PDA

View Full Version : Budweiser

gjg
October 18th, 2005, 23:35
:harass:

Poor Portugese

Imagine you live in Portugal.
You drink something there called Budweiser.
It is a really good Czech beer.

Then, you travel to America.

Unwittingly, you start to consume the chilled horse urine that Americans call Bud.

You would be mentally scarred for life, not to mention wretching your guts out.

Americans know very little about alot. Like beer.

EU Court Rules on Anheuser-Busch Case - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051011/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_anheuser_busch_portugal

:cheers:

gjg
October 18th, 2005, 23:39
I would not necessarilly agree with:

1. Americans know very little about alot - not true unless you live in Arkansas, Luisiana, WV and TN .... and of course Washington, D.C.

2. wisdom of EU commission - this is oxymoron.

:applause:

however, the only thing Budweiser sold in US has common with beer is the name - the "horse piss" description is more than accurate .....

:thumb:

Benman
October 19th, 2005, 16:04
Well that's weird... according to that article, Anheuser-Busch has been making "Budweiser" since 1876, and Budejovicky Budvar was founded in 1895. So if correct, Busch actually came up with the name first?!? I thought it was the other way around?:vhmmm: :confused:

Ben:addict:

gjg
October 19th, 2005, 16:39
that brewery in Budweiss was there since 13xx or so.

Benman
October 19th, 2005, 17:51
Originally posted by gjg
that brewery in Budweiss was there since 13xx or so.
Yes, article says:"Beer has been brewed there since 1265."

But they did not use the name "Budweiser" until 1895. At least according to the article?:confused: So according to them, they brewed beer first, but stole the name "Budweiser" from Anheuser-Busch.

Not sure if that is correct though? Maybe the article is wrong?:vhmmm:

Ben:addict: But yes, Anheuser-Busch's version IS Horse Pee Pee.

Erik
October 19th, 2005, 18:25
I have visited Bud USA, the largest brewery in the world. They said largest, not the BEST :D

Miller for me :thumb:

gjg
October 19th, 2005, 19:43
Damn, Erik ... I thought you would have some taste ... Millllller ..... what a disappointment ....

:harass:

gjg
October 19th, 2005, 19:49
bullshit

But they did not use the name "Budweiser" until 1895. At least according to the article? So according to them, they brewed beer first, but stole the name "Budweiser" from Anheuser-Busch.

This was named under Habsburg empire - I guess better statement in today's lingo would be "marketed under this name" as of .. the name was there before - if not Anhauser-Bush took them to cleaners already ...

And, lets not foget, the Trade Mark "Budweisser" was registered to Czech company all over except North and South America ....

Hey, here is a deal - next time you're over I'll arrange personalized tour in Czech and we can do it the other way around in US - than we can compare .... I will bring my own beer though to A-B ...

:0:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Benman
October 19th, 2005, 20:04
Originally posted by gjg
bullshit

Hey, here is a deal - next time you're over I'll arrange personalized tour in Czech and we can do it the other way around in US - than we can compare .... I will bring my own beer though to A-B ...

:0:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
You don't have to convince me, already had "Budweiser" in Czech (and bought a bottle of REAL Budweiser to take back home with me:thumb: ).

My point is that according to the article, it sure makes it sound as if the original Czech Bud company was NOT using the name until AFTER the American Boys were supposedly using it. It says that the Czech company was clearly first, but for some reason or another waited OVER SIX HUNDRED YEARS for the Americans to "invent" the name Budweiser, and THEN copy it from them.:rolleyes: I don't neccessarily believe it, but that is what the story tellers are saying anyway.

gjg
October 19th, 2005, 20:27
it that was true, lawyers already had a field day ...

and I know you committed considerable amount of your travel time to "field" research of brewing bussiness during your visit in Czech ... oooops, did I say something supppose to be a big secret?

Benman
October 19th, 2005, 20:46
Originally posted by gjg
it that was true, lawyers already had a field day ...

and I know you committed considerable amount of your travel time to "field" research of brewing bussiness during your visit in Czech ... oooops, did I say something supppose to be a big secret?

Oh no, no secret at all. Wife knows the real reason I go to Europe is :incar: (Autobahn and Nurburgring) and :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D

Code_2025
October 27th, 2005, 22:45
Originally posted by Erik
I have visited Bud USA, the largest brewery in the world. They said largest, not the BEST :D

Miller for me :thumb:

:harass: :harass:

:s4addict:

sturs6
October 28th, 2005, 02:24
Do you know how you make Budweiser?

Oh and does anyone know if BUDWEISER actually stands for Because U Deserve What Every Individual Should Enjoy Regularly.

Oh to answer the first question...

You send him to school!!!

LOL
Stuart

Benman
October 28th, 2005, 16:10
Originally posted by sturs6

You send him to school!!!

LOL
Stuart
:hihi:

gjg
October 28th, 2005, 20:24
Originally posted by sturs6
Oh and does anyone know if BUDWEISER actually stands for Because U Deserve What Every Individual Should Enjoy Regularly.

that I can translate only to "take a leak ...." on regular basis because that is as close as the A-B product gets .... :applause:

Benman
October 28th, 2005, 21:43
Originally posted by gjg
that I can translate only to "take a leak ...." on regular basis because that is as close as the A-B product gets .... :applause:
:D

Yes, yes, but don't forget, NOW, Budweiser has their new "Select" Budweiser.:rolleyes:

"Yes, because we realize for the last 150 years, we've been giving you $%^&, so now we'll make a NEW (read more expensive) line of beer that's actually half decent, and call it even. Oh, the regular stuff? Oh, we'll keep making that.":rolleyes:

gjg
October 29th, 2005, 12:57
so it goes through at double speed?

Benman
October 31st, 2005, 15:30
Originally posted by gjg
so it goes through at double speed?

No, now the slogan for "Select" is "We slow things down. Bud Select, expect everything".:rolleyes:

Interesting, they also say made from the "best" American AND Bavarian hops. I'm thinking 1% American hops and 99% Bavarian hops, that would be the ONLY thing to give it a fighting chance for it to be half good.

I have NEVER in my entire life spent my OWN $$$ on a Bud product, but maybe, just this once, I'll do it for the sake of the members here for "research" on this new product.:D

gjg
October 31st, 2005, 17:17
awaiting results ... :D

Benman
October 31st, 2005, 19:45
Originally posted by gjg
awaiting results ... :D
I can't believe you're going to make me spend my $$ on that ....:D

I'll keep you posted.

Ben :addict:

Benman
November 1st, 2005, 15:48
I sent my wife to purchased some "Select" from the grocery store. OK, so after spending (or wasting, depending on how you look at it) some $$$, the results:

It compares on a close to equal basis to the lowest quality of German beers (had a LOT during my trips there:D ). I would certainly NOT continue their slogan of, "Expect everything". After the first sip, I was thinking, more like, "Don't get your hopes up!":rolleyes: Sad.

If anyone has tried "Amber Bock" by Michelob, then don't waste your time on Select. Amber Bock beats it hands down.

And George, even the new Select is not on par with Pilsner's Budweiser.

The first and LAST time I will ever spend my $$$ on Bud. I did it for you guys so you won't have to.:thumb:

gjg
November 1st, 2005, 16:45
results as expected .... we can maybe establish "Ben's tasting fund" to compensate for the sacrifice of tasting various horse piss samples ....

Benman
November 1st, 2005, 18:05
Originally posted by gjg
results as expected .... we can maybe establish "Ben's tasting fund" to compensate for the sacrifice of tasting various horse piss samples ....

Yeah, for the needed organ transplants from putting that in my body!:D

gjg
November 2nd, 2005, 20:14
well, you may drink it filtered after one use - I'd bet there would be no difference in the taste, and - if you cool it .......:harass:

you have another bottle

recycling at its best :applause: :applause: :applause:

Benman
November 2nd, 2005, 22:55
Originally posted by gjg
I'd bet there would be no difference in the taste, and - if you cool it .......:harass:

Actually, there is a slight difference (don't ask, long story :D), but it is real close!:bigeyes: Scarey thought for all those Bud drinkers!:bye2:

gjg
November 3rd, 2005, 07:42
hey, this sounds like personal experience ... bring it out .... :wo:

Benman
November 3rd, 2005, 18:54
Originally posted by gjg
hey, this sounds like personal experience ... bring it out .... :wo:
Nah, better to keep it in....

Maybe one day the world will be ready. :D

Let's just say this: if there was a group of us straded in the desert with nothing to drink or eat, I'd be the last man standing.:thumb:

gjg
November 4th, 2005, 05:14
yeah, I get the picture ..... :D

gjg
November 8th, 2005, 15:49
Ben,

I have located the original method how the stuff you tested is made ....

:applause:

Benman
November 8th, 2005, 15:56
Nice...:rolleyes: Now I feel better.:D

Ben:addict: :cheers:

Payne
November 21st, 2005, 15:45
I think it doesn't matter who came out first with the brand, the point is that we have best beer than anyone in the world.:bye2:

Benman
November 21st, 2005, 16:01
Originally posted by Payne
I think it doesn't matter who came out first with the brand, the point is that we have best beer than anyone in the world.:bye2:

Nah, George already tried to convince me of that. The beer I had in Prague with him was certainly first class!:cheers: But the beer I had with Nordschleife in Munich was out of this WORLD!:bigeyes:

Germany still makes the best, sorry.

Payne
November 21st, 2005, 17:55
hmm I'll think about going to Germany and give it a chance:cheers:

Payne
November 21st, 2005, 18:05
Originally posted by Benman

How about Belgium beer. They have like 250 kinds.
I've drunk couple types and those where good(ofcourse not as good as the czech ones:P).Except for the dessert one's which where sweet and cherry and strawberry flavoured-that sucked

Benman
November 21st, 2005, 18:19
When I'm there in 07', I'll give it a try.:cheers:

SoCal
November 23rd, 2005, 08:26
One of the nice things about beer is that it comes in so many tastes, each expressing a different national culture. Pilsner (not Budweiser) in Czech, fine Trappist Ale in Belgium, a fabulous Hefe Weizen in Germany, or a rich stout or nutty "real" ale in Britain...all are great. I'd hate to live in a world that only had one type of beer, even if it was The Best.

As for the big US brands...puke: But don't knock American hops. Some of the best micro-brews around are made with special hops from Northern California. And some of the world's worst beers are mass produced on other continents. Quality, not quantity. Usually, just find the freshest, most distinctive beer made the closest to where you're drinking it, and you can't go too far wrong.

If you really care about the old US/Czech Budweiser dispute, check out http://www.american.edu/TED/budweis.htm. There was even a 1939 international agreement to address the point, so it goes back a ways. When I lived in Europe years ago, we got into a lot of long talks about the relative merits of local brews and the evil ways of the watery global brands. Really just an excuse to sit around all night with friends and :cheers:. Nice memories.

gjg
November 24th, 2005, 21:04

bullshit - Germans buy approx. 70% of Pilsner Urquell production ... why is that?

Of course if I had the same time frame available as R+C in Munich, we had personall tour in the brewery .... and you'd be still signing as canary ....

gjg
November 24th, 2005, 21:07
and Payne is right, we have the best .....

I'd hate to live in a world that only had one type of beer, even if it was The Best.

of course there is several (that is close to a 100) smaller breweries in Czech so there is definitely wide variety (after the best and of ourse after the real Budweiser) ....

Benman
November 28th, 2005, 17:50
Originally posted by gjg
bullshit - Germans buy approx. 70% of Pilsner Urquell production ... why is that?

So... Americans buy 90% American made Budweiser, and I'd hardly say it's good!:D

Numbers are just numbers. Yours is good, but I still think German stuff is better. Just my HO.

Tell you what, next trip to Cheska Republika, I'll let you prove me wrong.:cheers:

Payne
November 28th, 2005, 21:25
Originally posted by Benman

Tell you what, next trip to Cheska Republika, I'll let you prove me wrong.:cheers:

Let me know when you do. I'll happily help you:harass:

Benman
November 28th, 2005, 22:04
Originally posted by Payne
Let me know when you do. I'll happily help you:harass:
Always up for some good :cheers:

gjg
November 29th, 2005, 06:44
plan for 3 days, first day the brewery tour, 2 days to recuperate ...:D

Benman
November 29th, 2005, 15:12
Originally posted by gjg
plan for 3 days, first day the brewery tour, 2 days to recuperate ...:D
Planning a BIG Euro tour for 2007. Only have 2 days slotted for Praha, so I only will have one day for recovery.;)

gjg
November 29th, 2005, 22:08
ok, that is no problem - perhaps some exploration of country side with closing in one of the village restaurants with Pilsner on tap would do?

Of course short flight on gg Airline to accomodate the transportation ... :thumb:

Benman
November 29th, 2005, 22:26
Originally posted by gjg

Of course short flight on gg Airline to accomodate the transportation ... :thumb:
Would that be before or after we had beer?

Don't think you want the Mrs. to....puke: .... all over that sweet interior!:D

gjg
November 30th, 2005, 22:23
before, before ...... of course with added utility of an Avant we can fold the back seat and dispose of her properly ....:thumb: