PDA

View Full Version : E60 M5 vs. stage II RS6

AMG EATR
November 24th, 2005, 01:17
Has anyone actually done this race? I know the new M5 is faster than a stock RS6 with the extra 50hp it has. Just wondering if an RS6 with only upgraded software will pull on the M5. It should be close considering M5 has 507hp while chipped RS6 should be around 500-520 depeding on exact chip, boost level, octane. Videos would be cool if there are any out there!

SpinEcho
November 24th, 2005, 02:40
It would be close, but I would still guess the M5 would win out at the top end. There would be less drivetrain and transmission parasitic power loss because of RWD and the manual gearbox. After all, this is one of the proposed explanations for why the E39 M5 equals or slightly outperforms the standard RS6 in a sprint over 200 km/h.

kyokomo
November 24th, 2005, 03:17
my rs6 is chipped with wetterauer, milltek cat back, bmc filter.

1. rs6 vs 996tt ---> 1/4 miles the same!! exactly same.
rolling at 60km/h and same to 210km/h and rs6 is faster at above speed.

2. rs6 vs e55amg ---> 1/4 rs6 is definitely faster from start.
rolling at 20km/h and e55 pulls about 3~4 cars but rs6 catches e55 at 180km/h and faster above speed.

3. rs6 vs e60 m5 ---> 1/4 rs6 is faster(but m5 maybe faster than e55) rolling at 20km/h and same to 200km/h, m5 is faster above speed to 320km/h, but cannot pull away!!

4. rs6 vs f430 ---> 1/4 same, rolling at any speed f430 is faster...

all the data is based on my test with my friends in South Korea.:rs6kiss: :addict: :0:

SpinEcho
November 24th, 2005, 03:35
What kind of power and torque are you making? I find it amazing that you can pull on an E55 - those things have pretty scary power to weight and torque to weight ratios even compared to most chipped RS6's...

kyokomo
November 24th, 2005, 04:00
my car made 431hp and 69kg at wheel. (temp : 20`c , humidity :23%)

my rs6 pushes to the speed of 330 km/h at analog speed tacho.:0: :thumb:

minimad
November 24th, 2005, 08:42
kyokomo, very good info, I am also wondering how modified RS6 compares to E60 M5. I have MTM stage III RS6 (535bhp) and got a chance to see one stranger's E60 M5 on the road. We both try to have some fun, unfortunately the road is to short/crowded to prove anyting, but we had like 150 meter run from the traffic light, he is one car in front of me and I put my trans to S mode (not even in Tip mode), I feel my car is really tight up nailing on his rear bumper, and I almost want to brake my car to prevent tailing him, so I believe my MTM stage III RS6 can kick his ass from the sprint.....:addict:

vspec2
November 25th, 2005, 05:21
i believe that the rs6 is actually lighter than a merc e55. think i saw this in a magazine(c&d i think). so therefore the power to weight ratio on a chipped rs6 would be better than a merc e55's.

vspec2
November 25th, 2005, 06:25
i believe that the rs6 is actually lighter than a merc e55. think i saw this in a magazine(c&d i think). so therefore the power to weight ratio on a chipped rs6 would be better than a merc e55's.

Aronis
November 25th, 2005, 13:04
These exchanges remind me of my early 'internet' days at BU when we sent text only messages over BITNET, as instant messages.

We would sit in Boston and chat with people in the middle east!!!!!

To hear from a guy living in South Korea who drives a Chipped Audi is just too cool. Not to forget all those guys in Europe and Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now when the day comes that we hear from a guy in NORTH Korea driving a chipped $85,000 car we can all be happier!

Mike

(sign of a health economy NO?)

Dark Knight
November 27th, 2005, 20:01
kyokomo

sounds like you're having fun driving against your friends.

however, I have a very hard time you keeping with a F430 in the 1/4 mile. I mean, stock a F430 is a sub 4-sec 0-60 car and in the 11s in the 1/4 mile . . . I haven't heard of a chipped RS6 (not even a heavily modded one) getting close to those numbers. I have a O.CT chipped RS6 putting out similar numbers to yours and I just couldn't see it hanging with a F430 -- when conditions and drivers are same.

sounds like you know how to drive that thing a little better than your buddies drive their machines. either way -- you're kickin' ass!

rks838
November 28th, 2005, 03:58
vspec2, that's right, the RS6's weight, at least in the Road and Track comparo, was below the E55's, but essentially the same - about 20lbs. less or so.

I like it that rs6.com has such a widespread audience...

vspec2
November 28th, 2005, 04:41
rks838,
we may weigh less than the merc e55 but as everyone knows our cars are very tempermental especially when the weather is hot so it would be very hard to actually accurately determine whether a chipped rs6 is faster than a merc e55.

M5 RUS
November 28th, 2005, 15:41
Sorry to disappoint you but We raced RS6 with ABT chip which has 500 HP in 1/4 with E39 M5 (cat removed around 420 HP)...

RS6 lost by 1 car, stock loses by 2-3 cars...

RS6 is only fast to 0-100...

Chipped RS4 420HP+ is faster then E39 M5 in 1/4...

Chiped RS6 stand not chance against E60 M5 or E55K...

Aronis
November 28th, 2005, 18:24
The newer super-cars should beat the older ones, no surprise there.

And the goal of the next RS6 or what ever will be to de-thrown the current M5!

Again, put the RS6 (mod or not) and the M5 (either version) on real roads with some snow or rain, and it's a different story - if you 'need' to race in such driving conditions.

I did not get an RS6 because it could beat the M5 back three years ago! I got it because the M5 was not available with all wheel drive which I must have since I drive ONE car year round, and boy does it snow here.

I love to see the competition, it's clean fun, and an M5 with allwheeldrive will be very very hard to beat in the future should they make it! Of course I was still waiting for the AWD M3 Convertible! Ya baby....but a 6 speed please.

Mike
:race:

M5 RUS
November 29th, 2005, 09:21
Quattro system is nice, especially in winter...

Very secure hanling...

You can have lots of fun, drifting like rally cars...used to have S8 and Allroad 2.7 T Chipped...

I wish 4wd wouldnt loose that much power at higher speeds...

and NEW RS4 would put out more horses, so it could be faster then current M5...

New S8 with 5.2 V10 is dissapointment as well, only 450HP... 0-100km (62miles) in 5.1...

I dont understand why Audi didnt pack more HP to make those S and RS fatser so they could compete with M5's or E55's...

NEW RS6 promised to have V10 and 550HP...that would be nice, but I doubt that it will beat E60 M5 after 200km mark...

SpinEcho
November 30th, 2005, 00:40
Having the raw numbers to beat one's chest about is great, and we all like to do this. But it's time to ask - how much power is enough? Even in the land of the autobahn, sensible opportunities to test a car's acceleration above 160 km/h must be getting fewer and fewer in number. The current trend is easy to like - bigger hp numbers seem great. But what about bigger vehicle weights, and bigger electronic nannies/guardians to save us from overwhelming the tires with all that grunt? Will we still be happy when it's a matter of routine that high-end sedans have 8 or 900 hp and weigh 5000 lbs.?

Qisha
November 30th, 2005, 15:26
I dont understand why Audi didnt pack more HP to make those S and RS fatser so they could compete with M5's or E55's...

In fact the S Series have not been build to compete with M or AMG Cars. Also the S Series are not a pure product of the quattro GmbH as you know. They fill the space between "Stock" and Pro Sport Cars, so called "Sport touched Cars".

But it's time to ask - how much power is enough?

True Words! :thumb:

New S8 with 5.2 V10 is dissapointment as well, only 450HP... 0-100km (62miles) in 5.1...

The car is understatement pure and is not designed for the "BMW,AMG,Porsche" Hunters. In my Eyes the total Package is what counts. The A8 itself is one lovely Car. Where else do you get AWD, Aluminium Frame, enough room for comfortable Travelling, all the top class goodies and last but not least a V10 FSI "Heart"?

And the goal of the next RS6 or what ever will be to de-thrown the current M5!

The concept strategy says: "...design a AWD Car that is able to burn rubber to the ground..."

To me the following RS Car will have a "Heart" that develops 650HP, 750 Nm between 1.750 and 5.800/min and a 40/60 front/rear torque split, DSG sequential shifting manual transmission... Bi-Turbo of course and V10 Design.

:0:

absent
November 30th, 2005, 15:46
Originally posted by Qisha

To me the following RS Car will have a "Heart" that develops 650HP, 750 Nm between 1.750 and 5.800/min and a 40/60 front/rear torque split, DSG sequential shifting manual transmission... Bi-Turbo of course and V10 Design.

:0: [/B]
Sounds like a wet dream to me.....

Hawk
November 30th, 2005, 21:49
Originally posted by M5 RUS
Sorry to disappoint you but We raced RS6 with ABT chip which has 500 HP in 1/4 with E39 M5 (cat removed around 420 HP)...

RS6 lost by 1 car, stock loses by 2-3 cars...

RS6 is only fast to 0-100...

Chipped RS4 420HP+ is faster then E39 M5 in 1/4...

Chiped RS6 stand not chance against E60 M5 or E55K...
Yes, it's true:thumb:

SoCal
December 1st, 2005, 06:47
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Having the raw numbers to beat one's chest about is great, and we all like to do this. But it's time to ask - how much power is enough? Even in the land of the autobahn, sensible opportunities to test a car's acceleration above 160 km/h must be getting fewer and fewer in number. The current trend is easy to like - bigger hp numbers seem great. But what about bigger vehicle weights, and bigger electronic nannies/guardians to save us from overwhelming the tires with all that grunt? Will we still be happy when it's a matter of routine that high-end sedans have 8 or 900 hp and weigh 5000 lbs.?

You are absolutely spot on. Weight and over-active traction control a la Mercedes is a much bigger enemy to performance and fun than "underpowered" 400 hp+ motors. Everything in automotive engineering is a tradeoff.