PDA

View Full Version : New Audi S8 unveiled

S3 freak
October 19th, 2005, 01:14
Link: http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_1737.shtml

The new S8 equipped with a 5.2L V10 FSI engine :wo: :wo:
Canīt wait for the new RS6 - just wondering what a TT setup could do with this powerplant :race: :race:

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/5488/0017ca.jpg
http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/1659/0024oc.jpg
http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/328/0133rl.jpg
http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/971/0206en.jpg
http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/5972/0275cu.jpg

absent
October 19th, 2005, 01:44
Beautiful!!!
Not enough power considering the competition..........

Kram
October 19th, 2005, 02:43
Where is the Power ?:cry:

JavierNuvolari
October 19th, 2005, 05:14
MM...I know that maybe it's "only" 450hp...but I just love the desing, definetely a car that I would buy if I had the money...

Guess that the question now is : what about the new S6 & RS6 engine will be ?? will it be the same 5.2 V10 450hp on the S6 ??

Cheers mates:incar:

Angellus
October 19th, 2005, 09:01
Originally posted by JavierNuvolari
MM...I know that maybe it's "only" 450hp...but I just love the desing, definetely a car that I would buy if I had the money...

Guess that the question now is : what about the new S6 & RS6 engine will be ?? will it be the same 5.2 V10 450hp on the S6 ??

If Audi does the same thing again then the S6 will have the same engine with less power.

Now I have to tell my dad so we can order the S8 to replace the current one! :race:

Then use it till the new RS6 comes out :addict:

MJN
October 19th, 2005, 09:25
A race-based V10 engine! That sounds good for the performance, although 1920 kg is quite heavy. I'd really like it, but i still go for the more agile RS4

My quess: S6, same engine, RS6 twin turbo or like the RS4... highreves meaning 100 pk/l (520 pk)!

tailpipe
October 19th, 2005, 10:39
This looks fantastic. Surprised by only 450 bhp, but anticipate an ample supply of torque to make up for it. My A8 choice would still probably be the 4.2 diesel.

Angellus
October 19th, 2005, 10:48
Yep if it was a little lighter it would have been as fast as the RS6.

331Kw & 540Nm will have to do till the new RS6 comes out.

0-100 in 5.1sec is still quicker than the old S8 so it will be fine.

Quite heavy though, the old one weighs only 1720Kg.

Can't wait for the first reviews. If it is anything like the old one it will be a great car.

Benman
October 19th, 2005, 16:11
I love it. Looks great with the different facia and lower side moldings.

Where's Bauer? This is totally his new baby.:hahahehe: :heart: But of course, in BLACK!:p

Ben:addict:

Kappe
October 20th, 2005, 00:09
I think it will have more than 450HP, becaus the w12 already has 450 and you know audi :dance: .
I gues it gets somewhere near 480/500 HP.. Than the S6 would have 450HP becaus its lighter..
And the next generation RS6 this v10 engine with BiTurbo, that one we can fiend in the nuvolari with 600HP :D :rs6kiss:

clam
October 20th, 2005, 01:04

If they are going to turbocharge it for the RS6, an RS8 with the same engine wouldn't be that far of a stretch.

I think 450hp is just right for the S8. It's not a sportscar.

Kappe
October 20th, 2005, 01:07
Originally posted by clam
If they are going to turbocharge it for the RS6, an RS8 with the same engine wouldn't be that far of a stretch.

I think 450hp is just right for the S8. It's not a sportscar.

yes it IS a "sportscar" why you think they name it the -->S<-- 8?
the W12 is meant to be a powerfull luxery car.. so I think they will give it a little bit more power somewhere round 480BHP. and stiffen up the suspension a bit, and do something with the gear ratios

absent
October 20th, 2005, 03:28
Originally posted by Kappe
the W12 is meant to be a powerfull luxery car.. so I think they will give it a little bit more power somewhere round 480BHP. and stiffen up the suspension a bit, and do something with the gear ratios
450hp is already official #......

Bauer
October 20th, 2005, 05:57
Ben,

Love the car.... but was hoping for 500 hp.... 450 is on the light side IMO.

It is beautiful though.... I will be carefully listening for confirmation of a RS8.... which would be the one, if not then I will get this one. Although I may wait a year or so and let someone else pay the 30% depreciation on it.... I can be paitient for 450hp... although my wife may not be:D

clam
October 20th, 2005, 07:14
Originally posted by Kappe

from the press release....

Audi S8 - The Luxury-Class Sports Model

Oct 18, 2005

source: Audi AG

Distinct sports appeal and supreme comfort – these are the two defining characteristics of the Audi A8. At the time of its market launch three years ago, this large saloon shot straight to the top of the luxury segment thanks to its dynamic qualities. The brand with the four-ring emblem is now unveiling a sporty top model of the very highest calibre in the luxury segment: the new Audi S8.

It will be appearing on the market in the mid of 2006, with a price tag of EUR 97,600.

The Audi S8 is equipped with a new V10 engine that capitalises on the expertise of the super sports car Lamborghini Gallardo. The 10-cylinder power unit develops 450 bhp of power and 540 Nm of torque from a swept volume of 5.2 litres. The torque value is achieved at as low an engine speed as 3,500 rpm. As on the Le Mans winning R8, the most successful racing car in the world, FSI petrol direct injection assures superior power output in the Audi S8. This luxury saloon sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.1 seconds, and is electronically governed at 250 km/h.

The driveline and chassis of the S8 have been modified to reflect the engine's power. A quattro drivetrain of the latest generation with asymmetric/dynamic torque distribution diverts the engine's power to all four wheels. The firmer settings of the adaptive air suspension sport and modifications to the steering ensure that the power and dynamism of the drivetrain are translated with precision into locomotion.

The design of the new S8 completes the picture – the sporty top model also has the looks of the most athletic luxury saloon car. There is an atmosphere of luxurious elegance inside the car. Its lavish equipment lends the Audi S8 a pre-eminent status within the competitive field.

Is it fast? Yes.
Is it a sportscar? No. More like a 4door GT.

JavierNuvolari
October 20th, 2005, 13:55
Originally posted by clam

The driveline and chassis of the S8 have been modified to reflect the engine's power. A quattro drivetrain of the latest generation with asymmetric/dynamic torque distribution diverts the engine's power to all four wheels. The firmer settings of the adaptive air suspension sport and modifications to the steering ensure that the power and dynamism of the drivetrain are translated with precision into locomotion.

Does this means that the S8 will have the same 40/60 distribution as the new RS4 ???

Kappe
October 20th, 2005, 14:10
Does this means that the S8 will have the same 40/60 distribution as the new RS4 ???

Yes it will be :D

here's a link with the information in dutch.. http://www.audi.nl/index/home/over_audi/nieuws/nieuws_detail/0,9258,19358_D0Lnl,00.html

I think it's on all the audi site's

And if not I can translate it

audirs6.ch
October 20th, 2005, 16:52
The Front and the Back are as nice as they could, but the Power isn't enough for the engine. 500bhp would be more appropriate.

But the car as itself is very nice made :0:

QuattroFun
October 20th, 2005, 19:50
Looks really nice as an all-round package - yeah, maybe it is a bit underpowered but engine still appears nice in terms of performance and then again you can never top the Brabus/AMG boys in the power game anyway.

Audi claims just 220kg for the S8 V10 vs. 208kg for the RS4 V8. Now, maybe with small front end mods and light ceramic brakes just imagine a more sexy V10 "RS4 plus" that weights about the same with pretty similar weight distribution as the RS4 V8...

Paul Verbist
October 21st, 2005, 11:44
The design of the car is what I'm used to with Audi... Wonderfull :applause: :love:

The power of the engine could be better... BMW's V10 is more powerfull than AUDI's... :doh:

J0X
October 21st, 2005, 19:59
A bit far-fetched perhaps but if anybody's got info on release dates, I'd be happy to be let in on them.

JaXx
November 12th, 2005, 23:39
can't you forsee the power from the upcoming S6 now ?

PREVIOUS CURRENT
S8 : 360hp S8 : 450hp
S6 : 340hp S6 : probably 420hp, the RS4
engine. Not 500hp or more

What do you guys think .. does this make any sense

:bye:

absent
November 13th, 2005, 13:33
"Never follow" ??????????

SoCal
November 23rd, 2005, 07:35
Sounds right.

As for the S8, given where it sits alongside the W12 as more of a sporty-luxury-cruiser, I'd say 450 is probably fine and Audi wouldn't sell noticeably more of them with 500 hp. Now, when the new :addict: RS6 comes out, it will have to have more power, but that's just part of the story.

The constant tradeoff is power from a bigger engine versus the weight penalty. Plus manufacturers' gas mileage targets. And it's even harder when you've got the added weight of AWD, which is one of the essential hallmarks of the brand.

If Audi can shave off more weight elsewhere in the cars with the S and RS badges, while keeping the weight distribution more balanced for good handling, that would be the better direction to go rather than just chasing the other German makes in the horsepower wars. :revs: That was the innovation Audi made once with aluminum; now we need more carbon fiber.

Don't get me wrong, I love the low-end torque and gobs of readily available power in my RS6's bi-turbo V8:rs6kiss:, but there's a lot to be said for properly balanced lighter cars as far as handling, fuel economy and speed. (Compare the Aston Martin 12 cyl DB-9 to the new AMV8 to see what a little weight savings can do, plus moving the engine and tranny back and down to balance the weight front and rear and get a lower center of gravity. Or the Cayman S vs. the base 911.)

If only the new RS4 were lighter with the same engine, we might not all be wishing it had more power to justify the price and name (IMHO).

AudiPower
November 23rd, 2005, 08:17
I think carbon fiber is to expensive for a audi I gues..
Btw you can't compare a DB9 with a AMV8 imo.. (DB9 is more like a GT cruiser) The AMV8 is also heavy but not TO heavy, same for the RS4 (but still like 200 kilo's more than a 911)

I think they did a good job with the new rs4.. it's a light alluminium V8, and the side panels are also from aluminium so the front is lighter than before. Also this time (FINALLY!) audi sends 60% of the power to the back weels so the weight distrubution feels different. I think it feels near 50/50 :D
And with this all new NA tuned high reving 4.2L V8 it has always the power to get this weight rolling
I think this can be the best RS car yet! Becaus al the old RS's had wrong weight distribution (but it was save.. BUT Audi you want it to be a sports car!) So they finnaly saw the light :D

I just hope they will improve this much again with the new RS6 and on and on and on :p

(my version of the RS4 would be a 3.2Fsi BiTurbo with around the same BHP 420/450. So the weight of the V6 would be a little bit more to the middel, and the V6 is already lighter. Also more weight saving materials for the body. And even more power to the back wheels.. More like 70%. Becaus the people who buy this car don't buy it to be understeary.. And with 30/70 it's still much saver than a rear wheel drive car imo. But they didn't made my RS4 :p to bad, still a very nice car! and imo enough power.. 420! damn)

SoCal
November 23rd, 2005, 08:47
Originally posted by AudiPower
(my version of the RS4 would be a 3.2Fsi BiTurbo with around the same BHP 420/450. So the weight of the V6 would be a little bit more to the middel, and the V6 is already lighter. Also more weight saving materials for the body. And even more power to the back wheels.. More like 70%. Becaus the people who buy this car don't buy it to be understeary.. And with 30/70 it's still much saver than a rear wheel drive car imo. But they didn't made my RS4 :p to bad, still a very nice car! and imo enough power.. 420! damn)

All good points. Now, if only they had made your RS4. ;) Sounds like a nice package. The 996 911TT has 30/70 split and drives nicely, though of course with too much weight in the back from the engine. I can't wait to see what Audi has in store for the new RS6....someday. Maybe with carbon fiber manufacturing costs coming down (think Z06), we'll get lucky. Until then, at least there's the new RS4.

Toto89
December 8th, 2005, 22:09
The car is one of the nicest cars i've ever seen but i don't understand why Audi couldn't do it's first car with more than 500hp?:cry: :cry: :cry:

kojack
December 24th, 2005, 13:17
ha ha, I love this site, only 450 hp...im going to be extremely happy to squeeze 250 from my passat....ha....that is one hot car.