...

Mr Kram
December 13th, 2005, 00:20
Wang,

I see you switched back to the Bimmer camp. I'll have to check that car out one of these days. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

Mark

Wang
December 18th, 2005, 04:56
HI Mark, I hope you are enjoying your RS, the best Audi there is. I switched because I was tempted by the advancement of engine and transmission technology and the things that Bimmers are known for, a very tight build and appearance, the ergonomics are slightly more sacrificed for square lines in a Bimmer, its more of a machine like feel, the Ultimate Driving Machine, right? : ).
As much as I despise the dealer treatment of both makes, its hard to not be tempted by machines that possess such a high level of passion towards performance and refinement. This M5, even, will not be my last big purchase, I'm afraid
:rolleyes:

Will we see you again in next year's M5 SoCal meet???

Mr Kram
December 22nd, 2005, 01:19
Wang,

When is the next M5 meet? I haven't followed that board too much. In fact I haven't followed any of the boards lately. I'd love to come, but we're expecting a new born in March so Janet would most likely miss the party. When you guys lock down a date, tell John to send me an email.

Like you, some new purchases may be on the horizon, but I haven't decided yet. Maybe I'll have a new toy by then.

Mark

Wang
December 22nd, 2005, 06:20
Congrats, Mark, on the little one on the way. Weather will be unpredictable in Jan through Mar so we may have to postpone till april. I will pose the idea on the forum for Jan/Feb. School is out by mid Feb for me so it gives me a little breathing space.

time will tell.

Only 200 miles on my M so I am at least a month out till 3K break in is complete, and to be safer, I should extend breaking even further...

Best regards, hope you are enjoying your RS, is is a great car, and rare indeed. The amount of M5 now in the states almost equals the amount of all the RS6 in the US and the M5 is only getting started (3 months since they first hit shore)