PDA

View Full Version : Discoloration of silver seats

momo
November 15th, 2005, 03:25
Is anyone else experiencing a discoloration their silver leather like the driver's seat in this photo?

http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/a/04/f3/73/7e_4.JPG

How did you fix it? My seat started showing the same pattern after 10k miles. The dealer thinks it's dirt and can be removed with a through cleaning, but the leather restorer tried cleaning and thinks it's a leather defect that results in stains.

Any advice?

Audihead
November 15th, 2005, 18:44
Can't tell from that pic what you talking about. Zymoil makes great leather cleaning products though.

LIRS6
November 15th, 2005, 18:55
I also have silver, and I use Zymol (sp?) ... u need to be proactive as I find they easily get darker due dirt etc., so clean them every month or so whether they appear dirty or not

JAXRS6
November 15th, 2005, 21:15
I also can't tell what the problem is from the photos. I have silver seats, 47K mi, no stains. I clean & condition periodically with Lexol. Only issue for me is one dark crease in the outboard bolster on my driver's seat, which I assume is due to wear.

momo
November 17th, 2005, 05:25
The problem is a dark brown/gray stain that goes across the seat back, from the beltline and below. It's not the normal bolster crease and wear. In the photo, it's visible on the front of the seat back, two thirds of the way down the seat.

Thanks

mi021le
November 17th, 2005, 05:41
take a heads on photo of the problem man. i think we all want to see it.

ps.. were in dc u located? man there are alot of us in dc.

shimmy
November 17th, 2005, 11:00
Originally posted by momo
The problem is a dark brown/gray stain that goes across the seat back, from the beltline and below. It's not the normal bolster crease and wear. In the photo, it's visible on the front of the seat back, two thirds of the way down the seat.

Thanks

sounds like you have been driving a little too fast and got over excited.

(bringing down the tone of the discussion a little but what the hell)

JAXRS6
November 17th, 2005, 15:20
OK, momo, I see it now, but a straight-on photo would help more. Just a guess, but do you wear jeans that are close to the color of the stain? Some jeans fade. Usually they leave their stain producing potential in a washing machine, but maybe it rubs off too over the long term. Or maybe some other type of trousers; just trying to make sense of the stain's "below the beltline" location.

Maybe you should take up the dealer on its claim that it's a stain, and say, "OK, how do I remove it?" If they don't have a clue or their suggestions don't work, it's time for one of you to call AOA.

mi021le
November 17th, 2005, 16:32
Originally posted by JAXRS6
OK, momo, I see it now, but a straight-on photo would help more. Just a guess, but do you wear jeans that are close to the color of the stain? Some jeans fade. Usually they leave their stain producing potential in a washing machine, but maybe it rubs off too over the long term. Or maybe some other type of trousers; just trying to make sense of the stain's "below the beltline" location.

Maybe you should take up the dealer on its claim that it's a stain, and say, "OK, how do I remove it?" If they don't have a clue or their suggestions don't work, it's time for one of you to call AOA.
agreed. if anything report it. theres leather cleaner that should take it out.

if not, then its time for euro seats.:p

LIRS6
November 17th, 2005, 18:40
My suspicion, now that I see what you refer to, is that it may be the result of (pants) belts. I've had ocassions where my belt has gotten wet due rain etc., and I have found that dye from the belt has leached onto the leather seat.

momo
November 22nd, 2005, 17:55
Thanks all for your suggestions. So far, leather cleaner has not removed the blemish. The Audi dealer in Va thought it was dirt, but a leather restorer thinks it a leather problem. I brought the car to my NY dealer and he immediately suggested that the AOA regional tech look at it because it might need to be replaced.

romac
November 24th, 2005, 14:57
I have the same problem, which is caused by the leather belt that I had worn. When the leather has been dyed to give it the desired color (in my case a darker brown), the color can rub off on to the seat back. As its a leather dye, not dirt, its designed not to be easily removed by cleaning solvents (thus the problem removing). Since then, I have taken care not to wear certain belts when driving.

Code_2025
November 24th, 2005, 21:16
Originally posted by romac
I have the same problem, which is caused by the leather belt that I had worn. When the leather has been dyed to give it the desired color (in my case a darker brown), the color can rub off on to the seat back. As its a leather dye, not dirt, its designed not to be easily removed by cleaning solvents (thus the problem removing). Since then, I have taken care not to wear certain belts when driving.

That was a very nice point romac...will have to keep this mind.

:s4addict: