PDA

View Full Version : I have seen the Ruf DVD

Erik
September 1st, 2005, 14:33
OK.

I have seen the RUF Fazination DVD (PAL).
The movie is without doubt the most expensive movie I have ever seen about Nürburgring.
One DVD is about Alois Ruf, how he was raised and how things ended up the way they did.
Perhaps it sounds boring, but it's far from that as they mix in the restauration of an old 901, the Yellowbird records and "super 8 film" from his childhood (a lot of cars and racing!)
All together a very pleasant mix of Porsches and how Ruf tuned them.
Old racing movies with odd Porsches in strange tracks, speed records (in rain!) and interviews with people who drove the cars.

They present Ruf model after Ruf model, from Yellow bird to R Turbo and RT12.

They drive the R Turbo on the Nürburgring (The Green Hell) trying to imitate the original Yellowbird video. But they use better and more cameras, more angles etc.

The driver seems to be Mr Böse (Mr. Angry ;) ). I had a couple of laps with him on Hockenheim and oh boy the man can drive!
Scandinavian flicks and the drift all thru the bends!
It is seldom that you get to see driving like this.

There is also a section with their own car, the R50.
How they built it etc. I was under the impression this car was far from developed. In the movie you see it drive the Nurburgring and on the road! God! What a creation! I didn't know it was possible to build a car that low. I would be surprised if it didn't outcompetet the CGT.

The other DVD is a re-cut of the classic Yellowbird on Nürburgring.
2 full laps from 1990.

I'm a sucker for car related DVDs. I have spent literally thousands
on them and many are just so bad it just isn't possible to finish them.
The only DVDs that hold some quality are Jeremy Clarkson's, with his humor and budget.

80 bucks for a DVD is expensive. But I would rather buy this again than spend it on the crap that usually is available.
I know that Ruf had a very high budget to make the videos.

If you have an interest in Porsches and tuning this DVD is a must.

http://www.rufautocenter.com/parts/faszination.asp

jonas_dg
September 1st, 2005, 15:10
the best motoring dvd's are usually quite nice