PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the RS6

CornersWell
November 10th, 2005, 22:03
I've searched the archives and found a couple of good threads, but they seem to die out. I'm possibly interested in lowering my RS6. I looked at the Sportec springs, but when I started to do more research, I found that 1) I'd have to disable the DRC, 2) ride quality would suffer, and 3) this would probably void the warranty. I was also looking at going up to the 20" Sportec wheels at the same time.

The question is, how many of you have lowered your RS6s? Is my research correct regarding the DRC, ride quality and warranty? What has been your experience? Good, bad or ugly?

Do tell,

CW

Hy Octane
November 11th, 2005, 07:19
Hoppen offers a spring perch set for the RS6 that lowers the car 15 mm without having to redo the DRC and all of its friends..

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/rs6tuning1.htm

ricky71370
November 11th, 2005, 15:24
I've done the MTM perches and this is what the car looks like ....not a good side pic but something.

http://img496.imageshack.us/img496/667/clean23dy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Benman
November 11th, 2005, 15:32
CornersWell,

I'd go the route Hy Octane and ricky71370 are showing. Looks great and most likely will not void warranty.

Ben:addict: BTW Paul, those guys finally get you taken care of? If not, they should throw in a full MTM upgrade for compensation!:D

Hy Octane
November 11th, 2005, 20:09
hey Ben..
They couldnt get it to do its trick but they did fiddle with some other stuff cuz it runs like a bull now..Shifting smoove and pullin hard!

They have promised to give it their full attention when the weather warms up again and it happens more often..

On a more positive note, after not driving her for 3 weeks, there is no way I will ever get rid of this magnificent machine..

Its just too special.

So, I guess I'm resigned to dealing with its little quirk until we eventually find and fix it.

Benman
November 11th, 2005, 20:52
Originally posted by Hy Octane

On a more positive note, after not driving her for 3 weeks, there is no way I will ever get rid of this magnificent machine..

Its just too special.

Paul... I'm so happy... I could just...:cry: :cry: :cry: :D

:wo:
That's terrific news! It's been a very, very long time coming! Great to hear bud!:thumb:

Ben:addict:

buzz
November 12th, 2005, 17:49
Originally posted by Hy Octane
hey Ben..
They couldnt get it to do its trick but they did fiddle with some other stuff cuz it runs like a bull now..Shifting smoove and pullin hard!

They have promised to give it their full attention when the weather warms up again and it happens more often..

Its just too special.

So, I guess I'm resigned to dealing with its little quirk until we eventually find and fix it.

Hi Hy Octane,

I 'm happy you got your car back to perform, any specific areas they fixed. I really would like to know as I will be getting mine on the road soon, and I had the airflow duct sealed properly but right when I picked the car the accident happened.

Buzz:rs6kiss:

Hy Octane
November 12th, 2005, 22:41
Hey Buzz..
Well, they actually havent fixed the power loss thingy yet.. It just didnt do it for the techs while they were here.. (weather has been in a cooling trend last many weeks)..So, they have asked me to continue driving it nd when the weather warms up a bit and the car starts doing its trick more regularly so they can find it...

But while they were driving it they must have tweked a few things cuz its running much stronger now..:applause:

Aronis
November 13th, 2005, 22:32
Ricky71370,

What are the specs on those wheels and tires???

Nice Rims...

I will need new summer tires and considering 19in.....rims...

Thanks,

Mike

ricky71370
November 14th, 2005, 17:27
wheels- HRE C21--19x9---2.5 inch rear lip-2.0 inch front lip

tires- Pirelli PZERO Rosso--255-35

Ricky

djimenez
November 15th, 2005, 01:20
Hi guys, this is going to be my first post. I have seen pics of rs6 with sportec lowering springs, and I think they lower the front to much and the rear almost nothing, and even though you are able to keep the famous DRC, I still consider it not the best choice.

I lowered mine with a set of bilstein pss9 coilovers, expensive? yes. worth it? every single penny. The car is now more stable, more confortable and my car is set real low, even my wife noticed that the car felt smoother with the pss9 and 20" sportecs than the oem drc setup and 18". And we all know how women like to complain about the mods on cars specially when they see it lowered.

the only bad thing about them is you do notice a bit more body roll, but you can always cure the problems with some swaybars from Hsport or H&R I believe.

vspec2
November 17th, 2005, 04:37
what about getting the rs6 plus springs????
will that mess with the DRC at all????
has anyone done the rs6 plus spring on a US RS6???

mi021le
November 17th, 2005, 05:32
''the only bad thing about them is you do notice a bit more body roll, but you can always cure the problems with some swaybars from Hsport or H&R I believe.''

wait so its like taking a step backward to take a step forward? explain im confused?

''has anyone done the rs6 plus spring on a US RS6???''

not much of a change i think its like 1 mm or somthing small like that.

im thinking about changing the sway bars and maybe....maybe geting the mtm perches. not trying to change the ride to much. i like it.

but always open to new ideas...:addict:

gjg
November 17th, 2005, 07:53
Originally posted by mi021le
''has anyone done the rs6 plus spring on a US RS6???''

not much of a change i think its like 1 mm or somthing small like that.

nope, look at the factory specs - plus suspension is either 10 or 15 mm lower, and there is definitely a difference in handling.

As a matter of fact when you have rs6 and rs6+ side by side on garage floor you can see there is a difference.

gg

mi021le
November 17th, 2005, 09:19
Originally posted by gjg
nope, look at the factory specs - plus suspension is either 10 or 15 mm lower, and there is definitely a difference in handling.

As a matter of fact when you have rs6 and rs6+ side by side on garage floor you can see there is a difference.

gg good call gjg. its 4 am here and didnt prof read. meant around a inch. lol. is it? have u driven both?

minimad
November 17th, 2005, 15:37
Originally posted by djimenez

I lowered mine with a set of bilstein pss9 coilovers, expensive? yes. worth it? every single penny. The car is now more stable, more confortable and my car is set real low, even my wife noticed that the car felt smoother with the pss9 and 20" sportecs than the oem drc setup and 18". And we all know how women like to complain about the mods on cars specially when they see it lowered.

the only bad thing about them is you do notice a bit more body roll, but you can always cure the problems with some swaybars from Hsport or H&R I believe.

djimenez, you put a set of PSS9 on RS6? does Bilstein offer that? Wow, it's a good news to me! Please tell me the parts number if you knew.
At what setting you feel more comfortable and more stable than the OEM ? How much $?

I currently put the RS6 + spring on my normal RS6, also the MTM lowering plate, I've noticed the difference is not samll (also not dramatic), but still not as good as PSS9 on my other cars, I am waiting for the set of H-Sport sway bar to see how much improvement would be. I expect more rear wheel feedback at high speed corner. I just can't determin to give up DRC system or not?

djimenez
November 17th, 2005, 18:26
No, you are not tacking a step back by needing sways, its true the drc helps controll body roll by linking the shock diagonally, but it is only making the roll of a larger swaybar.

When you are tuning a susp, you have to make compromises. either having a comfortanle setup, or one that handles, engineers use swaybars to compensate for this. The problem I see in the oem susp is taht its just to stiff, cant tell if its the spring rates or the bound-rebound settings on the shocks. I also noticed while doinga track day, that the drc gives you a false sense of security by not letting you really tell the bodyroll of teh car, and in quick transitions it may get caught of guard and it handles weird. (flame suit on) just my opinion.

On teh other hand, the pss9, due to their adjustability I can set them up softer for the street and stiffer for the track, and with some sway bars, I can adjust even more to my liking on road or track.

On teh price side, around 2k plus the swaybars form hsport.

mi021le
November 17th, 2005, 18:55
i was talking about why ud go with coilovers that make it roll more. then put sway bars. if u can keep the drc and put sway bars. but u track race so it make sence. :addict:

djimenez
November 17th, 2005, 21:25
I really dont track this car much, its too heavy. even th ers4 is a pig at the track, for that I use the skyline.

Mostly, I went with coilovers just to lower the car and to get rid of the rake. I consider the factory rake on the car just a to much, looks like an old 70 hotrod, low in front high in the back. If I had gone with just springs, or the mtm spring perches, I would still have the same rake, now I have it setup as I like it, almost leveled but a little bit lower in front, a perfect rake.

vspec2
November 18th, 2005, 01:17
Originally posted by gjg

gg

So does it mess with the DRC at all? I was just wondering cause thats the route that I am going to take once I get my rims but if it does then I will go with the spring perches that MTM offers since I know for sure that they don't mess with the DRC.

Benman
November 18th, 2005, 01:29
Originally posted by vspec2
So does it mess with the DRC at all? I was just wondering cause thats the route that I am going to take once I get my rims but if it does then I will go with the spring perches that MTM offers since I know for sure that they don't mess with the DRC.
Wouldn't think so since what George is talking about IS factory. The RS 6+, and DON'T rub it in George!:D

Ben:addict:

vspec2
November 18th, 2005, 01:32
Thats cool. Now only to find a way to get them???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

TIA

Maybe we could get a meet together some time after thanksgiving of the RS6's in this area??:addict:

gjg
November 19th, 2005, 08:29
Originally posted by vspec2
Now only to find a way to get them???

Hoppen Motorsports in FL or contact the factory ....

I do not know where else you could get sports stock setup :idea:

gjg
November 19th, 2005, 08:37
Originally posted by mi021le
have u driven both?

yes, more than once - normal drive hard to notice any difference, twisty road with "Detroit" finish the sport suspension holds noticeably better

:rs6kiss: