PDA

View Full Version : What was your guess on the RS4's powerplant 3 years ago?

Inline Six
November 15th, 2005, 08:34
Take a look at this post on audiworld from 3 years ago :eek:

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/1450.phtml

I find it amazing that this guy nailed it 2.5 years prior to the RS4's first launch. 400hp, FSI, N/A and V8, didn't miss a thing. Must have some high level source inside Audi AG.

And yes, I was the starter of that thread and I drove a 9-3 Viggen back then...

buyalemon
November 15th, 2005, 09:52
9-3 viggen ...that totally rocks :applause: ...a car you have to love though it may suck in many ways!!

//M

Benman
November 15th, 2005, 15:36
Three years ago, I was positive it would be a turbo'd 6.:doh:

Ben:addict:

Ruergard
November 15th, 2005, 16:40
Originally posted by Benman
Three years ago, I was positive it would be a turbo'd 6.:doh:

Ben:addict:

Same here...:doh:

5000S old skool
November 15th, 2005, 21:11
I thought it would be Turbo V8..

Inline Six
November 16th, 2005, 00:35
Originally posted by buyalemon
9-3 viggen ...that totally rocks :applause: ...a car you have to love though it may suck in many ways!!

//M

No kidding! I loved and hated that car so much at the same time!I have a thing for Swedish turbos. Had a 850 T5R before...

Back to topic, 3 years ago I thought it'd be the RS6's bi-turbo V8.

CarbonFibre
November 18th, 2005, 13:47
I'm pretty sure I always thought the engine would be like this. I was sort of holding out for a better biturbo V6, but with the S4 having a V8, they needed 8 or more cylinders. Turbos wouldn't fit, and a supercharger wasn't really a consideration since that would be very new for Audi, so the high revving V8 was the only choice. It's hard to remember what I might have suggested back then, though.

*Edit: Apparently I had a theory of a 3.0 biturbo which came from the fact that the Seat Cupra GT had a V6 sourced from Audi that was turbocharged. At this time, they still had that 3.0 in the normal A4s.

Benman
November 18th, 2005, 15:09
Got to remember that 3 years ago (mid 2002), the S4 didn't even have a confirmed motor yet. So I think it's safe to say most of us were hoping for a Bi Turbo V6 (as CarbonFiber pointed out, they only had the 3.0 at the time in the A4's).

We shouldn't feel too bad though, I was looking at some of my old EVO, Top Gear, CAR, Autoweek, Automobile, Car & Driver, Motortrend, etc... and not even ONE of them from three years ago guessed it would be a NA V8!

Ben:addict: :rs4addict