PDA

View Full Version : The real reason for the RS4 delay

Dave
November 7th, 2005, 19:36
Anyone know why the RS4 has been delayed?.. the real reason??

I have contacts in Audi who normally are quite willing to say what is going on, but they are stum over this??

The uk is suffering a six month delay.. so what is going on?. I hear the delay is similar to others.. yet cars are out there.

Strange :confused:

rheudabaga
November 7th, 2005, 23:45
indications are still on track for spring release in the US.

tailpipe
November 8th, 2005, 12:44
US spring release for RS4? Dream on, buddy.

rheudabaga
November 8th, 2005, 12:53
Well, Tailpipe, I consider it a high honor to be your buddy:hahahehe: But seriously, I'm only spouting what I've heard from a few other insiders, like yourself, and my dealer. I totally recognize that this is all hearsay at this point. And I understand that spring to some (especially in the auto industry) is late June.

I'm just saying that I haven't heard anyone say that the US market was in line to be late like some of the other markets. What have you heard in this regard that you could share with us?

I agree with what you've said elsewhere: the longer they push this car back, the more that other options and competitors will start to become more desireable. As for now, the RS4 is the machine.

:rs4kiss:

yetis
November 8th, 2005, 13:07
Adding to the rumors, here is what my dealer said
He said that the US RS4's were the first ones to be built. That the factory was going to squeeze out the first 500 or so RS4's, factory spec, with few choices in options. Colors, inside and out, nav and wood, if carbon is not your thing.

Then, after they pushed these out, the line would be reconfigured and normal production would begin for ROW.

As I said, thats what I heard.

tailpipe
November 8th, 2005, 15:45
Hi rheudabaga,

I didn't mean to sound rude. Sorry.

There definitely appears to be a technical issue that is delaying the new RS4. Nobody knows what this is yet and neither Audi nor quattro Gmbh are saying anything.

As with all other RS models, it is easier to satisfy European demand before turning to the US market, especially as more stringent homologation requirements may force more complex adjustments to be made. (I think our own Nordschlieife also mentioned elsewhere that the uneven standard of US gasoline requires a revised engine mapping to ensure that all grades are catered for, and thus a slight loss of power.) So, I certainly don't think that the first cars off the line will be US spec ones.

European deliveries were meant to start in September, but only a few countries are starting to receive cars even now. In the UK deliveries have been delayed to February. Meanwhile, US deliveries were orginally meant to start in April/ May. Personally, I don't see this happening given the issues in Europe. I reckon it will be more like August/ September. Some dealers may well be shooting a line so you don't cancel your order.

In spite of everything, however, I am pretty confident that new RS4 will be fully launched in Europe by June 2006. I am even more sure that Audi will eliminate all oustanding issues to make it a great machine.

My advice to anyone frustrated by this delay is to buy something else in the interim and then pick up an RS4 second hand. They'll depreciate quite heavily initially - like all RS models - but thereafter I expect a more gradual decline value. You should certainly be able to save as much as 20-25%. This way you'll feel less annoyed at buying a car that's due to be replaced within 18 months of launch.

Rstr
November 8th, 2005, 17:51
It would be funny if we got our cars b/f the british. :wo:

Dave
November 8th, 2005, 18:27
Originally posted by Rstr
It would be funny if we got our cars b/f the british. :wo:

Funny, but unlikley :bye2: :D

Rstr
November 8th, 2005, 19:47
Either of you two up for a small wager -- giving me 5 to 1 odds?

yetis
November 8th, 2005, 19:59
We learned the following about the RS4 from the above meetings:
- Ordering details should be available very shortly,

- SOP (Start Of Production) is (still) scheduled for 1/13/06

- Block* delivery to dealers is (still) scheduled for 3/24/06

- RS4 will be MY 2007.
* Means all cars are released from port on the same day.

Sims
November 10th, 2005, 17:03
Originally posted by tailpipe
Hi rheudabaga,

I reckon it will be more like August/ September. Some dealers may well be shooting a line so you don't cancel your order.

In spite of everything, however, I am pretty confident that new RS4 will be fully launched in Europe by June 2006. I am even more sure that Audi will eliminate all oustanding issues to make it a great machine.

My advice to anyone frustrated by this delay is to buy something else in the interim and then pick up an RS4 second hand. They'll depreciate quite heavily initially - like all RS models - but thereafter I expect a more gradual decline value. You should certainly be able to save as much as 20-25%. This way you'll feel less annoyed at buying a car that's due to be replaced within 18 months of launch.

As always a great summary from tailpipe. :dance:

tailpipe
November 10th, 2005, 17:23
Thanks PP I do my best!

:0: :cheers:

Randy M
November 10th, 2005, 17:55
Replaced 18 months after launch? Please elaborate. Are you talking new A4 model (B8)? Or are you talking about a B8 RS4? :confused:

Dave
November 10th, 2005, 21:12
Saw both of these when browsing the internet today:

Met the head of marketing for the country at the motor show a couple of weeks ago. Nice bloke, if too honest by Audi standards. Two interesting things he mentioned- Car was designed with the US in mind, and that explains why the turbo got the flick (but let's not start this discussion again)
- Delivery delays due to reliability issues. Engine tests showed that the 4's engine does not last as long as Audi want it to. Although Audi claims one of the fastest piston speed in the industry, continuous usage in the 8000+ rpm creates fatigue issues. First deliveries for Europe were planned around August/September, now set back to January in the hope that the team can crack the issue til then

While I'm sure they will, it sheds some light on possible reasons for the delays

and another:

When testing at the Nordschliefe they aparently got through 3 engines in a week there due to the top half of the engine melting

Maybe more of the truth is comming out!

JavierNuvolari
November 11th, 2005, 03:25
:rolleyes: sad to hear that Audi has problems with reliability in their engines...maybe they still do not have the expertice to build a hi revving engine as BMW does...anyway I'm not trying to start something here :)

Cheers mates,

Javier

Mr Balsen
November 11th, 2005, 08:48
As I have posted somewhere else, Wat I have heard two weeks ago at Ingolstadt is a (big) heat problem of the top engine (cylinder head level). Everything is delayed until this problem is fixed.

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

tailpipe
November 11th, 2005, 09:34
I can't help thinking that Audi should have stuck to the formula that has worked so well before: V-8 with bi-turbos. All of Audi's Le Mans success was achieved with such engines. Plus the RS6, of course, and lets not forget the old RS4 with its V-6 plus turbos.

The high revving V-8 is proving to be a bit of a nightmare for them. Have no fear, it will be perfected. Who knows maybe we'll see a bonnet bulge with a dramatic air scoop for cooling.

Rstr
November 11th, 2005, 14:04
"The first RS 4 models will be in [European] dealers’ showrooms by the end of this month. " :dance: I hope this is the correct rumor! :rs4addict

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2289132

New dimensions in driving dynamics coupled with innovative technology – plus exciting styling and a level of equipment that lives up to even luxury-class standards: the new Audi RS 4, the latest high-performance product from quattro GmbH, combines a thoroughbred sports saloon with supreme everyday driving qualities in the premium segment. This car is now available for ordering and costs €69,900. The first RS 4 models will be in dealers’ showrooms by the end of this month.
Numerous technical innovations – many of which originally hail from motorsport – give the new Audi RS 4 its unique class and character. These include the high-revving concept, now being introduced for the first time in a production Audi, innovative FSI technology in conjunction with a V8 and the latest generation of quattro drive. The 420 bhp eight-cylinder engine revs up to a speed of 8,250 rpm. With a displacement of 4,163 cc, the saloon breaks through the magic barrier for production cars of 100 bhp per litre. 90 percent of the total torque is available between 2,250 and 7,600 rpm. The result is excellent pulling power at all times, enabling the driver to drive in a relaxed style without frequent gear changes.

The performance of the RS 4 clearly demonstrates these enhancements: it reaches the 100 km/h mark in 4.8 seconds, and 200 km/h in 16.6 seconds. Top speed is limited electron-ically to 250 km/h. The challenge is to transfer all this power to the road in the best way possible. For the last 25 years, Audi’s answer to all the par-ticular requirements in this respect has been “quattro”.

With its 40 (front) to 60 (rear) asymmetric/dynamic torque split and self-locking Torsen centre differential, the latest generation of Audi’s permanent four-wheel drive, which is featured for the first time on the RS 4, helps considerably to propel the RS 4 – with its sports suspension – into entirely new dimensions in driving dynamics. quattro drive is further enhanced by DRC (Dynamic Ride Control) which significantly reduces both the rolling and pitching motions of the vehicle.

Driving the Audi RS 4 means driving a sports car without missing out on any of the comforts. The RS 4 therefore comes with virtually all the features already boasted by the Audi A4. As well as extensive technology, these include deluxe automatic air conditioning, central locking with radio remote control, the Audi parking system at front and rear, the concert radio system and sports suspension with variable damping (DRC). Furthermore, RS 4 drivers can also opt for even higher levels of comfort in features such as the navigation system plus or dynamic adaptive light technology.

Rstr
November 11th, 2005, 14:08
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_1780.shtml

source: Audi AG

:bye2: to all you naysayers

:rs4kiss:

CarbonFibre
November 11th, 2005, 20:24
Originally posted by tailpipe
I can't help thinking that Audi should have stuck to the formula that has worked so well before: V-8 with bi-turbos. All of Audi's Le Mans success was achieved with such engines. Plus the RS6, of course, and lets not forget the old RS4 with its V-6 plus turbos.
A V8 biturbo wouldn't fit in the engine bay. They probably should have just made a biturbo version of the 3.2 liter 6 that could have probably made a solid 450-500 horsepower stock if they wanted. I guess marketing couldn't stand for an S4 with a V8 and then an RS4 with a V6, so they made this stupid thing.

Rstr
November 11th, 2005, 20:37
Originally posted by Mr Balsen
As I have posted somewhere else, Wat I have heard two weeks ago at Ingolstadt is a (big) heat problem of the top engine (cylinder head level). Everything is delayed until this problem is fixed.

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

The engine would be the only area of the car w/ a heat problem if they brought the RS4 into France. :eek:

Lake Sky
November 12th, 2005, 19:40
My Audi sales guy said he's heard that there are two main issues with bi-Turbo engines : 1) meeting near term tighter US emissions standards and 2) the poor residual value auction history of cars like the B5 S4 type cars due to their being assumed by dealer buyers at the auctions to having been chipped ( and the reason for their popularity for the tuner mkt) , with it's resultant questionable engine /drivetrain reliabilty . Normally aspirated engines are less likely to be messed with since ( esp under warranty as Audi is not financially strong in the US as witnessed by their cutting back on full maintenance and the disconinuation of paying dealers for warranty service loaner cars ) chipping nets so few extra horses that you'd never feel it in the SOTP. Audi is trying to improve it's almost Saab-like terrible resale values in the US market.

Bauer
November 13th, 2005, 19:01
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
A V8 biturbo wouldn't fit in the engine bay. They probably should have just made a biturbo version of the 3.2 liter 6 that could have probably made a solid 450-500 horsepower stock if they wanted. I guess marketing couldn't stand for an S4 with a V8 and then an RS4 with a V6, so they made this stupid thing.

you so sure about that:hahahehe:

the v8 tt not fitting?

clam
November 14th, 2005, 08:32
Originally posted by JavierNuvolari
:rolleyes: sad to hear that Audi has problems with reliability in their engines...maybe they still do not have the expertice to build a hi revving engine as BMW does...anyway I'm not trying to start something here :)

BMW always has problems with their high performance engines. But they just put them on the market anyway, and then do a recall. That's how most manufacturers do it. Believe me, manufacturers know all the problems in their cars. Sometimes it's cheaper to do a warranty fix, than to delay production for a problem. Either Audi doesn't wanna play that game with the RS4, or the problem is so big they can't just fix it in a recall.

But what's a few months in the grand sceme of things. Look what happened to DeLorean when he tried to rush the car to production, b/c he was afraid the model would seem old if it went through a full development process. DeLorean might still be around today if he hadn't made that decision. Having a quality product is many times more important than the delivery date.

CarbonFibre
November 14th, 2005, 09:30
Originally posted by clam
BMW always has problems with their high performance engines. But they just put them on the market anyway, and then do a recall. That's how most manufacturers do it. Believe me, manufacturers know all the problems in their cars. Sometimes it's cheaper to do a warranty fix, than to delay production for a problem. Either Audi doesn't wanna play that game with the RS4, or the problem is so big they can't just fix it in a recall.

But what's a few months in the grand sceme of things. Look what happened to DeLorean when he tried to rush the car to production, b/c he was afraid the model would seem old if it went through a full development process. DeLorean might still be around today if he hadn't made that decision. Having a quality product is many times more important than the delivery date.
Haha, tell that to Microsoft.

Audihead
November 14th, 2005, 17:48
Originally posted by Bauer
you so sure about that:hahahehe:

the v8 tt not fitting?

Maybe with a little Crisco and a shoehorn.:D

Rstr
November 14th, 2005, 20:16
http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12720

I hope the media is right, and the rumor mongers are wrong!

Audihead
November 14th, 2005, 22:07
Originally posted by Rstr
http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12720

I hope the media is right, and the rumor mongers are wrong!

Linky no worky.

Rstr
November 14th, 2005, 22:09
Bizarre... works for me.

Hope the quotes break the link: "http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12720"

Audihead
November 15th, 2005, 18:41
Works now, Thanx.