PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli PZero Blowout

CornersWell
November 25th, 2005, 21:05
Well, today at about 7am, on my way to a breakfast, the left rear PZero blew out on the RS6 while I was on the highway doing about 65mph. After a sweeping right hander, the steering had some vibration, and when I came out of the gas to slow down...Bang! I knew it the instant it blew. Got it slowed down and off to the side of the road. Looks like the inner sidewall failed. Possibly due to a depressurization and then the right hander (lateral g's would have pushed the tire in on the wheel with the rim of the wheel cutting the sidewall), but there is no tell tale puncure evidence in the tread. Tread was low (almost to the wear bar), but the car was serviced not 200 miles ago by the dealer and they sent me on my way. I have the tire and wheel and will have in analyzed (I'm a lawyer, btw), so I may be having a chat with Pirelli and the dealer's GM.

In addition to a new tire ($350), I've had paint damage (rear bumper cover, quater panel and rocker) and minor damage to the driver's rocker panel. Also, there is a small bend in the wheel (not enough to replace it, though). What a PITA! Not to mention that I missed my breakfast.

However, Audi Roadside Assistance provided towing to the nearest dealer in a reasonably timely manner. The dealer provided me with a rental and did me a favor by only charging a few dollars over cost for the tire. Still, I'm po'd about the paint work. Talk about sh!tty luck. It's now 4pm and I have a new tire and the car is back in the garage. What a fncked up day.

GoFastKindaGuy
November 26th, 2005, 01:23
Lucky you did not lose your breakfast. Any time you walk away from a blow out it is a good day IMHO. Good to see you brought it down safely!:thumb:

SoCal
November 26th, 2005, 05:30
Originally posted by CornersWell
Well, today at about 7am, on my way to a breakfast, the left rear PZero blew out on the RS6 while I was on the highway doing about 65mph.

Glad you weren't hurt. :360: Blowouts aren't fun. :MTM: Given your Pirelli experience, you might want to chime in on the "New tires" thread in this forum: http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7829&goto=newpost

Good luck.

rks838
November 28th, 2005, 03:51
Where were you traveling? Hopefully not the Beltway...a blowout there would be scary.

On the subject of P-Zero tire troubles, the "P-ZERO" labels on my tires are starting to peel off. I don't rub curbs or anything like that - does anyone have an explanation for this?

Benman
November 28th, 2005, 18:00
Corners Well, very sorry to hear about your troubles, especially on a long weekend with family. Glad though to hear no accident occured.

Ben:addict: