PDA

View Full Version : 2007 B8 A4

tailpipe
November 8th, 2005, 13:48
The next generation B8 A4 will be shown in 2007 and go on sale in 2008, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

The same chassis, as recorded elsewhere on this forum, will be used for the new A5, which is basically an A4 coupe with 2+2 seating. This will be shown in 2006 and go on sale in 2007.

This picture doesn't really show it, but the wheels are mounted much further forward than before, giving it a stance that is similar to the BMW 3-Series.

The interior will be stunning and set new standards for the class. Expect more rear passenger legroom and excellent driver ergonomics.

New engines will debut including both common-rail deisels and direct engine gasoline engines.

Rumoured but not confirmed, the longitudinal DSG gearbox will debut in the A5.

Benman
November 8th, 2005, 16:37
I know it's only a computer pic, but do you have it in a larger size?

Ben:addict:

tailpipe
November 8th, 2005, 16:47
Took this picture off Auto Motor und Sport website. Next edition will feature larger pictures and should be available by this time next week.

(and yes, although this is a CGI picture Auto Motor und Sport usually gets it 95% right:)

Kappe
November 10th, 2005, 09:36
I don't know if this is the same picture as the small picture, but it looks like it :p

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/57552.jpg http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/audi/autobilda51.jpg

roadrunner
November 10th, 2005, 10:34
Originally posted by Kappe
I don't know if this is the same picture as the small picture, but it looks like it :p

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/57552.jpg http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/audi/autobilda51.jpg

Not quite - the Audi shown is a renderig of the future A5

greets
Seb.

eazy
November 23rd, 2005, 09:19
The new A4 (2008) from the back

eazy
November 23rd, 2005, 09:22
And the one, tailpipe posted a little bigger

Benman
November 23rd, 2005, 15:48
Thanks for the bigger pic. Those two pictures lead me to believe Audi will keep things very similar looking compared to the old model as opposed to the BMW 180 degree method.

The front headlights look a little bit of a rip off from the new 3 Series though... but these are only photoshops, so we'll have to wait for the real ones to come out to know for sure.

tailpipe
November 23rd, 2005, 21:12
I agree, i think headlight design should be treated with the same respect as other design signatures.

BMWs were traditionally distinguished by double headlamp clusters. Every successive model had a different interpretation of the same theme. In my mind, this was what made their cars distinctive. You used to look forward to seeing how they would be creative within the two-lamp configuration. Than along comes Chris Bangle and makes the headlight treatment on every new model look like a cheap rip-off of an out-of-date Japanese competitor. What a shame. I sincerely hope Audi isn't going in the same direction. The advent of LED for front head lamps should enable Audi to return to a more subtle overall design, but I'm not holding my breath.

On reflection, i think the new B8 A4 design is too evolutionary. In particular, i think the new grille needs to be much, much smaller. Freeman Thomas started to take the brand in a very exciting new direction. I love the Neo-classical Bauhaus look he introduced with the TT which was then extended to the A2. Very bold, very adventurous and totally distinctive. You could tell both cars were Audis without seeing a single badge. I don't think the new TT will be anything like as special.

Clearly, Audi isn't taking anything like the risks that BMW did. Instead, it is blighted by medocrity rather than outright disasterously horrible design. Whether it is Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW or Audi, no German car company can afford to take any risks with design that would cause a model to bomb in the marketplace - the stakes are too high.

As a result, all of these brands are ending up looking very similar. Audi and Mercedes-Benz certainly seem to be converging. Meanwhile, BMW reigned-in the design department with the new 3-Series. The Porsche 911 has just reverted to a look it had 20 years ago and the Cayenne is simply a rebodied Touareg. I think Audi will seriously need to think about pensioning-off Walter da Silva.

What makes me say this is that LExus is starting to get its design so right. The new Lexus IS is gorgeous - the big secret is that it was penned by an Italian not a Japanese. L-Finesse = LF = Leonardo Fioravanti.

AndyBG
November 24th, 2005, 02:17
Yes Tailpipe, i agree with you the new Lexsus cars are scary good, at least in my opinion. I am great lover of Audi cars all my life but this "Da Silva" era is litle bit confusing for me. 7-8 or more years ago Audis were "silent killers" of the "autobahn", (RS2, RS4...) nowdays to many "emotions" involved, that isn't a reason i "fall in love" with four rings.
This is not going in good direction, if you asking me.

exE46M3
November 25th, 2005, 02:43
Originally posted by tailpipe
Clearly, Audi isn't taking anything like the risks that BMW did. Instead, it is blighted by medocrity rather than outright disasterously horrible design. Whether it is Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW or Audi, no German car company can afford to take any risks with design that would cause a model to bomb in the marketplace - the stakes are too high.

Tailpipe,

I agree. Well, to a certain extent at least...

As far as BMW is concerned, look at the sales numbers... Record bank year after year... :thumb:

What makes me say this is that LExus is starting to get its design so right. The new Lexus IS is gorgeous - the big secret is that it was penned by an Italian not a Japanese. L-Finesse = LF = Leonardo Fioravanti.

See, that's globalization... Cars are getting designed in Italy, engineered in Germany, and built in Japan... It's hard to talk about what German cars should look like...

PS: The new IS may be drop dead gorgeous, but it's still kind of boring... For instance, you can't get an IS 350 with a MT in the US... :(

tailpipe
November 25th, 2005, 13:36
ExE46M3,

(By the way I am also an ex-BMW E46 M3 owner!)

Luckily for BMW, their ability to provide well-engineered cars cars has not been compromised by dog ugly bodyshells. In particular, their extensive range of stunning engines, perhaps more than anything else, explains their sales success. As they go for volume, which they must to achieve the economies of scale they need to survive as an independent manufacturer, build quality seems to have suffered. A lot of people may not agree with this, but it is the reason why I shall not be buying one again.

What is interesting about Lexus is that while they say they are aiming at BMW, the brand they are really targeting is Audi. In fact, Martin Winterkorn, Audi's CEO, ackowledged that Audi's biggest threat is Lexus.

For this reason, Audi's decision not to switch to a rear-wheel drive platform was disappointing. That said, it seems like B8 may offer something totally new and innovative. So long as this translates into great handling dynamics, Audi will be fine.

The idea of a front wheel drive car with the engine behind the front axle instead of over/ infront of it is certainly interesting. Of course, it won't have the balance of a rear-wheel drive chassis. Instead it should be extremely forgiving: you'll be able to chuck it into corners at speeds you wouldn't dare with a conventional RWD chassis. We'll see.

In the meantime, Lexus' VDIM system shows a level of sophistication in electronic driver aids that goes beyond anything I've seen in any German competitor's car. Yes, VDIM has been criticised for killing all the fun, but this is only its first iteration. It should be clear that as Lexus fine-tunes it, they will overcome nearly all concerns about RWD handling in tricky conditions.
In fact, it's going to be very interesting to see how they incorprate VDIM into the new LF-A supercar.

I don't know whether you've tried the automatic gearbox in the new IS250/ 350? I have and it's darn good. Personally, I think it is unlikely that the lack of a manual box in the IS350 will impact sales. In fact, this issue is irrelevant, because Lexus is developing a high-performance IS with a V8. This will compete directly with the S4/ RS4. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how they compare.

Audi has two aces up its sleeve still: one is quattro, which really makes its performance usable year-round in a way that no BMW can match. The other is longitudinal DSG.

The third ace was styling...

exE46M3
November 25th, 2005, 15:02
Luckily for BMW, their ability to provide well-engineered cars cars has not been compromised by dog ugly bodyshells. In particular, their extensive range of stunning engines, perhaps more than anything else, explains their sales success. As they go for volume, which they must to achieve the economies of scale they need to survive as an independent manufacturer, build quality seems to have suffered. A lot of people may not agree with this, but it is the reason why I shall not be buying one again.

Well, I guess I'm lucky. I really do like the current designs.

You're right. Driving dynamics always improves no matter what.

What is interesting about Lexus is that while they say they are aiming at BMW, the brand they are really targeting is Audi. In fact, Martin Winterkorn, Audi's CEO, ackowledged that Audi's biggest threat is Lexus.

That's definitely news to me. Thanks for sharing. I always thought Lexus was aiming at all German premium brands: BMW, Audi, and MB.

I don't know whether you've tried the automatic gearbox in the new IS250/ 350? I have and it's darn good. Personally, I think it is unlikely that the lack of a manual box in the IS350 will impact sales.

Yes, I was invited to test-drive the new IS and drove the 250 RWD with the 6sp auto tranny. I agree that the slush box works well, but since I'm not ready to give up the third pedal, that's always a big let down... :( It would've been nice to have the option to buy the 350 with MT...

I agree. That won't hurt sales... At least not in the US... There's a very good reason why you can't get the 350 with MT in the US: demographics... ;)

In fact, this issue is irrelevant, because Lexus is developing a high-performance IS with a V8. This will compete directly with the S4/ RS4. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how they compare.

See, I don't think that's totally irrelevant because people do buy 330s and A4s equipped with manual trannies (same price range), but I understand that may be no biggie for Lexus customers.

Yes, it'll be very interesting to see how a performance oriented Lexus does against some of Germany's finest.

ültje1
January 21st, 2006, 20:01
the ne A5 first spy pic?

http://www.bilnorge.no/export/bb_35824.jpeg

MJN
January 22nd, 2006, 12:28
Ofcourse not, if it will arrive in 2007/8, they'll probably just finished the design stage, so they definitly haven't finished the car in the exact 1:1 model

tailpipe
January 22nd, 2006, 15:47
The computer renderings/ spy shots of the new A5 coupe are pretty accurate in terms of what the final production version will look like. In fact, the car is remarkably faithful to the Nuvolari concept.

Even better news is that the car gets many of the new bits seen on the dog ugly Roadjet concept at Detroit: North-south DSG, 3.2 FSI 300bhp engine (plus RS4's 420 bhp engine), and so on...

The RS5 will be a true rival to the M3, I'm sure.

RXBG
January 23rd, 2006, 19:40
Ofcourse not, if it will arrive in 2007/8, they'll probably just finished the design stage, so they definitly haven't finished the car in the exact 1:1 model

this applies to the B8 A4, NOT the A5. the A5 is supposed to be introduced this year, likely in paris, to go on sale at about the same time as the new 3 series coupe....

the new A4 follows a year later

tailpipe
January 23rd, 2006, 21:20
There's been a big slow down in new car sales just about everywhere over the last few months as consumers across all developed western economies adjust their spending to cope with universally higher interest rates. I fully expect quite a few new model launches to be pushed back unless things start to change very soon...

New TT may arrive Paris 2006 instead of Geneva.

New S6 will probably still make it to Geneva but the launch may be put back to September 2006.

New RS4 Avant will be at Geneva and then launched in June.

New A5 may not appear until Geneva 2007.

New R8 should still appear at Paris 2006, but launch may be pushed back.

Sorry to be bearer of sad tidings, but outlook is bleak right now. Ford just announced it is closing 7 plants reducing output by 1.2 million cars. That's scary.:vgrumpy:

Yak
January 27th, 2006, 14:13
And at the same time car sales increased in US last year..

eazy
January 27th, 2006, 15:03
Some new rumors about the b8:

Unfortunately we do not have a picture of the upcoming new model of the Audi A4, so we are going to show you a pic of the Audi Roadjet which is rumored to give you a clue of the design of the next Audi A4.

The engine is said to be moved more to the back, the gearbox and the differential gear will switch places in order to make the front overhang 15 cm (!) shorter.
And now take a look at the picture again.

Engines are said to range from a 4 cylinder with 85 kW/115 bhp to 158 kW/215 bhp and diesel engines from 88 kW/120 bhp to 180 kW/245 bhp. The 6- and 8 cylinders might come with a very wide range from 184 kW/250 bhp up to incredible 368 kW/500 bhp!

source: germancarblog.com

tailpipe
January 27th, 2006, 16:25
Originally posted by Yak
And at the same time car sales increased in US last year..

Not for Ford and GM. :blush:

US growth was almost entirely delivered by Toyota and other Japanese brands. By the way official sales figures for the last 3 months are due in a couple of weeks. They are not good reading.

But let's return to the B8. The Roadjet doesn't seem to benefit from having an engine mounted further forward, does it? Has anyone seen inside the engine bay?

For all this hype about how brilliant B8 is going to be, it has to deliver. Otherwise...

:asian:

Benman
January 27th, 2006, 16:43

For all this hype about how brilliant B8 is going to be, it has to deliver. Otherwise...

:asian:

I thought according to EVO, it was Blasphemy for a British Driver to prefer a Japanese car over a German sedan and that you'd be struck dead on the spot by a bolt of lightning?:hihi:

FrenchAudi
February 3rd, 2006, 22:03
latest photoshop of the B8..

Absolutely....GORGEOUS!!!!

FrenchAudi
February 3rd, 2006, 22:04
Rear...
Similar to the coupe posted on the fist page.

Benman
February 3rd, 2006, 23:27
Those last pics look really good, but isn't that getting a wee close to the Bangle way of design? I see a lot more than just one design element in there that is straight from Bangle 101.

tailpipe
February 4th, 2006, 13:47
Thanks Frenchy, great pics.

Yes, I have to agree with Benman about the evil influence of Mr Chris Bangle. This is something that should definitely not be encouraged. Sadly, the big three German marks all seem to be on a collision course when it comes to styling. None of them have distinctive head or tail light treatments that make them instantly recognisable examples of their marque. Increasingly, the grille or badges or the only way to tell them apart.

That said, Audi's design is probably the least offensive. The B8 is certainly attractive in a masculine kind of way. The grille seems to work well with the front bumper design. It is certainly a far cry from the under-stated graphic simplicity that marked Audi for so long.

In fact, Audi's former design philospohy seems to have been adopted very successfully by Lexus. I think the new IS is the most attractive car in its class.

But it is under the B8's skin that I most care about. Here it will need to deal with the Lexus in a comprehensive way. Engine, transmission and suspension layout will be the critical factors.

As for Brits being shot on the spot for preferring Japanese cars; we're probably going to have to get used to a new world order. Today, Japan is doing to the German car industry what Germany did to the UK car industry in the 1970s.

Only real innovation can help Germany sustain its lead. Take a look at another new Lexus, the LS460. This has Maybach levels of equipment and build quality, but the price is less than an entry level S320. Scary.

Sorry, to digress. Audi needs to look East not merely to its German rivals not least with its new A4 series...

Payne
February 5th, 2006, 13:19

The RS5 will be a true rival to the M3, I'm sure.

I'd say that the new Rs4 will be rival big enough even to the new M3 coming.
Rs5 in my opinion will compete with the BMW M6.
What do you think?

eazy
February 5th, 2006, 14:20
Originally posted by Payne
I'd say that the new Rs4 will be rival big enough even to the new M3 coming.
Rs5 in my opinion will compete with the BMW M6.
What do you think?
An A4 Coupe (what the RS5 will be) should compete with an M6? :doh:
I think it should compete with the M3 Coupe.

Payne
February 5th, 2006, 15:25
Originally posted by eazy
An A4 Coupe (what the RS5 will be) should compete with an M6? :doh:
I think it should compete with the M3 Coupe.

I just checked it out and you're right. I thought that the a5 will be closer to a6 size. That'd be huge coupe>M6 territory:)

Poor M3 It is going to be beaten by Rs4 and then runned into ground by Rs5:bye2: :hihi:

tailpipe
February 5th, 2006, 18:57
I think the new platform that underpins both the new A4 and A5 model ranges will be a huge step forward for Audi - actually that's the whole focus of this thread. But the $1 million question is will the B8 A4 be the Audi that finally beats BMW at its own game?

According to the latest edition of the the UK's Car magazine just published, the new Audis will still not match BMW's 50:50 weight distribution. With the quattro drive-train they will also be heavier than equivalent BMWs with RWD. So the Audi isn't going to beat BMW by trying to be a BMW. It has to beat it by doing something different.

Usable performance is what an Audi Quattro is all about. But still on the limit, an Audi is a car that steps in when the driver exceeds his limits to save the day. That extra degree of safety makes an Audi a safer car, but if you believe magazine EVO, it blunts an Audi's on-the-limit handling.

Personally, I don't believe you can do things in a BMW that you can't do in an Audi. i think it is the other way round. That is why the RS4 is infinitely better than an M3 yesterday, today and tomorrrow.

Payne
February 5th, 2006, 19:10
According to the latest edition of the the UK's Car magazine just published, the new Audis will still not match BMW's 50:50 weight distribution. With the quattro drive-train they will also be heavier than equivalent BMWs with RWD. So the Audi isn't going to beat BMW by trying to be a BMW. It has to beat it by doing something different. [/QOUTE]

I think the first Audi' step to 'do something different' is 40:60 power ratio which started in Rs4, Q7 is going to have the same. Who's next?:) > I think this is going to be standard in every awd audi in near future.

[QOUTE]
Personally, I don't believe you can do things in a BMW that you can't do in an Audi. i think it is the other way round. That is why the RS4 is infinitely better than an M3 yesterday, today and tomorrrow.

No Doubt!
:hihi:

Benman
February 6th, 2006, 16:48

That said, Audi's design is probably the least offensive. The B8 is certainly attractive in a masculine kind of way.

As for Brits being shot on the spot for preferring Japanese cars

Yes, of all three, it is the least Bangle, but it is still there to some degree. Be careful Audi, as tailpipe says, this car is very important for you to get right the first time!

Yep, I think the Brits will have to get used to more cars from the East, EVO be darned!

tailpipe
February 6th, 2006, 19:58
:bow: :bow: :bow: :asian:

:D :D

Benman, you make me laugh! Glad you agree.

Benman
February 7th, 2006, 01:15
Glad you agree.
100%:0:

It's just that I'm an Audi dork now, so it would take an act of God to get me to buy Lexus (entire family is Lexus converts, I'm the only one left!!!)... even if/when their cars become a superior product. Stubborn Audi retards...

Ben:addict: (forever!!!)

AndyBG
February 7th, 2006, 01:28
Benman, you just now what is good car, they dont!

:)

Payne
February 7th, 2006, 12:18
Originally posted by AndyBG
Benman, you just now what is good car, they dont!

:)

Exactly!...And That is what separate us from the rest of the world.:))) Poor them, but don't tell anybody it wouldn't be that cool if everyone was driving Audi:D :D

Skaala
February 9th, 2006, 10:57
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8236/a4b84eo.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1430/back9kya6ev.jpg

The next generation B8 A4 will be shown in 2007 and go on sale in 2008, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport. The same chassis, will be used for the new A5, which is basically an A4 coupe with 2+2 seating. This will be shown in 2006 and go on sale in 2007. This picture doesn't really show it, but the wheels are mounted much further forward than before, giving it a stance that is similar to the BMW 3-Series.The interior will be stunning and set new standards for the class. Expect more rear passenger legroom and excellent driver ergonomics. New engines will debut including both common-rail diesels and direct engine gasoline engines.

Personally I think the new B8 A4 looks awesome with the S-Line package. :thumb:

eazy
February 9th, 2006, 11:53
The pics are posted one site before and are from Auto Bild.
But don't give too much on it, it's Auto Bild. ;)

The interior will be stunning and set new standards for the class.Isn't the audi-interior the benchmark yet?