PDA

View Full Version : 45K mi maintenance

JAXRS6
October 12th, 2005, 18:12
I just completed 2nd & final visit to my selling dealer (I bought new) for my 45K mi maintenance, which likely will be my last visit before the factory warranty runs out. Bottom line: a few surprises but everything fixed -- even the infamous power steering groan, at least for now.

The surprises were three undercarriage leaks. I knew something was up when I took it in because a thin stain was apparent on my garage floor. It did not smell like oil but they replaced the seal & gasket for oil anyway, then found leaks elsewhere:

1. "Trans pan gasket leaking ... removed trans pan and gasket, replaced." They also noted "no vendor marks on gasket," which suggests they were looking for non-dealer repair that might have voided my warranty.

2. "Found pass frt outer CV boot leaking during inspection ... remove and install outer CV joint boot."

3. "Front prop shaft seal defective during leak diag... found the rear trans seal (front prop shaft seal) leaking ... removed and replaced seal." (This sounds like two leaks at first, but after re-reading it, I think "rear trans seal" and "front prop shaft seal" are the same thing.)

All that was Sep 14 and there have been no signs of leaks since then.

I had to make a 2nd appointment due to the wait for parts. Took about 7-10 days for them to obtain the front arm rest covering that had flaked, plus a snap for the front engine cover that stopped working. Then another 7-10 days before I could land an appointment with a loaner. Took it in Monday, got it back yesterday, everything looks & runs great.

The power steering groan seems gone since my Sep 14 visit. As suggested by DaveyKid, bleeding the PS fluid was done, plus making sure all hoses are tight, since air leaks can lead to the frothing that apparently causes the groan.

As noted previously, my OnStar was replaced under warranty last Spring and has remained on green ever since.

I asked the service advisor if the items fixed this time around would be covered under the extended Pure Protection plan that I bought from them. He said yes, but I have not taken time to confirm this by reviewing my contract.

Everything fixed, and the car is running better than new ... faster than ever -- and I'm 100% stock!:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Has anyone else here been thru their 45K mi maintenance? How did it go?
-------------------------------------
OOPS -- Forgot to mention the "courtesy" reference on my dealer paperwork. It's by the flaking armrest fix, and the service advisor just confirmed that it means a discretionary decision was made in my favor.

In other words, interior wear is not really covered under warranty. But, as explained in the warranty booklet, sometimes things are covered under warranty anyway -- as a courtesy.

The advisor explained that for interior items like the armrests, they used to need approval from an AOA rep, but now it's left to the discretion of the service manager ... who decided in my favor. I asked, "Is it because I bought the car from you guys?" and he said that's only part of it; that they tend to give breaks to customers who regularly have their cars serviced there, regardless of where they were purchased.

Final PS: I'm giving Audi of Rochester Hills (MI) five out of five stars for these two visits.

Benman
October 13th, 2005, 20:15
Originally posted by JAXRS6
I just completed 2nd & final visit to my selling dealer (I bought new) for my 45K mi maintenance.

1. "Trans pan gasket leaking ... removed trans pan and gasket, replaced." They also noted "no vendor marks on gasket," which suggests they were looking for non-dealer repair that might have voided my warranty.

Final PS: I'm giving Audi of Rochester Hills (MI) five out of five stars for these two visits.
Jax, glad to hear the "final" trip went well with great courtesy shown towards you.

The checking the seals for non-dealer repairs sounds about right.

We recently had a BMW X5 in our shop a while back for a minor fender and door collision repair (insurance pay). The customer was very satisfied with the work and all was well. That is until about a year later.

See, recently the owners noticed a slight wind noise that was from the front driver side windsheild. After another month, it started to get more and more noticeable. They called the dealership to inform them that on their next "free" oil change, they'd like to have the tech look at it.

When the vehicle was brought in, the first thing asked was if the vehicle was ever in an accident. Not thinking there would be any issue, they informed them that it was, but passenger side fender and front door. Well, that was all it took. VOID warranty! The windshield was never even touched, still had the factory seal and all. Didn't matter. Even though they were never told, the agreement is that to maintain warranty, you must fix ALL collision damages at "approved" dealer repair shop. Even if it has nothing to do with a completely unrelated issue later on. All warranty will be voided otherwise.

Needless to say, they got a lawyer, and are in the middle of some drawn out paperwork. But the point is that manufactures ARE looking for ways to void warranties, ESPECIALLY those that give "free" maintenance. That is why I'm not suprised they were looking for it on your RS 6.

And people ask me why I'm NOT modding mine.:rolleyes: :p

Ben:addict:

Aronis
October 13th, 2005, 21:21
It is a shame that such BS is happening.

The Manufacture who cuts the BS first is going to capture and maintain many buyers of high end cars.

If you bring you car in for all those 'free maintence' services to maintain your warrantee, instead of simply doing an oil and filter change yourself, you run the risk of someone else screwing up your car.

I know of a certain Porsche dealership who had the 15 year old son of a colleage working there for the summer. He was doing oil changes on $100,000 Porsches. That is pathetic.

I hope that BMW owner and his Attorney rip BMW another one.

Mike

BBGT2
October 14th, 2005, 04:04
Originally posted by Aronis
It is a shame that such BS is happening.

The Manufacture who cuts the BS first is going to capture and maintain many buyers of high end cars.

If you bring you car in for all those 'free maintence' services to maintain your warrantee, instead of simply doing an oil and filter change yourself, you run the risk of someone else screwing up your car.

I know of a certain Porsche dealership who had the 15 year old son of a colleage working there for the summer. He was doing oil changes on $100,000 Porsches. That is pathetic.

I hope that BMW owner and his Attorney rip BMW another one.

Mike

Amen brother,
ben, that is sad.
If that is not a load of crap on the dealer, I dont know what is. I read an interesting article regarding oil filters that I buy for my shop, it clearly state's that if ANY auto manufacturer makes a warranty null and void simply because you didnt use their part BY LAW they (auto manuf.) have to has to supply YOU the owner their parts for free, if they prove that part that you had installed failed and caused your warranty issue they (auto manuf.) is not liable but the part manufacturer.
That is why in their owners manuals they recommend the OE parts, in most cases prob. in a majority of situations you are better of using O.E. parts, but for something that will cost considerbly less say a windshield that Audi wants $800 for and you can get it for $400 from Gerber guess which one I would get. They cannot refuse warranty for the wiper motor failing because you didnt use their windshield, they might try but they will lose if you pursue and they will lose a customer and I would do everything in my power to let everyone know to stay away from that place.

This is not a Russian Comminist country and they should not be allowed to force feed us this bulls+++t.
I hope and pray that guys lawyer stick's it to that BMW dealer, deep, real deep, ha another reason I would never buy anything with the initials BMW.

I aplogize for being so rash, I just hate it and it turns my stomach when these no good stealers do to people it gives other dealer a bad rap.

Bajo:addict:

Benman
October 14th, 2005, 15:47
Originally posted by Bajors6

If that is not a load of crap on the dealer, I dont know what is.
JAX,

never intended to take your thread OT (But I guess I was just born for that roll:blush: ), just was mentioning that it is NOT the least bit suprising that the Audi dealer WAS looking for the same excuse to void your warranty.

One thing that WAS suprising, is that they actually put it in PRINT that they were looking for ways to void your warranty!:bigeyes: Didn't think they would make that kind of slip up! Most wouldn't even have noticed it, but you did. And that wording, "no vendor marks on gasket," tells you they wanted out.

This is not necessarily a dealer thing. The manufactures themselves are the ones pushing for this. Obviously, I can not go in to specifics about the X5 case, but BMW of America was contacted. The responce was that since BMW supplies ALL maintenance, scheduled and UNscheduled (like Audi), they have the RIGHT to say what parts can and can't be used (our shop ONLY used factory OEM parts ordered FROM that dealer!?!?!), AND what repair facility can and can't be used! Yeah, I know, this is probably making some reader even more pissed off, but imagine the car owner! His insurance company (one of the better ones BTW) personally sent representatives out to inspect repairs to assure that they did indeed meet industry standards. They did and further commented to the dealer that said repairs had absolutely nothing to do with later discovered wind noise. It was also argued that if there was any chance possible that repairs DID contribute to wind noise, then why on Earth would it take an entire year to surface? Why not immediately afterwards? Very good questions hmm...

Again, I am glad that in your case JAX, you did not have any mods so as to give them any excuse. The dealer I'm sure is a nice one. But it is also very possible your experience could have changed if mods were indeed discovered.

Needless to say, I'm sure that the X5 owner will in the end win, but just for all who are conserned, this is becoming more and more common place in the repair industry. It makes my father sick when he sees the field he has been in for nearly 40 years becoming what it is due to car and paint manufactures along with insurance companies. Tough times.:cheers:

JAXRS6
October 14th, 2005, 17:22
Whoa -- this is getting out of hand, and it's mostly my fault: Dealer says warranty was NOT the reason....

From the beginning: I said the dealer notation "suggests" they were looking for a warranty violation. Well, my suggestion was wrong.

I just spoke to the service advisor, who said that when they book orders on the computer, AOA wants the vendor code, and my part didn't have one. Hence the notation, "No vendor marks on gasket."

"It had nothing to do with warranty," he said. "AOA just wants to keep track of who makes good products and who doesn't."

All this makes good sense to me, and besides, if one was looking for warranty violations, a tranny gasket is a pretty strange place IMO. Plus, this dealer has no reason to be sneaky with me because I have answered mod questions honestly throughout our seven year relationship.

In any case I apologize for suggesting something that turned out not to be true. :bow: But it was, after all, just a suggestion, not presented as a statement of fact.

I also checked my Pure Protection extended warranty. Items 1 and 3 in the original post should be covered under the Platinum plan, but the CV joint boots (Item 2) are excluded.

Benman
October 14th, 2005, 19:28
Originally posted by Benman

One thing that WAS suprising, is that they actually put it in PRINT that they were looking for ways to void your warranty! JAX,

First, I'd like to appologies for making this out of hand.

As I said, I'm suprised they DID put it in print. Now, of course they say, " "AOA just wants to keep track of who makes good products and who doesn't."
Hmm... Now, I'm NOT saying your dealer has any reasons what so ever to be sneaky, but my point is that was a slip up on their part to have that wording on your invoice. You can bet that as soon as you left, the individual who put it there got a firm talking to. It was never supposed to have been there in the first place. Again, please don't take it that I am being paranoid (who said that:D ), just wanted to give the heads up.

Afterall, what IF they HAD discovered that gaskets or any bolts had been loosened or tampered with (i.e. possible mods or accident from taking tranny out), would they have just said, " "AOA just wants to keep track of who makes good products and who doesn't" then? I'm thinking not. THEN, there would have been an issue. Something along the lines of, "Mr. Jax, it seems someone has had your transmission out, now why is that?" Of course when you would ask them how they could possibly tell that, a simple, "well, it is clearly visible that the bolts/ gaskets, etc.. have been loosened and reinstalled..."

Again, I am in no way bashing any dealer (especially one I have never met), just giving a heads up that dealers are ASKED by manufactures to investigate these things and not just go blindly covering everything under warranty. This is NOT in any way limited to "luxury" manufactures as several of the dealers we do business with report the same thing. It is not a dealer thing at all. Think about it, dealers get PAID to work on warranty issues, so they are not the ones refusing the service. It comes from higher up.

I'll finish by saying I am very glad to hear that you have a great relationship with your dealer. I also am happy for the most part with mine. The people I deal with are very kind and I would NEVER suspect them for doing anything deliberately "sneaky". That said, they are in NO control what so ever as to what is and what is not covered by warranty. Bribing them with goodies (a practice I engage in;) ) will only work so far. If I was to do any blatent mods, the dealer would be then put on the spot when explaining to AOA why this is a "warranty" issue. I do not want to put them in that situation as they have always been fair to me. In the end, if the dealer must choose between a customer and the manufacture, they will always pick the manufacture. And really, who could blame them?:cheers: