PDA

View Full Version : Euro Mirrors are in!

nene
September 15th, 2005, 13:59
I've had these for over 2 months waiting to be put on. Well, yesterday in the middle of the night, I just had to get it done. At least it's only a 10 minute job, which in turn turned out to be 30 minutes with picture taking. By the end of my 20 minute commute this morning, I was already used to them. They are not really that bad. These are heated units, and they dim as well.

Some of the differences:
1. Passenger side no longer reminds me that 'objects in mirror may be closer than they appear', which for those that own an RS6 know that that is ever hardly the case.
2. Driver's side mirror, has a convex edge of about 2+ cm (about 1.5"), where it helps decrease the size of the blind spot.

Installation:
That is really not that bad. Make sure to pull the outter edge towards you, and find someone with skinny fingers if you don't have them. Use the 'finger peace sign' approach to get a handle on the bottom right (passenger side), or bottom left (drivers side) edge of the mirror. Pull it a bit, and you should start getting a bit more room to add another finger or two in there. Now pull until it pops out of place. Wires should hold mirror in place, and prevent it from falling to the ground.
Use plyers to get the wire tabs out of place. They are pretty well wedged in.
When you pop the mirror back into place, use hand cupping approach on both edges, and push it in. It should hear two popping sounds when it is nicely snug back into place.

Part numbers in the pix. Click image for larger size.

http://htms.org/img/072005/EuroMirrors/Euro1sm.jpg (http://htms.org/img/072005/EuroMirrors/Euro1lg.jpg)

Benman
September 15th, 2005, 19:09
nene,

Is that just some black tape around the metal for protection, or did you go and get the painted mirrors? Just curious as I like the fact that the S and RS cars have REAL metal mirrors (well, not the new RS 4 which has plastic), something not even Bentley can say!

Ben:addict:

nene
September 15th, 2005, 19:47
Ben,
The mirrors are not the full housing. It is only the mirror portion.
If I read your post correctly, I believe you think that the pix shown are for the full housing, and that is not the case.

The black rubber around the mirrored glass is same as the one you should have in the stock mirrors. The housing itself is still that nice metal it's always been.

The replacement is not for the whole assembly. Only the glass portion. I hope this clarifies it.

Benman
September 15th, 2005, 19:53
Originally posted by nene

The replacement is not for the whole assembly. Only the glass portion. I hope this clarifies it.
Clarifies perfectly. Never maximized your picture, so from my screen looked like black housing!:blush: :D

Yeah, the rental cars in Germany ALL have that really cool convexed edge which really helps with the blind spot. Another cool thing we DON'T get here!:(

J0X
September 15th, 2005, 21:03
What's different from the US mirrors? I mean, beside the "Objects in.." label.

Benman
September 16th, 2005, 01:23
Originally posted by J0X
What's different from the US mirrors? I mean, beside the "Objects in.." label.
Look closely at the driver side one. It has a "split" in it, sort of the kind used on big rig trucks so that you have a built in blind spot mirror as well. Very effective IMHO.