PDA

View Full Version : rs6 in snow

AMG EATR
December 8th, 2005, 00:37
How does your rs6 run in the winter/snow and do you put different tires on? My rs6 is horrible on snow and i my guess its all the power and the factory performance tires. What are some good all season tires that would not completely comprise performance and would be good in both summer and winter? Thanks for the help guys.

Dan

rks838
December 8th, 2005, 01:00
My RS6 doesn't do as well as I'd hope in the snow, and I'm almost positive it's the tires. Some U.S. magazine recently praised Blizzaks for having great grip in the dry as well as great traction in the snow.

Speedou
December 8th, 2005, 01:01
WTF? You have to have tires for winter and summer? :eek: You can't say you don't have money to buy after RS6???

AMG EATR
December 8th, 2005, 01:08
Originally posted by Speedou
WTF? You have to have tires for winter and summer? :eek: You can't say you don't have money to buy after RS6???

I just do not like to deal with hassle of storing tires and changing them every year. I would rather just leave on set on that is okay in both summer and winter. I do not do any serious cornering or driving on the street so 100% performance tires are not necessary. Money is not the issue here obviously.

newmarketnow
December 8th, 2005, 01:33
Fair question.
Changing and/or storing tires is a pain.
A decent tire for performance but with some security in Winter is nice if your not interested in changing tires OR, not transfixed into the best performance in all seasons but want a good balance and convenience of a single set.
I have some version of Michelin Pilots on a '91 200 which seem to do well in all conditions for what the car is meant for - to me. I picked them from the Tire Rack website and their rating scheme - I don't know how subjective it might be but once again, I have not been dissapointed as they were rated very high for Winter.
I have the top end Pilots on another car and the website indicated that the Winter rating is - NA. They're right, the car can't move (I mean at all) on a 1/2" of snow.
I might try their website and ratings unless, you get some better first hand experience here.
JP

NWRS6
December 8th, 2005, 02:19
You can run your stock sizes 255/40 18:

1. Michelin Pilot A/S

Ran them on my 996 Turbo - they were fine in light snow, and decent in dry and wet.

2. Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S

Ran them on my SL55. They were OK in light snow, and quite good in dry and wet.

For the RS6, I run Dunlop Winter M3's and they are awesome in the snow, and very good in dry and wet compared to the stock Dunlop 9000s.

Cheers

nene
December 8th, 2005, 02:43
If you live where there's snow, at least 1 month of the year, and you plan on running your RS6 on the white stuff, you have to get All Season tires or at the very least dedicated Winter setup.

I have Dunlop WinterSport M3s for the Winter on the stock rims.
I run Michelin Pilot Sport II from end of April unti beginning of October. Without a Winter setup, you are asking for trouble.
I run 255x40x18 WinterSport M3s.

SpinEcho
December 8th, 2005, 04:13
You are in Chicago? Please get snow tires. It has nothing to do with performance driving and everything to do with safety. The phrase "all-season tire" is an oxymoron. Sorry to sound harsh, but if you're driving an RS6, surely you must understand this...

Dunlop M3's are pretty decent. Ideally your snows should be narrower than summers - 225 better than 255.

The RS understeers like a pig in snow, but this is easily solved with even small applications of throttle - instant oversteer!

eazy
December 8th, 2005, 08:24
Why don't you bring your car to an garage and let the tires mount by mechanics?
In Germany you pay about 10€ for this.
Maybe they'll do it for free.

AMG EATR
December 8th, 2005, 13:42
Originally posted by eazy
Why don't you bring your car to an garage and let the tires mount by mechanics?
In Germany you pay about 10€ for this.
Maybe they'll do it for free.

Wow, thats nuts!! In chicago at least, the cheapest is about $125 to mount 4 tires. Maybe this is just my area or the low profile tires. In fact, my dealer would probably charge 200.

I thought the rs6 would be fine in the snow because both my M5 and 745 are okay in the snow with stock tires so i figured rs6 would be but i guess tires are different. Anyways, I will probably just get a dedicated set of winter tires or maybe all season depending on when guy at tirerack says. Who is a good contact at tirerack for the rs6?

s42ski
December 8th, 2005, 15:04
Interesting thread, I live in So Cal so snow is not a problem, but I take 3-5 trips to ski resorts and they require either 4 wheel snow tires or chains. Last year I bought a set of Spikes Spiders snow chains and used them several time. Installed on the rear tires I have excellent results in snow and ice. I was moving well with large SUV's were struggling - I have been debating a 4 wheel snow tire set up, but I am concerned about tire life if I left the snows on during the warm winter days we get in LAjavascript:smilie(':D')
big grin

eazy
December 8th, 2005, 15:16
Originally posted by AMG EATR
Wow, thats nuts!! In chicago at least, the cheapest is about $125 to mount 4 tires. Maybe this is just my area or the low profile tires. In fact, my dealer would probably charge 200.:eek:
Damn i think i want to be an mechanic in chicago.
Only changing tires all the day.
125$ for 4 tires. 8 tires an hour. 8 hours an day. Thats 2000$ a day. And about 500k a year.

Yes i found my next job :D

LIRS6
December 8th, 2005, 16:50
Last year thru Tire Rack I purchased Dunlop Wintersport M3's mounted on AT Italia S5's. Drove the car up to Vermont for skiing in snowy conditions, as well as driving daily to/from work in many snowstorms. Car handled beautifully - the only issue was the low ground clearance which would make it difficult above, say, 6 - 8 inches of snow. The recommended tire size (per Audi as well as Tire Rack) is 225/45/18's - theory is that you want a narrower tire to avoid a plowing effect. I would strongly suggest investing in snows.

gjg
December 8th, 2005, 21:01
Nene is right - you will have snow in Chicago and there is no good all season tire for rs6 ....

I also have Dunlop WinterSport M3s for the Winter on bbs rims and, as Nene, same sized 255x40x18.

I run Dunlop Sp9000 (19" stock) from beginnig of April until mid-November (depending on weather). When s**t gets deep, I'll take management's Jeep. .:D

Without a Winter setup in your area, you are asking for trouble.
:thumb:

AMG EATR
December 8th, 2005, 21:10
"In 255/40ZR18 I would run the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season."

Emailed tirerack and they say get Michelin Pilot Sport All Season for 261/tire, which is expensive. Would these be reasonable in snow or should i just go with snow tires?

GoFastKindaGuy
December 8th, 2005, 23:47
For the RS6, I also run Dunlop Winter M3's in 225/45-18 on stock 9-spoke wheels.

For RS6 tire needs, I call Neal at Tire Rack: 888-981-3953 x624.

Swapping winter to summer or back is about $30 at the local tire shop here in rural Wisconsin. :mech:

gregoryindiana
December 9th, 2005, 01:05
Originally posted by gjg
Nene is right - you will have snow in Chicago and there is no good all season tire for rs6 ....

Without a Winter setup in your area, you are asking for trouble.
:thumb:

In Indiana, we get plenty of COLD weather, and occasional heavy snow that can last on the pavment for 10 days, turning to ice as it gets packed down, and sometimes it rains and freezes, then snows on top.

All reasons to have snow tires. The high perf tires are stiff at these temps, not designed for the job. Not to mention no siping to grip into snow.

As I have just gotten my Abt summer wheels, I wlll get my summer tires next spring on my 19 inch wheels.

In the meantime, the RS6 is parked on the stock wheels with the stocl summer tires. and the old V8 on Blizzaks, or the A6 4.2 on winter SnowSports take the job. The occasional warm spell in winter is enough to get the RS6 out to warm up and circulate the fluids. About a 24 mile circuit I have laid out on back roads for warmup, and interstate to finish at speed, then home.

Tonight it is snowing heavily, so I am glad I made that circuit last night.

JP4
December 9th, 2005, 02:21
"In 255/40ZR18 I would run the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season."

Emailed tirerack and they say get Michelin Pilot Sport All Season for 261/tire, which is expensive. Would these be reasonable in snow or should i just go with snow tires?

IMHO you're still compromising to much for the Chicago area. I would go with the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's or Blizzak's in the 225/45/18 fitment. Tires and wheels should be cheaper too. That's a win/win as far as I'm concerned. Especially if your beast is your everyday driver.

JP4:addict:

JAXRS6
December 9th, 2005, 05:56
I've been very satisfied going thru Luke@tirerack.com for my RS6, plus prior S4 and A4. Having lived in suburban Chicago for five years, I would definitely recommend winter tires over so-called all-seasons, especially with the early start to this winter.

AMG EATR
December 9th, 2005, 14:47
Guys thanks for all the help. All of u know tires well. Ordered the Dunlop Winter Sport M3, seems like the best tire for my needs. thanx again!! by the way, we just got 6 inches of snow in chicago.

eph94
December 9th, 2005, 15:29
Guys thanks for all the help. All of u know tires well. Ordered the Dunlop Winter Sport M3, seems like the best tire for my needs. thanx again!! by the way, we just got 6 inches of snow in chicago.

Good choice, especially if the majority of your driving will be on plowed and bare pavement. On the deep packed stuff, I've learned at our local ACNA Winter Driving schools that performance snows (such as our beloved Wintersport M3s) definitely give up a lot of snow traction to be stellar performers on dry winter tarmac. Nevertheless, I still made it up the off-camber icy uphill turn that other Audis with all-season tires (or other RWD/FWD cars w/ snow tires) could not. Sure, I did it with a little bit more drama, but it made it!

(No doubt the 4200 lbs was working against me too; it feels like ages to get the weight to transfer in the RS6 versus the lighter cars. I wish all winter SUV drivers understood this concept!!)

:thumb: on the Wintersports.

JP4
December 10th, 2005, 04:21

What size tire and what wheel did you end up going with. Inquiring minds want to know! :snow:

AMG EATR
December 10th, 2005, 13:29
I am using stock wheels for my winter setup, bbs maybe in summer with ps2. I wanted factory size so 255/40 18 I believe.:addict:

AMG EATR
December 10th, 2005, 13:33
sorry 255/45 18 or whatever oe tire is. Hopefully this is not to wide, but i dont like small looking tires. I think this should be plenty of grip for snow, if its really bad out i have a suv.

JP4
December 10th, 2005, 17:35
sorry 255/45 18 or whatever oe tire is. Hopefully this is not to wide, but i dont like small looking tires. I think this should be plenty of grip for snow, if its really bad out i have a suv.

Keep us posted on your impressions of your new winter setup. :snow:

LIRS6
December 14th, 2005, 16:12

Fwiw my 225's do not look small to me - maybe it's the dominant (winter) tread that gives them a larger/wider appearance to my eye.

nospeedlimit
December 14th, 2005, 22:16
Originally posted by Speedou
Gotta agree Speedou! I have separate summer and winter tires... I don't like compromising performance/quality in either season.

newmarketnow
December 16th, 2005, 11:56
Thanks AMG EATR for starting this timely thread - for me.
My RS6 is on it's way to me via enclosed trailer fitted with pzero's.
I am having it dropped shipped directly to the shop to have snow's placed immediately on it and ordered Dunlop Wintersport M3's last night to be simultaneously drop shipped and ready to go. Reading this thread, I was leaning heavily toward the 225's for added safety during the season.
FYI - Luke at tirerack talked me into the 255's indicating several reasons including increased loading requirement for 225's, aesthetic's (the word silly was used) and most notably, "...unless you're a ski instructor in Colorado that needs to be at the slopes at 6:00 AM before the plows, the 255's are all you need." His strong recommendation was made knowing that we get 100 inches a year here and the car will be driven into Eastern ski country and to the slopes. And so, 255's it is/was.
Luke was also higher on the M3's than Blizzaks (sold out anyway) stating that although the Blizzaks are a bit better in the snow, the M3's are better in plain wet or dry conditions.
Lastly, the tech's/sales people at tirerack to get a commission on sales (I trust that did not affect the recommendation) and so, if you're pleased with the service, call in the order rather than the point and click.
JP

Luke@tirerack
December 16th, 2005, 14:15
nice talking to you yesterday .... and your tires are shipping out today :thumb:

LIRS6
December 16th, 2005, 17:25
FYI - Luke at tirerack talked me into the 255's indicating several reasons including increased loading requirement for 225's, aesthetic's (the word silly was used) and most notably, "...unless you're a ski instructor in Colorado that needs to be at the slopes at 6:00 AM before the plows, the 255's are all you need."

Interesting, given that another saleman at Tire Rack steered me to the 225's (which I am very happy with).

Aronis
December 16th, 2005, 21:56
I had my snows in the garage before the RS6 was even delivered to me.

I got

4 255/40VR-18 Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport In Stock $213.00
1 Pirelli tire regist card rtl In Stock N/C
1 Tire warranty packet In Stock N/C
4 18x7.5 5-112 et20 cb57 ati s5 In Stock $239.00
4 AT Italia center cap In Stock N/C
4 Mount and balance - no charge $.00

Order Total Including Shipping: $1,885.77

Dedicated snow/ice tires are a must for me as I only want to have once car (hate SUV's wife has Tribeca....yuck in snow).

Also since the Summer Tires get eaten up quickly, I put less than 18000 miles on my first set) you end up saving money in the long run.

The $1900 spent on snows saves two sets of summer tires over a 4 year period, and the winter tires will probably be good for four times the milage of the summer tires, so far I have about 12000 to 15000 miles on them and they are still hardly worn.

I have considers all seasons to replace my summer tires this spring, since the handling is 'ok' with the snows....how bad could the all seasons be, and they would be much more quiet than the summer high performance tires, cheaper and last longer......I'll decide come March.

Mike