PDA

View Full Version : New Lexus LS?

Benman
October 21st, 2005, 15:11
This question is for tailpipe. Thes pics are from http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_tokyo/gallerys/lexus_lf-sh/pages/01.htm

It is a concept (LF-sh), but looks 90% complete.

Benman
October 21st, 2005, 15:12
A side shot. Overall looks good.

gjg
October 21st, 2005, 15:16
looks like a bimmer no? :vhmmm:

Benman
October 21st, 2005, 15:21
Originally posted by gjg
looks like a bimmer no? :vhmmm:
Not nearly as ugly!:applause: :lovl: :lovl: :applause:

Ben:addict:

tailpipe
October 21st, 2005, 16:36
Hi Benman,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

We're not presently working for Lexus, so my opions about this car are educated guesswork, rather than rumours from a reliable (or more often than not unreliable) source!

According to Lexus Press Releases at Tokyo, it will start selling the new LS from November 2006 and will present the production version at the Detroit in January 2006 and in Europe at the Geneva show next March. Given the relatively short time between now and its official presentation and market launch, we can assume that the concept is very close to the final car. 90% seems to be a good estimate of how final the design is.

The production version looks to be even more of a mix between the GS and new IS models. Since the production version's styling will be quite a leap away from the existing model - a good thing IMHO - the concept must surely be intended to provide a bridge between old and the radical new.

I think the front-end will change, particularly the front bumper, nose and light cluster. I also think the rear bumper/ exhaust design, side sills, and rear light clusters will be different. It'll get different wheels - everyone says the ones on the concept are too bling! However, the overall shape is very close to spy photos leaked from Japan (see Edmunds.com).

Overall, my assessment of the car is: watch out Mercedes S-Class. I think the new LS will be as sensational as the new IS. (That's what you get when you have the good sense to hire an Italian stylist, though Lexus will never admist it!) Dynamically it will be every bit as good as the S-Class and 7 series. But where I think it will really score is cost, interior refinement, more intuitive electronic gizmos, and the fact that a hybrid will be available much sooner than any German competitor's.

Lexus seems to be cultivating an image of understated luxury based on technical performance of its products rather than prestige of the brand. I think it is the only way it can compete with Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi. Moreover, I think it is something that will appeal to a generation of car buyers who just don't want to shout about their wealth.

This is interesting, because it used to be Audi that was all about understated luxury. Now Audi cultivates an overt luxury image, so instead of being distinctly different from Mercedes-Benz and BMW, it has become identical.

A lot of people will never consider buying a Lexus, because they perceive that it doesn't have a premium car image. But for some people, this is exactly why they will buy one: they want to buy a quality car not make a personal statement about how successful they are.

Benman
October 21st, 2005, 17:16
Originally posted by tailpipe

A lot of people will never consider buying a Lexus, because they perceive that it doesn't have a premium car image. But for some people, this is exactly why they will buy one: they want to buy a quality car not make a personal statement about how successful they are.
Thanks Tailpipe:cheers: ,

This post is mainly for my father. Despite my absolute VERY best efforts, I can not get him to bite on the A8 (even showed him the upcoming S8, his response, "Nice, but I'll stick with my Lexus":cry: ).

He has often asked for me to give him any update (pics, stories, etc...) on when the new LS is coming out and what it will look like as he wants it.

Now I could continue to convince him that the A8 is better and that Audis are superior to Lexus, but in the end, do you know what that will do? It will only convince him that all German car owners look down condescendingly at "Jap" luxury cars when even his own first born is "against" his LS purchase. So instead, I don't want to be one of those A Holes who think that only their car is the best and all other marks are rubbish (ahem... some vistors to this forum please pay attention:D ) and will continue to be positive about his new purchase.

Afterall, as you posted, that IS one of the reasons he likes Lexus better. Audi has become just like BMW and Mercedes and now are shouting their "luxury" instead of keeping the understated class they enjoyed. My dad doesn't care if the Lexus is a "poser's" car. It's quiet, comfy, still handles reasonably well, every single bit as reliable and better priced.

Maybe one day, I'll get him to try Audi, but for now, I'll help him with whatever car purchase he makes. That's what sons are for.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

tailpipe
October 21st, 2005, 18:22
Audi's brand promise is "Vorsprung durch technik" or leadership/ progress through technology. Unfortunately for the Audi A8, the new Lexus LS is the next generation not yesterday's. In fact, I think it is a shame but true to say that Toyota/ Lexus is about 4 years ahead of anything Audi is planning to release.

Audi has done exceptionally well with the current A8. It is a much more desirable car than the existing S-Class, IMHO, and the most attractive executive limousine in the class. But it will soon be overshadowed by the new S-Class and then by the new Lexus LS. The technology in the new LS is in a league beyond the just released S-Class, let alone the ageing A8. The reason for this is that the Japanese really get it when it comes to integrating advanced electronic systems into their cars. The new Gen 5 SatNav system, VDIM technology, split airbag, knee airbags, reversing camera, dash display and on-board computer, illustrate well what I mean.

While Audi has three traditional strengths: exterior styling, build quality, and its interior cabin environments, motoring journalists seem to think that Lexus is close to equalling Audi across all of these dimensions. My own concern is that Audi could screw-up its styling reputation. The new grille has yet to really make one of its new cars look sensational. The current A2, TT, B6 A4, old A6 and current A8 have a stunning individuality but also a strong family look. They represent the high water mark of the brand's design excellence. The latest models seem to have a lot of fussy details and I'm not convinced that the sense of familiy identity is as strong as it was.

Design is the best way to differentiate a car today. So Audi must keep its design out in front. The TT shooting brake concept looks wonderful on the inside, but the exterior simply isn't as well resolved as the Bauhaus simplicity of the first TT, which is a masterpiece.