PDA

View Full Version : Transverse layout for the R9?

clam
October 12th, 2005, 20:40
I've been thinking again....

So the R9 is supposed to be a 2+2, which is hard to do with a mid-engined car. The engine bay of the Gallardo takes up half the car. Even if they stretch the chassis, it'll be hard to get those 2 (albeit symbolic) seats in there.

Also, a recent report says Lamborghini will recreate the Miura using R9 mechanics. If you are familiar with the Miura, you'll know it has a long hood, almost like a front engined car. Lamborghini was able to push the cockpit back so far b/c of the transverse layout of the engine with an integrated gearbox (which was a first, if I'm not mistaken, but now very common). If they want to re-create the Miura with that sexy long hood, they will have no option but to put the V12 in transversly.

If it uses R9 mechanics, then maybe the R9 will have a transverse layout as well. That would explain the 2+2 configuration. The only mid-engine 2+2 I can think of is the Dino 308, which has a transverse V8.

clam
October 12th, 2005, 20:41
and if you don't think it'll fit, here's the transverse V16 (Ferrari V8 x2) of the Cizeta Moroder.