PDA

View Full Version : M5 tranny failure

gnomik007
November 19th, 2005, 14:51
Hi everyone.I just had a chat with a friend of mine in Moscow and he is really really pissed off.Why?Because his brand new full option M5 had a tranny failure and now the car is in services for some time he's been told.He had it since September or something but here we go.Another mate of mine had the pleasure to drive new M6 and he said after few doghnuts all dashboard lit with errors.Why is it?I thought in BMW apart rumors of exploding engines everything was sorted,mybe it is not the case.

Klint
November 20th, 2005, 11:10
Hate to defend BMW with their newer products, because I'm not really "sold" (or bought?) by them.

These are teething problems, next years model will have these ironed out (hopefully!). Donuts and co is abusing the car in such a manner it isn't designed, so I can understand why it went capooosh.

6er
November 25th, 2005, 16:56
That's too bad to hear. I had high hopes for the quality of the m5 and m6.

Code_2025
November 27th, 2005, 21:01
doesnt sound too fair on customers..i guess we drivers need to be careful too!!
:s4addict:

steve
November 27th, 2005, 21:24
I find that a high-performance car like an M5 should be able to cope with a burnout or donut once and a while.
All the failures and stories about only being able to use launch control a couple of times are quite poor.

gnomik007
February 22nd, 2006, 16:00
Another friend of mine with black M5 had to have his tranny changed by guarantee(London,UK) WHHAT is happening with that SMG?I am sure that if one does too many doghnuts, any auto or semi-auto tranny will develope illnesses,however I know for sure that neither one nor the second one have raped their beemers.
:harass: :cry:

krm
February 23rd, 2006, 04:24
Read a lot about these user experiences, more often than not, its a software glitch more than anything, a reset to the computer (turn on/off vehicle) puts the problem away. In some cases though it gets more serious.

I do agree though that with these new cars being so software dependent problems like this will be hard to put away as the car ages. We'll see how much improvement they make with the new batches now that they are going into their 2nd model year with the M5 and M6.

Erik
February 23rd, 2006, 07:25
When I was test driving the M6 the Launch Control would only work ONE time. We tried to cool the car, but it refused to LC again.

It's a very fast car, but if you can only achive those times once in a while it would certainly piss me off :deal:

gnomik007
March 27th, 2006, 14:21
Originally posted by gnomik007
Another friend of mine with black M5 had to have his tranny changed by guarantee(London,UK) WHHAT is happening with that SMG?I am sure that if one does too many doghnuts, any auto or semi-auto tranny will develope illnesses,however I know for sure that neither one nor the second one have raped their beemers.
:harass: :cry:

I cought a flight from Moscow to London yesterday and on it I met my London M5 friend.The car was bought in France so he is dealing with BMW Fr.He told me that apart from the tranny he BMW also changed the engine by guarantee :confused:
This is strange!The car has only done 6000km!!!Even more disturbing is the fact that the last two months the guy is driving 320 diesel car instead of his M5.The reason for this is that when the dealer recieved the new engine,after installing it it appeared to have no compression.I underline BRAND NEW ENGINE.Is this guy simply the most unlucky person on Earth or BMWs V10 isn't that perfect.The result is that they are expecting another engine to replace the first NEW one.The dealer has one M6 in stock today,but they wouldn't agree on exchange with maybe some extra money,although I think that in a situation like this he should get that M6 with apologies from BMW.Anyway,I really hope everything works out for him,but these news are disturbing.My friend has written letters/e-mails to a number of car magz and Top Gear Jeremy Clarckson explaining the situation,so lets see if this gets any response.I had a few issues with my RS6,but nothing like this.

AndyBG
March 27th, 2006, 14:51
As i posted while a go in some other thread, those cars are full of various ''issues'', best thing for me is BMWs proud anoucment of SMG III few years back, now they are taking orders for 6-speed manual in that same ''hi-tech'' M5/M6.

What is next, optional V8, for those ho actualy wants to drive their car?!

Erik
March 27th, 2006, 15:04
Your friend is not alone

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68781

Muju
March 28th, 2006, 10:20
Hi everybody,

Just to add a few M5's on the list. Here in Finland we have had 3 tranny failures, 1 ecu destroyed, 1 oil sump problem due to cold weather.

The V10 is a great engine if BMW get it running correctly.

gjg
March 30th, 2006, 14:11
well, it is nice to see that AoA's customer service is performing much better than BMW in Holland .... damn, my M5 broke down .. "well, sir, you can rent a skoda next door" :doh:

mr
March 31st, 2006, 07:30
new m5 seems to have som serious problems -> tranny + engine!

ok ... in this league almost every car got problems -> RS4 B5 -> soft rims which bent easily, ....

well ... sure this car has a HUGE amount of power and torque and they are based on cars that don't have to handle half of that power.

well ... let's see if they can fix it asap.

rgds
mr

steve
March 31st, 2006, 07:56
A dutch owner isn't as happy with his M5 as you can see:

it says: In 8 months 3 times broken gearbox ... and this is going to be my new car :p

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8/brokenm56nu.jpg

Benman
March 31st, 2006, 15:48
Aha! Good for him!:thumb:

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
April 1st, 2006, 00:43
He didn't need go harder way to findout that one.