PDA

View Full Version : Head Light Adjustment

Aronis
September 26th, 2005, 16:33
I have noticed my drivers side head light is higher than my passenger side. Any info on adjusting these? I thought it was auto leveling???

Thanks,

Mike:mech:

BBGT2
September 26th, 2005, 16:38
Mike,

You are correct they are self leveling.
Something might be amiss there, it has to be checked via VAG system to see what is up, mght be a height sensor with incorrect measurement. Talk to your dealer they will take care of it.

Bajo:addict:

Aronis
September 26th, 2005, 16:45
I'll hook up the vag tonight!

Should be a NON RS6 Dealer trip, but you never know with these things....2.5 hours vs 5. hours.....um.....

Mike

nene
September 26th, 2005, 17:51
I think you are mis-understanding the self leveling mechanism, it the lights and beam patter first aligned properly.

You don't need to stinkin' VAG tool.

Self leveling:
This is the mechanismy by which the housings will lower if you are going on an incline, or raise if you are going down hill. I believe that is correct.

As for the beam pattern being straight all across the board, as you see it as you park against a wall for example, there is a manual leveling system right on the housing itself.
Look on top of the housing, and there are a couple of holes with a white looking screw driver insert. It should be a phillips.
The one closer to the grill adjusts the vertical pitch of the beam. The one closer to the fender adjust the vertical pitch of the beam. It's and easy DIY, and you don't need to VAG tool.

Look at the end of this article for manual adjustment. (http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1436621.phtml)

After you manually adjust, you can set that to the default setting if you wish, but no required:
Ross Tech article (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/xenonalignment.html)

BBGT2
September 26th, 2005, 18:19
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nene
[B]I think you are mis-understanding the self leveling mechanism, it the lights and beam patter first aligned properly.

You don't need to stinkin' VAG tool.

Nene,

I was simply stating that he has to check with a VAG tool as it has the test there for that and adjustment if necesary, also there is a fault code for just that purpose if that headlights do not adjust accordingly as it is what seems is happening. Manually adjusting HID lights is not advisable unless vehicle has been in an accident or headlight assembly has been removed from car. I wouldnt want to do it manually even though I have the knowledge and know how to do so, not with HID's that is for sure, ever seen a car with misaligned low beams, I have and would not want me to be that person drivign it cause trust me you will get pulled over by officer friendly.

Bajo:addict:

nene
September 26th, 2005, 19:06
I think that if you see both of them too low or too high where it impedes driving safely, than the use of the VAG tool is helpful.
But if one is mis-aligned, I believe it is safe to do it manually.

I do it all the time, especially as I help folks do the clear corner mod and such. That is what those knobs are there for. Alignment of the beam pattern.

I have yet to use the VAG tool to fix this type of issue. From the original post, I understood that only one housing had the beam pattern too high.

One could be suspicious that Ross-Tech just wants to sell more of their VAG tool, thus inflicting fear and that a simple beam pattern adjustment should only be done via their tool, or trip to dealer. I bet that if you go to your dealer, they will adjust it manually. If I remember, on my next trip, I'll ask them how they do it.

I posted both methods on my reply. Hopefully one of them will work.

BLITZEN
August 10th, 2007, 05:45
I AM RESURRECTING THIS THREAD FROM 2 YEARS AGO SINCE IT'S NOT COMPLETELY CLEAR...

The one closer to the grill adjusts the vertical pitch of the beam. The one closer to the fender adjust the vertical pitch of the beam. Ross Tech article (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/xenonalignment.html)

Is that from the Department of Redundancy Department? I think it's a typo. So can anyone tell me what the adjusters by the fender do? I can turn the top ones just a bit and notice a difference in distance (vertical), but the ones by the fenders seem to have no effect at all on the low beams. I would guess that they are horizontal adjusters, but I'm not seeing it working even if I turn them greater than 360 degrees.
Thanks for your help!

gjg
August 10th, 2007, 07:02
manual adjustment will work on high beams as they are fixed in the assembly.

When you do manual adjust, the low beam will also move and it has to be adjusted with vag-com if you need to.

Adust point is 6 mm (I think) hex wrench on top of the lamp assembly (Euro headlights, but DOT should be the same).

Mike, up against the wall and check the high beam first - if off, do manual adjust and only after that do low beams with vag-com. I'd go 1/8 of turn at the time...

bdtd :cheers:

BLITZEN
August 10th, 2007, 07:14
Sorry my question is still unanswered. What do the outside adjusters (by the fenders) do?

BLITZEN
August 15th, 2007, 04:53
Anyone? A little help on the exterior adjustors?

4everRS
November 22nd, 2009, 18:10
I'd like to briefly revive this thread.
My low beams seem to shine too low. Is it, in fact, 100% true that the only way to adjust this is though VAG? I understand the complexity of this car but this seems crazy. BTW my high beams also seem like they could be a little higher.
If there is a manual adjustment to this, is the general concenses that it is done by the nylon screws closest to the radiator?

vangelis
November 22nd, 2009, 19:58
I've been facing this problem for sometime, till I take it to the dealer and they have a very special tool only for this job. Its like a mirror with sensor facing the headlight with LCD showing how the light going out from headlight, low/high/right/left and via VAG the same tool can adjust the headlight till you can see the small sequare coming in the center between all 4 axies (High/Low/Right/Left). I did it for free cuz it was there already for major service :)

snoopra
November 22nd, 2009, 20:30
There's a earlier post above, from another forum, which has the instructions for manually adjusting the lights via the adjustment screw. Just park facing a wall, turn on the lights and align.

4everRS
November 23rd, 2009, 17:55
This is a very easy manual adjustment. I have an issue though. Attatched is a pic of the passenger side adjustment screw.

So the "ring" gear is missing. I literally pull that metal post it should be on in and out, and the headlight moves up and down!:w: Guess what happens when I hit a bump? Yep you're right, the beam falls.
Anyone know if this part can be replaced? Or does the whole headlight assembly have to be replaced?

I obviously see now why the beam looked low!

4everRS
November 25th, 2009, 13:58
After calling the stealership and finding out that they would sell me ONE headlight for $930, I decided to improvise. I used an aluminum collar with a set screw. They are very common at hardware stores and are typically used for drill bit to provide a depth stop. I found one that fit the post snuggly, pulled the post out to the desired beam height, and tightened down the set screw. I really seems to be working great. Someday, I will likely replace the headlamp assembly, but for now this does the trick. Attached is the pic.

MaxRS6
November 25th, 2009, 15:49
You and your creative ways are part of the economy's problem with cost conscious consumers not opening their wallets..:deal:

j/k- Sounds like you have a solution and kept a wad in the pocket. :mech: