PDA

View Full Version : Sport Auto drives the Audi RS4

Erik
September 18th, 2005, 17:05
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5481/file09546er.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=file09546er.jpg)http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5251/file09550dw.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=file09550dw.jpg)http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/376/file09563cz.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=file09563cz.jpg)http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6710/file09578ik.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=file09578ik.jpg)

...well, probably not the proper test - to name it, the "Supertest" - but in the article they say that thisīll follow soon, so what did Jo Übler - the man behind HvS - say, he liked the new 40/60 distribution because now with ESP off little drifts are possible - business as usual the Quattro is good for outstanding longitudinal performance, on the other hand understeering is again, but this time a minor, issue with over 1000kg on the front axle of the overall 1725kg - which is unfortunately again quite heavy...
of course he enjoyed the engine although some might miss that beautiful boost of the V6 BiTurbo, gearbox is definitely an improvement of the already very good working one from the last edition, acceleration with 4.9sec is on 911S level, up to 200 the new one is 2 sec faster than the old RS4 - engine sound is very good - only major issue is the 250kmh limit...

HHR: due to itīs layout the RS4 is not that good for a narrow track like HHR it has simply too much weight on the front axle so understeering is quite an issue, nevertheless the RS4 is good for a 1:15.8, nearly as good as a Porsche 911 and better than a BMW M3, also because of the outstanding braking performance in combination with the Pirelli Corsa tires...

buyalemon
September 18th, 2005, 21:21
I don't really get the "hate against understeer", too much of it is another thing! ...I think the most important thing is that the car goes where you aim! And among roadcars ..how many cars doesn't understeer at hockenheim?

I'm absolut sure that the car is just as Audi people want their Audi RS4 to be ...and I'm certain Audi can make "tricky" oversteer cars aswell ...but once again ..the important thing is that the car ends up where the driver wants it to end up!

2 sec faster up to 200 than old RS4? ..the old one was faster than 19,1 sec right??

//M

Benman
September 19th, 2005, 16:03
0-200 in 17.1? Well then, with a properly broke in engine, it should be good for high 16s.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

Hawk
September 19th, 2005, 18:39
M3 is incredible:)

Benman
September 19th, 2005, 18:46
Originally posted by Hawk
M3 is incredible:)
Superman wears red underwear.:trash:

7:53 RS6
September 19th, 2005, 23:16
Originally posted by Benman
0-200 in 17.1? Well then, with a properly broke in engine, it should be good for high 16s.:thumb:

Well it looks that the CSL is faster to 200km as well :D .
My guess is that even on the ring the RS4 is slower
Ben can you belive i stayed at the ring for 14 days, gee we eat brake pads for breakfust and lunch. Just got back home.

Cheers

Oh by the way, can you belive that i saw 3 pagani zonda on the ring the same day :MTM:

Benman
September 19th, 2005, 23:32
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Well it looks that the CSL is faster to 200km as well :D .
My guess is that even on the ring the RS4 is slower
Ben can you belive i stayed at the ring for 14 days, gee we eat brake pads for breakfust and lunch. Just got back home.

Cheers

Oh by the way, can you belive that i saw 3 pagani zonda on the ring the same day :MTM:
Yes, I can believe BOTH! If I lived closer, I would be spending ALL of my freetime at the Ring! And as for Pagani, nothing on this planet attracts sweet rides like the Ring!

Back OT, we'll just see about the RS 4/CSL Ring times.;)

sturs6
September 20th, 2005, 02:33
Originally posted by Benman
Superman wears red underwear.:trash:

Good one Ben!!
:rotflmao: :rs4kiss:

Erik
September 20th, 2005, 07:35
Of course the CSL will be faster than the RS4. I have no doubt about that. They are quite different cars, just take a look at them and count the doors for starters.

Dave
September 20th, 2005, 07:50
Absolutly Eric,

I have 3 kids so the CSL is a non-starter, and to be honest, all i'm interested in is day to day performance..

so what if the CSL is 0.3 seconds faster round a track..

These cars are about driving on roads day in day out, wet or dry weather..

If i want to beat them round a track i'll go and buy a noble.

September 20th, 2005, 10:39
Well before the time on Hockenheim came out, many here did belive it was going to be faster im sure,(horsepower is not everything) it has yet driven the ring so we will see how it comes out. It should preform better on the ring then on hockenheim for sure.

I did see 6-8 new RS4 on the ring a few days ago. It was Audi experience driving, and the peopel driving was mostly spanish car journalists.

Well acually Quattro GMBH had the CSL in mind when they build the RS4, (as Ben said the Quattro guys did over a long period of time drive CSLs)just look at the RS4 now and we all can se that. They arnt there yet, but Audi are trying very hard, they have left the 50/50 quattro in favor for a better comunicating sportscar.

They mean buissines and in the future they will doit im sure.

So i dont agree that the 2 cars are so very different, even Audi have 2 doors more. You can still sit 4 persons in them and Audi did do their best to make a competitor to BMW M3.

Ps, and you dont necesery need 6 or 8 pistons calipers to make good stopp preformans, the CSL have singel piston and have very god brakes, Ds

buyalemon
September 20th, 2005, 14:02
I might be called an idiot for this ..but anyway ..a small calculation!
When this magazine tested the B5 RS4 it did the 2,6 km hockenheim track in 1,18,5 and the 26 km "ring" in 8,25 min
The new car did 1,15,8 at hockenheim ...if it takes 3 sec on the old car in 2,6 km ...it should atleast be able to take 20 on 26 km ...or??

//Magnus

Fab
September 20th, 2005, 14:46
hopefully yes :incar: :rs4addict

Benman
September 20th, 2005, 15:19
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6

Well acually Quattro GMBH had the CSL in mind when they build the RS4, (as Ben said the Quattro guys did over a long period of time drive CSLs) just look at the RS4 now and we all can se that. So i dont agree that the 2 cars are so very different, even Audi have 2 doors more.

This is true. They really were aiming for the CSL (albeit, not as hardcore). quattro wanted a better driver's car than the last RS 4, but as Dave mentioned, one more every day friendly than the CSL. And they did do extensive back to back testing on the track vs CSL as well. They used the CSL as the benchmark for what they wanted the RS 4 to achieve. So, considering it is a fair amount heavier and has far worse weight distribution, I'd say they did a job very well done.

And I think the Ring times of the two cars will be very close.

Hawk
September 20th, 2005, 18:24
Originally posted by buyalemon
When this magazine tested the B5 RS4 it did the 2,6 km hockenheim track in 1,18,5 and the 26 km "ring" in 8,25 min
The new car did 1,15,8 at hockenheim ...if it takes 3 sec on the old car in 2,6 km ...it should atleast be able to take 20 on 26 km ...or??

//Magnus
The new RS4 has Pzero Corsa, not for the B5 RS4:rolleyes:

QuattroFun
September 20th, 2005, 18:32
Geez, our blue-white and black friends seem to be over here in spades and have a curiously strong urge to comment on the RS4 whether they consider buying it or not. A nasty man would recall what inspector Callahan had to say about others' opinions back in the 70s ...:D

September 20th, 2005, 19:57

//Magnus

Ehh, if the B5 RS4 did lap a 26km ring in 8.25 min, its unreall fast:D

I know you mean a ring that is a bit over 20 km:thumb: 20km and ca 800 meter i think it is.

The ring and the grand prix curcuit put together dont even make 26km, just wanted to point that out.

buyalemon
September 20th, 2005, 20:49
It's a test agains E39 M5 ...if you search the RS4 forum for "RS4 M5" you'll find it in page nr 2

September 21st, 2005, 09:00
It's a test agains E39 M5 ...if you search the RS4 forum for "RS4 M5" you'll find it in page nr 2

I understand, just wanted to say no RS4 or M5 lap that fast.

Its like the cars will go around grand prix cuiruit and the ring put together in one lap in 8,25 and thats a no, no.

Grand prix and the ring in one lap make a total of ca, 25km.

The ring is ca 20,8km and thats where the RS4 do 8,25

buyalemon
September 21st, 2005, 09:26
Exactly ..that's very correct :revs: ...but my point still stands!