PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Monday

RCV3
February 26th, 2003, 19:25
I have been lurking here for several months and finally have a good reason to join and post. Many thanks for the information to this point.

My dealer in CT just informed me that I need to place my order in the next several days for a September build and October/November delivery. I have the option list someone posted here a few weeks ago and don't see much that I want. My plan is to order Daytona Gray with black interior.

Are there any options that you think are critical to have for enjoyment and/or resale if for some reason I decide to sell the car after a few months to a year - a malady I often suffer from.

I am thinking that I should get the nav even though I will never use it as many people expect it in any car they buy. I see no reason to get the warm weather package as I won't be leaving the car outside much if at all and fear sunshades are simply something that will rattle. The enhanced exhaust package apparently is only a sound issue not a performance issue and so I will likely pass on that as well. Rear airbags are nice but don't seem critical to me as I rarely have people riding with me. The carbon fiber dash is not to my taste but I intend to ask if I can get dark wood vs. the gray poplar (if anyone has tried this with success I would be interested hearing how they got it done).

I welcome any and all opinions. Thanks.
:incar:

Speedracer
February 27th, 2003, 01:57
My thoughts and colors are much the same as yours Grey w/ Black. My thoughts on the Nav, rear bags, carbon fiber vs wood and warm weather are exactly the same. I like the way the black exhaust tips look, but I am still waiting on options prices. I'm guessing you ordered from Pray. What number are you? I am in Westchester County and my # 5 is supposed to arrive in August or September.

Benman
February 27th, 2003, 02:19
RCV3,

the colors i choose are much the same as well. as far as options
i chose most of them because those are the options that i want
to have as i plan to have the RS6 for some time.

i don't think that certain options will make a big difference on
the resale when you go to sell the car. in the end you'll end up
paying $4,000.00-$6000.00 on options only to squeak out an
extra $1,000.00-$2000.00 from the potential buyer. either way
good luck:cheers:

:addict:

RCV3
February 27th, 2003, 17:01
Speedracer

I am ordering through Pray - now New Country. I believe I am number 7 and they are expecting 2 cars per month.

As Benman says, ordering options with an eye to resale may be silly. Particularly in the case of Pcars, you can easily over spend on them and never get the value back. However, with the RS6 there seem to be so few options ...

My primary issue at the moment is the nav. I don't use these systems at all (came standard in my M5 and I never used it once). I agree that the aftermarket systems are better but also think a lot of people are hesitant to rip apart their cars to install such systems from scratch and would prefer to have the OEM system and either live with it or upgrade it without having to open the dash. I will have to see what the pricing is on Monday and also find out what the last day will be to change my choices as more information comes out.

Benman
February 27th, 2003, 18:23
RCV3,

it would be appreciated if you post the prices when you find
out for info please.:cheers:

RCV3
March 4th, 2003, 16:03
I went to the dealer yesterday to up my deposit and place my order. I was promised that there would be samples of the Daytona Grey and the poplar wood to look at but there were not - but I ordered the combo anyway. Also the dealer had essentially no information on pricing of options to share. Sorry Benman. However, he did steer me away from both the nav (I didn't want it anyway) and the CF interior. Since I had no interest in the warm weather package and I believe the exhaust option is essentially a paint job as far as I can tell (possible sound improvement but without performance gain) I ordered a totally base car. This is a first for me - I hope I do not regret it.

As for why the dealer didn't like the nav or CF, he seemed to feel the nav system was not up to date and the CF interior was a bit boyracerish (sorry to those who like it) for this car. In the end he may have simply been reading my negativity on these options and so have tailored his pitch to me - preaching to the choir as they say. Either way, I cannot wait for October.

Benman
March 4th, 2003, 16:38
thank you RCV3

unfortunately the same story happened to myself. "we'll have
the samples for you to choose from when you come in." then
when i got there did they have the samples? nope.

it definately makes it harder to choose your options when your
not sure what they look like. as far as the options go you
simply CAN'T go wrong with what you choose for this car. it is
fantastic no matter what options you have:cheers:
ben
BIG RS6 NUT

jconley
March 4th, 2003, 16:52
There *is* a US brochure- My dealer had one, and it did have samples..

I too ordered a "base" car, but remember it is still a loaded with features...

Speedracer
March 4th, 2003, 16:55
Dealer told me grey poplar is same as in S4, which he showed me. It really sucked! Doesn't even look like wood! I agree that carbon is "Boy racer", but it looks mych better than the wood.

GoFastKindaGuy
March 4th, 2003, 20:22
Interior trim is purely personal taste. I have an A6 4.2: silver with polished walnut over onyx black - looks great. I have an S6 Avant: Atlas Gray with gray birch over ebony -- looks great. I once had an Pearl White S4 with carbon over onyx -- looked great. Every interior Audi does -- at least for the US -- is tasteful. I ordered carbon for my RS only because it sets the interior apart from the A and S models.

Somewhere I saw a photo of an RS6 with silver leather and carbon. Wow, that hit my buttons and I ordered the combo:silver/silver/CF.

Talk boy racer? My Honda S2000 has no carbon -- just plastic, cheezy carpet and cheap leather seats -- looks like crap. Absolutely tasteless; beautifully engineered.

Benman
March 4th, 2003, 21:37
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
Interior trim is purely personal taste. Every interior Audi does -- at least for the US -- is tasteful. I ordered carbon for my RS only because it sets the interior apart from the A and S models.

Somewhere I saw a photo of an RS6 with silver leather and carbon. Wow, that hit my buttons and I ordered the combo:silver/silver/CF.

Talk boy racer? My Honda S2000 has no carbon -- just plastic, cheezy carpet and cheap leather seats -- looks like crap. Absolutely tasteless; beautifully engineered.

my feelings exactly. i only wish i could order mine with the silver
interior as well but my daughter is not even 3 years old and i'm
not confident in my wife's ability to keep food and drinks out of
her cute little hands:cheers:
ben
BIG RS6 NUT

GoFastKindaGuy
March 4th, 2003, 23:34
The darker interiors clean up much better. Smart decision with a soon-to-be 3 year old!

Although we don't have kids, my S6 Avant has a rear facing child seat -- never thought to ask. I bought it from afar, sight unseen (before I picked it up). I asked the salesman, "What is that?" "Child seat!" he said. "I refuse to fill it up," I said. "I have an RS6 on order; Gotta be able to pay for it.":roll:

avdh
March 5th, 2003, 05:48
You car may be built more or less at the same time as mine, as delivery for South Africa is planned for November.
Eventually I think I will choose for Daytona Grey with the Silver (off white) interior and the poplar wood.
Other colours that I am still considering are Red, Sprint Blue (see thread on this forum with pics) and , but I don't think it is possible for SA, the Lambo Murcielago yellow metallic.
One thing I do not want is the TV/Navigation, because in SA it is useless and also I think it damages the asthetics of the centre console.
I think I'll be going for the 18" wheels, for asthetical reasons, as well as too many potholes on some of our roads.

Mal
March 5th, 2003, 10:24
My car is in Black leather with Carbon Fibre and everyone who has seen it thinks its real quality.

The exterior is red. I had real doubts when I picked it but it looks great but is not subtle in any way! I will try and post some pics in the next few days.

peterb
March 5th, 2003, 15:02
avdh - it sounds as though you'll end up with a similar colour scheme to my car. I've ordered the Avant in Daytona with silver interior (alcantara centre panels on seats), poplar and 18 inch wheels. The big difference is that I should get my car long before you see yours - I anticipate delivery in May. :D

I'll be happy with the Nav+ system (standard in the UK, although you can choose to omit it - at no extra cost!). I have the standard nav in my A6 and there are occasions when it would be useful to be able to see the map.

Benman
March 5th, 2003, 15:25
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
[B]The darker interiors clean up much better. Smart decision with a soon-to-be 3 year old!

to be honest the silver interior is a little better in appearance
but then you gotta do what you gotta do. for all us stateside guys
just a few more months (it's going to be a tough wait!)

ben
BIG RS6 NUT

dabull
March 9th, 2003, 00:09
I ordered the Ebony Pearl with the Ebony interior with Popular. My dealer also has a single 4 page brochure. I bought a German hardback brochure for the RS6 on Ebay. I can't read it but the pictures and illustrations a self explainatory. My understanding is that 19 inch wheels will not be offered in the US probably due to the trails that we call highways. I did go with the enhanced exhaust because one of the few disappointments I have with my current A6 4.2 is I cannot hear the engine. Never have I spent half as much with twice as much information. Audi could certainly make some improvements in their marketing department. I am number one but my salesman is quoting a late June or July delivery, does that sound right to the rest of you?

Benman
March 10th, 2003, 15:50
bull,

you are right about the options and the delivery time your
dealer is giving you sounds spot on :cheers:

ben

noushy
March 11th, 2003, 20:39
Hello,
I am not sure if this helps, but here goes. The navigation in the US is alright, at first it takes time to get used to the mainly text screen in the dash. Once you use it however, it works very well. Get it if you are often travelling to areas you are not familiar with, it helps. The carbon fiber trim is nice, and distinctive, but a personal choice. The exhaust is more than just black tips, it is slighter louder, a special Quattro GMBH part, read about it on s-cars.org. I ordered the mugello blue with silver/carbon fiber, no rear airbags (for kids), no warm package, yes to navigation. Otherwise the car comes well equipped as is. I have a brilliant black S6 avant with the nappa black, beautiful interior. Email if you have questions.

Benman
March 11th, 2003, 21:38
noushy,

sounds like a great combo:D
btw, wellcome to the forum:cheers:
ben
RS6 NUT

noushy
March 11th, 2003, 22:58
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Noushy;)