PDA

View Full Version : Green Light For Audi R8 In Neckarsulm

Erik
November 15th, 2005, 15:01
INGOLSTADT, Germany - It is now official: the new Audi sports car will be called the Audi R8. Presented as the “Le Mans quattro” concept study two years ago at the IAA Frankfurt Motor Show, Audi has now taken the decision to build its new sports car. Everything is already being prepared for the series production of the R8 at Audi’s plant in Neckarsulm, due to commence in the fourth quarter of 2006. The market launch is scheduled for the second quarter of 2007.

28 million euros are being invested in the R8 production line. The Audi subsidiary quattro GmbH will be responsible for production. Development and test construction at quattro GmbH and technical development at AUDI AG are currently in full swing. 250 employees will work on the production of the R8.

“Through the R8 we are looking to build on our successes in motorsport and carry them over to series production. This model represents Audi’s very own interpretation of sportiness,” says Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of AUDI AG, about the new member of the Audi model range

RXBG
November 15th, 2005, 15:16
now i have to change my front custom plate. damn it.
i've also heard the front will be the only thing changing- and will be similar to the RSQ concept.

V8 and V10 are still up in the air and release order, as well. intro in paris 2006. BON!

Rstr
November 15th, 2005, 15:58
More Info on Engines

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/News/0,,1369-1372_1834626,00.html

Audihead
November 15th, 2005, 19:49
Hopefully they build some RS4's and RS6's too.:D How much production can the little Quattro Gmbh plant put out without starting to turn out junk.:confused: :D

RXBG
November 15th, 2005, 21:14
quattro gmbh is only getting bigger. they'll keep up. besides, they only make one RS model at a time and the new A2 is no longer going to be aluminum leaving more capacity for the R8. accordingly, they won't be designing a completely new engine for the R8...it'll be a shared component with other models (RS4 and new S6/S8) leaving quattro folks to simply develop the car and not necessarily assemble it.

Erik
November 15th, 2005, 21:26
Originally posted by RXBG
now i have to change my front custom plate. damn it.

I registered audirs9.com and audir9.com wanna buy them... :trash:

luxmis
November 16th, 2005, 00:39
for those of you who can read german, here you have information :

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/96132

it seems a nice car ! ! ! ! - but at what price ?

Jan

SoCal
November 16th, 2005, 08:14
See also:

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=5918&categoryId=1

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en1/company/news/press_releases/new_audi_sports_car.html

http://www.classicdriver.net/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12723 (with photo)

oder auf Deutsch:

http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/unternehmen/news/pressemitteilungen/Neuer_Sportwagen_geht_in_Serie__Start_frei_fuer_Au di_R8_in_Neckarsulm.html

And an old article about the concept car that may be still of interest:

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=2239&categoryId=1
:wo:

Kappe
November 16th, 2005, 13:17
Some site's tell that the R8 will be equipt with the V10 Biturbo with 610BHP and would be a reval of the enzo, carrera GT and Zonda.. Lets hope so :D

Finnus
November 16th, 2005, 13:59
If Quattro GmbH has limited capacity & generally only does one car at a time, will that effect production of the new RS6?

Finnus
:addict:

luxmis
November 16th, 2005, 14:09
This is a VERY good point - unfortunately !

I spoke with my dealer yesterday NO NEWS on a RS6 yet.

Jan

Benman
November 16th, 2005, 16:09
Originally posted by Finnus
If Quattro GmbH has limited capacity & generally only does one car at a time, will that effect production of the new RS6?

Finnus
:addict:
Yes, it will.

quattro is trying to grow as fast as possible, but it will take time. When I was there, they did mention they were adding 200 some employees over the next couple of years, but I don't know if this will be in time to help out the RS 6 production. They're expanding so much, that not even all the RS models will be built in that "shed" as Nordschleife calls it, but some in a building across the street! Oh, where has the tradition gone...

Ben:addict:

RXBG
November 16th, 2005, 20:41
it JUST occurred to me. 4th quarter 2006 is as early as october 2006.

paris may be too late to show the car. WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does this mean it might be introduced in geneva? and if already existing engines will be used does that mean that both hi and lo powered versions will go on sale at the same time?

in geneva it would eclipse the new TT.
in september it would eclipse the A5.
but a place like dubai would be too isolated to show this halo car.

mmmmh :vhmmm:

tailpipe
November 17th, 2005, 21:17
The styling of the production R8 will be different from all of prototype versions we've seen to date. Someone else said it will look like the RSQ that featured in I, Robot. This is about right, except for the covered wheel arches. R8 is going to look stunning. Trust me when i say it will force even Ferrari to rethink how their cars look. It will certainly have a 21st Century feel.

No news about when we'll see it. Anyone heard anything definite? I suspect it will be Detroit in January or Geneva in March?

RXBG
November 17th, 2005, 22:13
Originally posted by tailpipe
The styling of the production R8 will be different from all of prototype versions we've seen to date. Someone else said it will look like the RSQ that featured in I, Robot. This is about right, except for the covered wheel arches. R8 is going to look stunning. Trust me when i say it will force even Ferrari to rethink how their cars look. It will certainly have a 21st Century feel.

No news about when we'll see it. Anyone heard anything definite? I suspect it will be Detroit in January or Geneva in March?

detroit is too soon. though i am sure the final design is prob about concluded since the neckersaulm plant is gearing up for prod (final assembly stamp machines, etc being manufactured). S6 will be in detroit.

i suspect geneve at the earliest but probably a bit later.

i was also thinking, diff between RS4 engine and a V10 will be about 75hp. will this alone justify a second model? also, this car with V8 will have to do 0-60 in low 4 second range (since RS4 will do it in about 4.5). how fast is too fast? a V10 would do it in 4 flat or less. almost too close for the new gallardo.

this is why maybe audi will only produce a V8 powered model, keeping it consistent with R8 race car heritage...and leaving a HO model as an open question towards the end of its model cycle maybe?

after all, the nomenclature (R) does not classify it as a regular (A) model that could have an S or RS version spun off of it. the (R) designation maybe precludes any "special models" as maybe the (R) is the ultimate sporting designation audi will come to use. (i.e . A and Q < S and QS < RS < R

Audihead
November 17th, 2005, 22:20
The RS4 will be in Detroit as well. Debut for the NA market.

RXBG
November 17th, 2005, 22:23
:rs4kiss:

Audihead
November 17th, 2005, 23:21
Any pics?

7:53 RS6
November 18th, 2005, 13:37
Have you ever think on why the real R8 is rear wheel driven:D
:applause:

Benman
November 18th, 2005, 16:03
Originally posted by 8:05 RS6
Have you ever think on why the real R8 is rear wheel driven:D
:applause:
Because all wheel drive is outlawed in Le Mans!:applause:

RXBG
November 18th, 2005, 16:18
audihead- check out audiworld- the florida forum and scroll down. sorry i don't have tome to link it for you right now.

November 18th, 2005, 20:18
Originally posted by Benman
Because all wheel drive is outlawed in Le Mans!:applause:

Ehh if i say i was just checking, would you belive me, well dont i had no clu:D

Benman
November 18th, 2005, 21:54
Ehh if i say i was just checking, would you belive me, well dont i had no clu:D
From www.mulsannescorner.com (the Best website for Le Mans!):

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/2005LMP12.pdf

Scroll down to page 12 (of 34).

9.4: Four wheel drive: Not permitted!:cheers:

November 19th, 2005, 10:13
Originally posted by Benman
From www.mulsannescorner.com (the Best website for Le Mans!):

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/2005LMP12.pdf

Scroll down to page 12 (of 34).

9.4: Four wheel drive: Not permitted!:cheers:

What i did mean when i said i got no clu was that i dident know this.

That dident mean i dident trust you Ben when you said its was outlawed. Of course i did. :bye:

Paul Verbist
November 19th, 2005, 12:08
I like what I see :applause:

Paul Verbist
November 19th, 2005, 12:09

Paul Verbist
November 19th, 2005, 12:14

Benman
November 21st, 2005, 16:41

That didn't mean i didn't trust you Ben when you said its was outlawed. Of course i did. :bye:
I new what you meant Gote. I was never trying to imply you didn't trust me, you're a pretty dang cool guy, and I give you much more credit than that.

I just wanted to show you the website, has lots of cool Le Mans info.:cheers: